Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 05:53 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,890,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Florida doesn't need any of that...affluent New Yorkers leave their home state, and bring Billions into Florida, and that is all we need.

Florida's colleges overall are ranked higher by US News & World Report too.

Miami's becoming the Wall Street of the South

Florida's state finances are much better than New York's. How many Florida car tags are you seeing up there in New York anyways?

Florida's population eclipsed New Yorks for a reason, & New York is now looking up at Florida. Maybe it was Florida's superior response to Covid, & not sticking covid positive patients into nursing homes like NY did.
Florida also has much better leaders!! Think about it folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 07:48 AM

8,989 posts, read 6,028,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
I have visited museums around the world.
Have seen 2 broadway plays and found them boring.
Truely enjoyed performances including the Berlin Philharmonic while in Germany
I was fortunate in my travels, no big deal if some have not. That's the point. If you are in NY, you don't have to travel to see world class museums and hear international orchestras in world class venues. They are already in the city.
However, that does not make one a "rube", but it does make one sound snobbish when calling others that.

Even so, have you ever:

~Hooked a 25 inch Redfish in the mangroves while the Sun is rising on a beautiful Florida morning? While looking out for gators, no.
~Spent the day at the beach with family and friends? getting sunburned, skin cancer, and sand in your butt? No.
~Walked a nature trail in January while wearing shorts? getting bit by all sorts of bugs and insects, no.

Why would some choose Florida over NY, if you have to ask, you'll never understand. I know why people choose Florida, but I don't think it's the right choice.
My comments are in red.

I was responding to the inane comments from beach43ofus which included "NYC is a very dangerous place...parts of it is just drug infused zombies and drug dealers after dark." Generalized comments such as these not further a dialog. I can almost hear the hyperventilating.

elchevere posited a more balanced response which does address the "whys" of the locations. This is a meaningful response.

"as a former NY'er (born and raised through college) who migrated to Florida after 33 years in California, FL does supersede NY in the following:

1. Weather--people do move from NY to FL for the climate; far fewer move from FL to NY for the climate
2. Income tax--nonexistent in FL
3. Homeless situation--not nonexistent but a blip on the radar v. NYC
4. Crime--actually better in FL than NY
5. Real estate--more bang for the buck (sq footage, more amenities--at least on an urban to urban comparison).

There are areas in which NY does supersede FL:

1. more diverse terrain (mountains, etc),
2. arts/entertainment/theatre/culture (NYC),
3. universities (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, and more > U of F, U of Miami, etc);
4. more career and wealth building opportunities in more fields.
5. better mass transit"

Old 07-12-2022, 08:33 AM

25,468 posts, read 12,587,741 times
[quote=Lillie767;63785081]My comments are in red.

I was responding to the inane comments from beach43ofus which included "NYC is a very dangerous place...parts of it is just drug infused zombies and drug dealers after dark." Generalized comments such as these not further a dialog. I can almost hear the hyperventilating.

Since you won't believe me that parts of NYC are dangerous...

https://propertyclub.nyc/article/mos...orhoods-in-nyc

If you are still in denial, I can't help you.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:21 AM

572 posts, read 373,547 times
Good post - I agree with just about all of it. It's also the reason why my love of Florida really only extends to South Florida with honorable mentions for Tallahassee and Gainesville.

If one desires any semblance of culture, intellectual curiosity, and overall future forward progress (transit, tech improvements, diversified economy etc), there's very few areas of Florida that provides that. If one never leaves this state or travels for any extended period of time, they may think I'm exaggerating, but unfortunately I am not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
It’s so interesting and hilarious for a state surrounded by open water and so many tourist yet FL is surprisingly insular.

Also smug.

I lived in FL for one year, Sarasota exactly, everyday I heard, read and witnessed people navel-gazing how great FL is, how “living my best life!” And how FL is so outstanding in many, every way.

It’s always “are you from the North?” “People from the North” “the rude New Yorkers” “we are becoming the new NYC” “we are better than California!” “Owning the libs!” “So many California plates! So many New York plates!” “People are moving in droves to Fl!”

Very small town mentality.

If I come back to this board 6 months from now I already know what people are and have been talking about, because it’s so predictable. No progress, no enlightening intellectual subject, no curiosity of the world outside FL, no desire to truly improve FL and make it a more interesting and competitive state, to make the state with more substance so you don’t just attract hedonistic trashy low rent people who are escaping from some trouble or snowbirds who don’t care about education and local development but their leisure, make it more attractive for talent pool and highly competitive individuals. instead the same thing over and over and over again.

Old 07-12-2022, 01:40 PM

25,468 posts, read 12,587,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Being a rube is passed from generation to generation unless someone yells Stop and breaks the chain. Have you ever visited a museum or seen a Broadway play? Have you heard the Vienna Philharmonic perform in Carnegie Hall?

Why would some choose NY over Florida, if you have to ask, you'll never understand.
My great-grandparents lived in Brooklyn (ran an A&P), my grandparents did too (Bay Ridge), & my Parents (Fort Hamilton H.S), & I was born at Brooklyn Methodist. Are you calling us former New Yorkers rube's? Did we just become rube's after we left NY, or were we rube's when we still lived in NY?

I've likely been to more Broadway plays & museums in NYC than most New Yorkers...been there...done that.

Your personal attack missed its mark...wide LEFT!

New York was a nice place to visit, (when Guiliani was Mayor), but none of my family wanted to live there, so they all left...me too.

NY'ers are so that Florida has passed them by, it makes them wanna , while us Floridians are just chillin, not worrying...being happy down here in Margaritaville

The #1 bumper sticker down here says "don't New York my Florida!"

Old 07-12-2022, 01:43 PM

8,989 posts, read 6,028,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Since you won't believe me that parts of NYC are dangerous...

https://propertyclub.nyc/article/mos...orhoods-in-nyc

If you are still in denial, I can't help you.

I don't need it. How fortunate for both of us.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:58 PM

417 posts, read 265,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
My comments are in red.

elchevere posited a more balanced response which does address the "whys" of the locations. This is a meaningful response.

"as a former NY'er (born and raised through college) who migrated to Florida after 33 years in California, FL does supersede NY in the following:

1. Weather--people do move from NY to FL for the climate; far fewer move from FL to NY for the climate
2. Income tax--nonexistent in FL
3. Homeless situation--not nonexistent but a blip on the radar v. NYC
4. Crime--actually better in FL than NY
5. Real estate--more bang for the buck (sq footage, more amenities--at least on an urban to urban comparison).

There are areas in which NY does supersede FL:

1. more diverse terrain (mountains, etc),
2. arts/entertainment/theatre/culture (NYC),
3. universities (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, and more > U of F, U of Miami, etc);
4. more career and wealth building opportunities in more fields.
5. better mass transit"
I get it, there are people who will never be happy in Florida AND if they did return to their original state (even though they dont' dare) would complain how that place has changed for the worse.

I'm not a New York snob. ~ Kathleen Turner

Old 07-13-2022, 03:44 AM

21,588 posts, read 31,083,742 times
Quote:
It’s so interesting and hilarious for a state surrounded by open water and so many tourist yet FL is surprisingly insular.

Also smug.

I lived in FL for one year, Sarasota exactly, everyday I heard, read and witnessed people navel-gazing how great FL is, how “living my best life!” And how FL is so outstanding in many, every way.

It’s always “are you from the North?” “People from the North” “the rude New Yorkers” “we are becoming the new NYC” “we are better than California!” “Owning the libs!” “So many California plates! So many New York plates!” “People are moving in droves to Fl!”

If I come back to this board 6 months from now I already know what people are and have been talking about, because it’s so predictable. No progress, no enlightening intellectual subject, no curiosity of the world outside FL, no desire to truly improve FL and make it a more interesting and competitive state, to make the state with more substance so you don’t just attract hedonistic trashy low rent people who are escaping from some trouble or snowbirds who don’t care about education and local development but their leisure, make it more attractive for talent pool and highly competitive individuals. instead the same thing over and over and over again.
Well, people *are* moving to FL in droves, specifically from the Northeast and California. This is a statistic that can’t really be refuted, so I guess those Floridians you encountered are/were correct.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:43 AM

12,069 posts, read 7,857,543 times
Quote:

Also smug.

Well you have to understand, the cost of living is literally up 60% since 2020 in Florida. It is an insane increase due to heavy migration.

I lived in Florida from 2010s to 2020 (on and off), until my parents moved out.

We bought our house for $150k. They sold it for 525k.

We rented a one bedroom apartment in 2010 for $865, upgraded to a two bedroom that was $1040.

Now, that same one bedroom apartment was $1799 and a very similar two bedroom we rented is $2600.

The job my friend worked in 2010 paid $9 an hour. Today it pays $12 an hour.

The job I worked in 2014 paid $7.92 an hour. Today that job pays $10 an hour.

A starting teacher at my local high school made $38k in 2010, now that same starting teacher makes $47.5k.

Wages have not increased with the price gauging of rent and home prices in Florida.

Old 07-13-2022, 04:36 PM

21,588 posts, read 31,083,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Well you have to understand, the cost of living is literally up 60% since 2020 in Florida. It is an insane increase due to heavy migration.

I lived in Florida from 2010s to 2020 (on and off), until my parents moved out.

We bought our house for $150k. They sold it for 525k.

We rented a one bedroom apartment in 2010 for $865, upgraded to a two bedroom that was $1040.

Now, that same one bedroom apartment was $1799 and a very similar two bedroom we rented is $2600.

The job my friend worked in 2010 paid $9 an hour. Today it pays $12 an hour.

The job I worked in 2014 paid $7.92 an hour. Today that job pays $10 an hour.

A starting teacher at my local high school made $38k in 2010, now that same starting teacher makes $47.5k.

Wages have not increased with the price gauging of rent and home prices in Florida.
It’s not price gouging. It’s supply and demand. That’s just how it works.

As for wages, I make a heck of a lot more in the same line of work in FL than I ever made in Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida