Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 02:27 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times

Advertisements

When I got my roof replaced we had a couple small ones.

When I first moved in 6 years ago I had a JUMBO sized one which I found dead by the sliding door the next day. Also, first moved in had a lot of ants too.

Again a new house I hear that happens. Sealed the crack up and since then no ant problem.

I do my own spraying now and the HOA sprays the lawns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 02:30 PM

984 posts, read 442,240 times
We will get one in the house occasionally. Like a few times per year. No big deal; they're just passing through, usually after it rains a lot. I mean, we smash it or sweep it out the door, but nobody freaks out or thinks there's an infestation. These aren't the small German cockroaches I'm talking about. They're the big "palmetto bugs," maybe an inch long and they fly.

We do spray around the perimeter of our home a couple times per year but occasionally one will get in. Nothing worth worrying about. Definitely a Florida thing.

If you are seeing the small ones, though, those are the type that infest a house and aren't a "Florida thing."

Old 08-03-2022, 09:37 PM

35 posts, read 43,691 times
That's Florida. I have had ants, Palmetto bugs( not regular roaches) lizards,frogs spiders, mosquitos, and twice, snakes, in my home. Live on the water with a big lanai. If you can't take wildlife you don't live in Florida. We have had a huge soft shell turtle and a pair of sand hill cranes look in our bedroom sliding doors,but not come in. Those turtles are really ugly. We have also had two otters playing down by the water where there are often gators. I couldn't keep watching because I was afraid of what I might witness. You become immune to it all after awhile. But, you do need a good bug guy.

Old 08-04-2022, 04:51 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
This was a very large nice home. They said looked very clean. Is it normal? He said it was due to the weather there. I wouldn’t think that was the case. They owners said they would have someone come out and spray but my friend just sprayed some raid and that seemed to work.
Not normal for my house. I never see any. Once in a while a big roach is in the garage.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:53 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
I live in a condo in Miami and I don't have roaches in my place. I did have them once and the condo sent someone in and sprayed. I think a new neighbor moved in and brought them with him, that was a few years ago and I have not seen one since.

I get an occasional silverfish in my bathroom.

It's Florida, you have to do pest control.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:39 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I live in a condo in Miami and I don't have roaches in my place. I did have them once and the condo sent someone in and sprayed. I think a new neighbor moved in and brought them with him, that was a few years ago and I have not seen one since.

I get an occasional silverfish in my bathroom.

It's Florida, you have to do pest control.
I get them silver fish as well trish.

Old 08-05-2022, 03:42 PM

66 posts, read 48,122 times
Free food...

https://preppingplanet.com/can-you-eat-cockroaches/

Old 08-05-2022, 04:04 PM

801 posts, read 452,433 times
Are they roaches or those big bugs that come up through the drain pipes / sink?
All I can say is I have lived in 2 places so far in FL and one had zero roaches and the other I saw ONE, one time - but like I say I don't think it was a roach per se, maybe in the roach family.
It came up through the drain and that has been the only one I've seen here in 6 months.
So, no, roaches are not inevitable.
I think here a guy does come around and spray outside every month.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:37 PM

7 posts, read 3,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
When I got my roof replaced we had a couple small ones.

When I first moved in 6 years ago I had a JUMBO sized one which I found dead by the sliding door the next day. Also, first moved in had a lot of ants too.

Again a new house I hear that happens. Sealed the crack up and since then no ant problem.

I do my own spraying now and the HOA sprays the lawns.
With doing your own spraying, what all does that entail? Do you do any spraying indoors or just outside?

Old 08-09-2022, 08:54 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
This was a very large nice home. They said looked very clean. Is it normal? He said it was due to the weather there. I wouldn’t think that was the case. They owners said they would have someone come out and spray but my friend just sprayed some raid and that seemed to work.
No, it's not normal and anyone who says it is doesn't clean their house. Its normal to have palmetto bugs, large roaches, outside that occasionally make it into your garage or lanai, but German roaches inside?? Hell, no..that's a sign of filth.

I've lived in Florida from 1976 to 2018..never had roaches. I now live in the Caribbean and same thing, palmetto bugs outside occasionally but never had roaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida