Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2022, 10:05 PM
 
3,834 posts, read 3,354,890 times
Reputation: 2657

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It’s not price gouging. It’s supply and demand. That’s just how it works.

As for wages, I make a heck of a lot more in the same line of work in FL than I ever made in Connecticut.

Teacher wages in FL are a joke. Especially when you see some of the students down here how they behave in public schools.


Sure, 53k for example might not be that bad of pay and get a couple months in the summer off, BUT these kids are monsters many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2022, 10:16 PM
 
3,834 posts, read 3,354,890 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
I get it, there are people who will never be happy in Florida AND if they did return to their original state (even though they dont' dare) would complain how that place has changed for the worse.

I'm not a New York snob. ~ Kathleen Turner

A lot in my sub division have sold in the last 8 months. Most seem to have moved out of FL. GA, NC, SC, one moved back home to IN and another back to central IL. Various reasons. Many said the seasonal traffic bombardment, healthcare, higher cost etc. GA was much cheaper and they got more land.


oh and here is a LOLz. So a house like mine just down the street listed for 459k, same build as me. Another house just down the street listed for 535k same build. Only difference is they have a fence and a larger patio and lani they installed themselves.


LOL. 459k had a 15k price cut just now been up on market for a month. Looks to have nice, new carpeting too because the cheap builders grade isn't in it. Probably would get them down to 450k if someone really wanted it since it's not moving.


You could install your own fence and lani for far cheaper.


Btw this house for 535k also doesn't have a pool.


I'm noticing this as well. Same houses and big gaps in listing price due to the realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2022, 03:59 AM
 
21,649 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Reputation: 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Teacher wages in FL are a joke. Especially when you see some of the students down here how they behave in public schools.

Sure, 53k for example might not be that bad of pay and get a couple months in the summer off, BUT these kids are monsters many of them.
I said nothing about teachers. I can only speak for myself, and my salary went up by 60%. If you don’t like what teachers get paid, don’t become one. Easy fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2022, 10:20 AM
 
Location: SoFlo
645 posts, read 412,613 times
Reputation: 1319
For sure...It's certainly a low paying, thankless job and now we want to restrict their teaching of American history and require them to carry a gun?! Unless one has serious intrinsic desire to teach, go private school or leave the profession all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Teacher wages in FL are a joke. Especially when you see some of the students down here how they behave in public schools.


Sure, 53k for example might not be that bad of pay and get a couple months in the summer off, BUT these kids are monsters many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2022, 11:19 AM
 
417 posts, read 268,621 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
For sure...It's certainly a low paying, thankless job and now we want to restrict their teaching of American history and require them to carry a gun?! Unless one has serious intrinsic desire to teach, go private school or leave the profession all together.
That is funny, but wrong.
Most beginning Teachers, historically, do not last more than 5 years. This is for whatever reasons such as mis-guided expectations or the fact that Colleges of Education do not prepare them in a realistic manner for the job ahead ("clap your hand once and you will have the whole class's attention" ).

But the real negative aspect of teaching these days is the lack of student discipline, no support from administrations running on the Peter Principle, disinterested parents, and entitled children. Classroom have become unruly and for some unsafe. This has nothing to do with teaching history.

But you are right about going to a private school, because many will not tolerate the crazy behavior and will have greater parent involvement.

I would not recommend the profession and also would advise to home school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2022, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Free State of Florida
25,856 posts, read 12,890,963 times
Reputation: 19385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I don't need it. How fortunate for both of us.
Since you cant admit that NYC is crime ridden, how about trash ridden? 1 Publication called NYC the #2 dirtiest place in the World!

https://nypost.com/2022/07/15/mayor-...dirty-streets/

scroll down to the see the picture of a large pile of trash on a sidewalk that has become common in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2022, 10:11 AM
 
Location: SoFlo
645 posts, read 412,613 times
Reputation: 1319
It was a joke…mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
That is funny, but wrong.
Most beginning Teachers, historically, do not last more than 5 years. This is for whatever reasons such as mis-guided expectations or the fact that Colleges of Education do not prepare them in a realistic manner for the job ahead ("clap your hand once and you will have the whole class's attention" ).

But the real negative aspect of teaching these days is the lack of student discipline, no support from administrations running on the Peter Principle, disinterested parents, and entitled children. Classroom have become unruly and for some unsafe. This has nothing to do with teaching history.

But you are right about going to a private school, because many will not tolerate the crazy behavior and will have greater parent involvement.

I would not recommend the profession and also would advise to home school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2022, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Florida
14,968 posts, read 9,837,261 times
Reputation: 12085
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Florida doesn't need any of that...affluent New Yorkers leave their home state, and bring Billions into Florida, and that is all we need.

Florida's colleges overall are ranked higher by US News & World Report too.

Miami's becoming the Wall Street of the South

Florida's state finances are much better than New York's. How many Florida car tags are you seeing up there in New York anyways?

Florida's population eclipsed New Yorks for a reason, & New York is now looking up at Florida. Maybe it was Florida's superior response to Covid, & not sticking covid positive patients into nursing homes like NY did.
All true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top