Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 05:39 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,132,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I'm in SWFL. Many more now from places like NY, MA, NJ, PA, CT and such than there are from the midwest or upper south.

Especially during season the Northeast way outnumbers the midwest and other locations around there.

NY, NJ, MA have taken over SWFL.
I don't necessarily see that as a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 08:06 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
Until very recently it was generally understood that the vast majority of people who choose to relocate to FL do so for the winter weather. In the past couple years I've noticed a trend that some hyper-political people are promoting the theory that now most people moving to FL are doing so for political reasons, and that FL is becoming THE place to be, the center of the universe.

I live in the metro NYC area. Nowadays most people I know who move from here to Florida (even retirement age people) are doing it for political reasons. So besides validating the point you're saying, unlike in the past, more NYers coming to FL doesn't necessarily make it bluer anymore (if anything, it makes NY itself even more blue).

Old 06-22-2022, 08:19 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I just hope it does stay red... with the influx of people from NY, Illinois, California, etc there's a good chance it may turn purple.
Purple? It will eventually turn blue.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:07 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Purple? It will eventually turn blue.

The other issue is that even when they're Republican from places like NYC, NJ, MA they're RINOs mostly. That's how you end up with the likes of Rick Scott and Charlie Crist who was Republican in the past.

The FL house and senate is big time RINOS as well. Look at the crappy gun laws. No constitutional carry, no open carry, red flag law, 3 day wait periods, etc.

I'm from Missouri and the Republicans there are far more to the right on guns, and abortion.

A few of the Republicans here in FL could be democrats in Missouri.

It can swing either way. Gillum for example just barely lost. Republican governors in FL typically just barely win. Luckily they're elected in midterm elections that typically have heavier Republican turnout.

These Republicans from the northeast are NOT the type you'd find in Missouri, Texas, Idaho, Mississippi or Kansas.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I live in the metro NYC area. Nowadays most people I know who move from here to Florida (even retirement age people) are doing it for political reasons. So besides validating the point you're saying, unlike in the past, more NYers coming to FL doesn't necessarily make it bluer anymore (if anything, it makes NY itself even more blue).

Actually, NYC does have a sizeable Republican voting base as is seen in the past with the mayors and such.

However Republicans from the northeast are RINOS many of them. As I explained in my other post they're not the type you'd find in Idaho or Missouri.

Example down here in FL I find attitudes about firearms more moderate than my home state of MIssouri. Around here people don't like the idea of constitutional carry or open carry as much. Missouri is constitutional carry and open carry. That same behavior in FL can get you a felony possibly if concealing without a permit while in MO it's legal behavior.

I find the attitude towards gays and abortion more moderate here in FL as well. Up in Missouri in most places abortion and gays are frowned upon. Here in the PG area gays are pretty much out in the open and tolerated which is kinda shocking due to the age demographic around here. In many parts of Missouri you'd get run out of town.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:02 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Wink New Yorkers can't stand..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
The "BIG APPLE" is rotten to its core.

...while Miami's is sinking (and the King tides, etc. keep rising and rolling in)!

Enjoy it while it lasts, folks!

Old 06-23-2022, 09:56 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
Quote:
The other issue is that even when they're Republican from places like NYC, NJ, MA they're RINOs mostly. That's how you end up with the likes of Rick Scott and Charlie Crist who was Republican in the past.

The FL house and senate is big time RINOS as well. Look at the crappy gun laws. No constitutional carry, no open carry, red flag law, 3 day wait periods, etc.

I'm from Missouri and the Republicans there are far more to the right on guns, and abortion.

It can swing either way. Gillum for example just barely lost. Republican governors in FL typically just barely win. Luckily they're elected in midterm elections that typically have heavier Republican turnout.

These Republicans from the northeast are NOT the type you'd find in Missouri, Texas, Idaho, Mississippi or Kansas.

Completely agree except that I'd hardly call Rick Scott a RINO. Charlie Crist obviously (besides that he quit the Republican Party).

Regarding your 2nd post, some NYC area Republican voters are RINOs by your definition (in that they are fiscally conservative but socially moderate and sometimes even socially liberal) but not all. Staten Island is quite red and many would be as conservative as someone from Idaho or Missouri (I'll agree not all though). Being from Westchester just north of NYC I can tell you there are pockets of red in the Crestwood neighborhood of Yonkers (LOTS of Trump signs on lawns there) and in the suburbs of Bronxville and Eastchester. Further north the exurb of Putnam County is pretty red too. Suffolk County in eastern LI is significantly more red than blue (their congressman, Lee Zeldin, is basically a Trumper running for governor), and Nassau County in Long Island closer to the City is purple but more red than most of the rest of the metro area is (for example Westchester County outside of the areas I mentioned are solidly blue regardless of income), their incumbent County Executive recently lost to a Republican.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:59 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:

DeSantis was pretty much an unknown entity when he ran against Gillum in the 2017 governor's race. He had a good record of accomplishments in the military and as a state legislator, and these showed his good leadership skills, this is why I voted for him. But after close to four years as FL governor, he's sure not an unknown entity anymore. I don't think ( at least I hope), the governor's race will be a close one this year. With any luck ( and preventions to keep the dems from stuffing the ballot box or otherwise gaming the election), DeSantis will win by a very large margin.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Completely agree except that I'd hardly call Rick Scott a RINO. Charlie Crist obviously (besides that he quit the Republican Party).

Regarding your 2nd post, some NYC area Republican voters are RINOs by your definition (in that they are fiscally conservative but socially moderate and sometimes even socially liberal) but not all. Staten Island is quite red and many would be as conservative as someone from Idaho or Missouri (I'll agree not all though). Being from Westchester just north of NYC I can tell you there are pockets of red in the Crestwood neighborhood of Yonkers (LOTS of Trump signs on lawns there) and in the suburbs of Bronxville and Eastchester. Further north the exurb of Putnam County is pretty red too. Suffolk County in eastern LI is significantly more red than blue (their congressman, Lee Zeldin, is basically a Trumper running for governor), and Nassau County in Long Island closer to the City is purple but more red than most of the rest of the metro area is (for example Westchester County outside of the areas I mentioned are solidly blue regardless of income), their incumbent County Executive recently lost to a Republican.

Scott is a RINO. He's anti gun.

Trump also appealed to the moderate Republicans and indies as well. Trump isn't far right which I think in FL helped him get those close victories.

FL Republicans are more moderate overall to appeal the the base. Since you have a lot from new england here if you ran far right Republicans from southern Missouri or Arkansas that would be a problem appealing to those voters in South FL.

Socially FL is MUCH more moderate. I notice here in SWFL for example people are a lot more tolerant towards gays compared to my state of Missouri. Same with guns. A lot of people I run into here are not fond of open carry, constitutional carry, and think there shoudl be certain regulations. In most areas of Missouri it's the opposite.

That big anti gun bill Republicans passed and Rick Scott signed, after that was passed in FL they introduced it in MO just so it could have a hearing and please the democraps. They got laughed at and the same bill in MO was DOA.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:08 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,208,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
...while Miami's is sinking (and the King tides, etc. keep rising and rolling in)!

Enjoy it while it lasts, folks!
NYC is one big storm away from being buried in the sea too....

Hurricane Sandy anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida