Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Look I do see your point about the heat even despite my unadulterated love of Florida weather. My question was in attempt to get some feedback into why people would willing choose to live ANYwhere that the weather is undesirable for them. I'm not talking kids who have to live where their parents choose or somebody whose job relocates them to live here, I know the "no duh" reasons. I was wondering what reasons a fully capable adult would give to rationalize "suffering". I know if I were magically lived in Seattle all of a sudden, I would desperately find a way to move back to Florida. I'm judging that you're on your way back to MA in October for that same reason.
That was my "no duh" reason, it was for a job. I have been here since 1994, so I am not a noob to FL. I have just grown to really not like the heat. If it were not this hot, FL is a great place.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
That was my "no duh" reason, it was for a job. I have been here since 1994, so I am not a noob to FL. I have just grown to really not like the heat. If it were not this hot, FL is a great place.
This past winter probably tempted you a little bit to stay, then May happened.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Yeah, me too. The only reason we came here was for my husband's job. I knew I didn't like heat and humidity decades ago. I thought I could ignore it. I can't. I couldn't take it in my 20s and it is worse now in my 60s.

I like Fall, and even WINTER. So, unlike Chris, I don't even like winters in Florida. I am just so tired of it being endless Summer. Unlike when I was young, single, and didn't own real estate here, it isn't easy to just pack up and move. I literally could do that back then, but I can't now. It's one reason why I always post, "Rent, rent, rent". I also miss my kids terribly. I am tired of flying back and forth, or driving a thousand miles to see them.

Chris, you are very fortunate. You are young and are not tied down by a house. You were very smart not to do that.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
This past winter probably tempted you a little bit to stay, then May happened.
Are you kidding me... No way, take look at old posts of mine from Jan-March, I loved every waking minute of the cold we had, it was the best winter I had down here since I got here. Down here in SWFL it was when April happened, it got hot like a switch was thrown.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
And that is exactly what I was doing. Posting my views. I think singling me out was pretty rude actually.
A topic thats titled "I hate Florida summers" is obviously about people venting about how they dont like the heat, Entering into the topic and telling every one that you can do cartwheels out in the sun all day long and the heat is no problem at all,with the what are all you people whining about attitude i would call insensitive bordering on rude.
Your post would have been more relevant in a topic called "why i love Florida summers.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
A topic thats titled "I hate Florida summers" is obviously about people venting about how they dont like the heat, Entering into the topic and telling every one that you can do cartwheels out in the sun all day long and the heat is no problem at all,with the what are all you people whining about attitude i would call insensitive bordering on rude.
Your post would have been more relevant in a topic called "why i love Florida summers.
Probably the best written, smartest, post on this thread hands down!!! Rep for you!! Excellent post. And perfectly said. 2 thumbs up.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:19 AM

Thanks

Old 08-07-2010, 08:19 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you go back to the first page and read some of the OP's insulting language, then you could see how this turned into such a heated debate, no pun intended. They referred to the "morons" at shopping malls in Florida (could be your family or mine they're talking about), and I perceived the overall tone of this thread to be confrontational. Had this thread been entitled, Please discuss why you do not like the summer weather in Florida, then maybe I would have felt differently. Plus, it's not exactly polite of you to tell other posters when and where their place is to disagree with a thread, opinion, or post. These are after all, discussion forums, and posting "I hate _anything__" would merit defense from those who disagree. If the OP did not want anybody posting why they LOVE Florida summers, then they should have invoked a ban on debate in the original post and requested that anybody responding to this thread, only give reasons why they hate Florida summers.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
If you go back to the first page and read some of the OP's insulting language, then you could see how this turned into such a heated debate, no pun intended. They referred to the "morons" at shopping malls in Florida (could be your family or mine they're talking about), and I perceived the overall tone of this thread to be confrontational. Had this thread been entitled, Please discuss why you do not like the summer weather in Florida, then maybe I would have felt differently. Plus, it's not exactly polite of you to tell other posters when and where their place is to disagree with a thread, opinion, or post. These are after all, discussion forums, and posting "I hate _anything__" would merit defense from those who disagree. If the OP did not want anybody posting why they LOVE Florida summers, then they should have invoked a ban on debate in the original post and requested that anybody responding to this thread, only give reasons why they hate Florida summers.
I doubt she's referring to us when she's describing morons at the mall,
the tone of the thread struck me as some one who is fed up with the relentless heat and as a result is somewhat irritable,knowing that you then post a thread saying the heat is no problem for you and what are you complaining about? is obviously just rubbing salt in the OP's wound so to speak,
you indeed have every right to post your opinion and any one else has their right to comment on your pompous reply.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:24 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
For the coming week, we'd be cooler if we could spend it in Dunedin FLA instead of Nebraska. Highs for each of the next 10 days are projected to be higher in Nebraska--up to 7 degrees higher. Humidity is also high here--and little chance of rain, so the vegetation is burning up.

Sunsets over the gulf, great seafood restaurants, picking up seashells--those are a few of the other things we could be enjoying in FLA along with cooler weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida