Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 02:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
yes....and they also focus on fatty fish...tuna, swordfish, etc....that are supposed to be the highest in mercury

and....at the same time...people are pushing that diet because it's supposed to be so healthy
Looking at a high mercury fish list, a couple of notes-

It’s not so much the percent of fat as the size of the fish. Large fish are typically older at time of harvest and have had more time to build up mercury in their systems.

Salmon, especially the farmed variety is actually generally low in mercury.

The ‘European diet’ is actually pretty low on tuna, which seems to only show up as a sushi option and on the occasional pizza there.

Who actually eats shark (the meat not the fin) and marlin, which seems to be mostly a sport fish.

Spanish mackerel has about a tenth the mercury levels as king mackerel. I’m guessing it’s Spanish that’s common along the Med rather than king.

Swordfish has some very high mercury levels but doesn’t seem to be particularly commonly eaten by anyone.

Tilefish is very high in mercury, but is mostly GoMex/western Atlantic. I see it on restaurant menus around here from time to time as local catch but there doesn’t seem to be a huge commercial demand for it.

The fish we saw on restaurant menus in Europe tends to be along the lines of halibut, cod, trout and perch, which are lower mercury level fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 02:19 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
You'd need CONSISTENT hard freezes to eradicate them, which South Florida hasn't seen since perhaps the Ice Age. The lowest ever recorded temperature in Miami was 28 degrees, and it only happened twice. And of course, didn't last long at all. That would not kill a large snake, let alone eliminate an entire species.
Miami in not the glades jade. You keep showing your lack of knowing about weather heather. Case in point trying to tell me how much rain i get when ya got no clue where i live. Let alone the glades and the temps they have had with all the real winters we had in the 80's with lows of 19f to 24f in Tampa year after year dear. Miami is much more warmer than the glades slade.

Old 08-07-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Looking at a high mercury fish list, a couple of notes-

It’s not so much the percent of fat as the size of the fish. Large fish are typically older at time of harvest and have had more time to build up mercury in their systems.

Salmon, especially the farmed variety is actually generally low in mercury.

The ‘European diet’ is actually pretty low on tuna, which seems to only show up as a sushi option and on the occasional pizza there.

Who actually eats shark (the meat not the fin) and marlin, which seems to be mostly a sport fish.

Spanish mackerel has about a tenth the mercury levels as king mackerel. I’m guessing it’s Spanish that’s common along the Med rather than king.

Swordfish has some very high mercury levels but doesn’t seem to be particularly commonly eaten by anyone.

Tilefish is very high in mercury, but is mostly GoMex/western Atlantic. I see it on restaurant menus around here from time to time as local catch but there doesn’t seem to be a huge commercial demand for it.

The fish we saw on restaurant menus in Europe tends to be along the lines of halibut, cod, trout and perch, which are lower mercury level fish.
Who would want nasty tasting tuna or swordfish. Pink porgies i get 80 miles offshore are the best eating fish on the planet janet. I throw away any tuna i get by mistake jake or give them away. Spanish macks are even more nasty jack unless smoked.

Old 08-07-2022, 02:33 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Miami in not the glades jade. You keep showing your lack of knowing about weather heather. Case in point trying to tell me how much rain i get when ya got no clue where i live. Let alone the glades and the temps they have had with all the real winters we had in the 80's with lows of 19f to 24f in Tampa year after year dear. Miami is much more warmer than the glades slade.
I used Miami as an example, as it's the closest major city to the Everglades.
Miami is not "much more warmer" than the Everglades. Their winter averages are roughly the same.

As a matter-of-fact, during the winter months, while the low is slightly lower in the Everglades than in Miami, the highs are higher, thus averaging out at the same. A freeze lasts a few hours at most, before temperatures go up into the 50s. This might last a a day or two. Most times, one day. Definitely not enough to eradicate a snake species.

Lowest ever recorded temperature, 24 degrees. A whooping 4 degrees colder than Miami during a hard freeze. During that same day, the high in the Everglades was higher than in Miami.

You said you live in Pasco County, MULTIPLE times. Not a single place in Pasco County is as dry as you claim it to be. Stop with that nonsense. There are radar readings to disprove your claims. Unless you live in the only deep valley in the entire state.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 08-07-2022 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-07-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I used Miami as an example, as it's the closest major city to the Everglades.
Miami is not "much more warmer" than the Everglades. Their winter averages are roughly the same.

As a matter-of-fact, during the winter months, while the low is slightly lower in the Everglades than in Miami, the highs are higher, thus averaging out at the same. A freeze lasts a few hours at most, before temperatures go up into the 50s. This might last a a day or two. Most times, one day. Definitely not enough to eradicate a snake species.

Lowest ever recorded temperature, 24 degrees. A whooping 4 degrees colder than Miami during a hard freeze. During that same day, the high in the Everglades was higher than in Miami.

You said you live in Pasco County, MULTIPLE times. Not a single place in Pasco County is as dry as you claim it to be. Stop with that nonsense. There are radar readings to disprove your claims. Unless you live in the only deep valley in the entire state.
PROVE ME WRONG BRA. Not even 6.5" total since June 21st. Lets see ya prove it. I don't care about highs sly in Miami vs the glades since they got water to the east that keeps temps down like a clown. Plus we have not had a real winter since 2010 that is why we have a snake prob and they are creeping more north as they move forth.

List all cities with rainfall amounts on the gulf in Pasco since June 21st. You can have a million peeps hunting snakes and it won't even put a dent in them as they are here to stay and will move as far north as Tampa within 12 years as the planet super heats.

Last edited by LKJ1988; 08-07-2022 at 03:16 PM..

Old 08-07-2022, 03:48 PM

14,954 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The problem is that early testing of python meat often showed high enough mercury levels that were not ideal for human consumption. Current samples are more mixed with pythons from some regions still showing higher mercury levels than generally acceptable and the research continues to see if pythons from other regions who generally have lower mercury levels would be safe

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/...KRIXKYPQAKVHU/

There was a push for a while to encourage high end Miami fashion designers to use python skin trapped in Florida for many of their pieces but I’m also not sure of the status of that initiative.
Rednecks don't care... as long as we can BBQ it and it goes good with beer. You think people out killing snakes in air boats are thinking... "dang, I wonder how much mercury that thing has in it?

Old 08-07-2022, 06:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Rednecks don't care... as long as we can BBQ it and it goes good with beer. You think people out killing snakes in air boats are thinking... "dang, I wonder how much mercury that thing has in it?
I think it’s mostly ‘this is fun, and I know this guy at the swap meet who will pay me good beer money for the skin because he can make a really cool belt out of it’

Old 08-07-2022, 06:29 PM

For the Miami crowd... this receipe might work https://junglejims.com/recipe/sautee...%20and%20serve.

I know those who smoke it... very muscular animal so the meat will be tough. $119.00 a pound . https://www.exoticmeatmarkets.com/Bu...onmeat1601.htm

Old 08-07-2022, 06:42 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Who would want nasty tasting tuna or swordfish. Pink porgies i get 80 miles offshore are the best eating fish on the planet janet. I throw away any tuna i get by mistake jake or give them away. Spanish macks are even more nasty jack unless smoked.
With the average mpg of most boats you are better off just buying fish. You like spending money on gas?

Old 08-07-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
With the average mpg of most boats you are better off just buying fish. You like spending money on gas?
Most 'serous' fisherman will still go. But you're right about the cost of gas vs buying fish for the average rec fisherman. I can sell all the Mahi, Cobia, Grouper I can catch, but I don't. Being out on the water is priceless. I'm 10 miles from the gulfstream from my inlet.

You know that poster is full of crap.

In federal waters: Anglers targeting billfish, swordfish, shark, bluefin tuna, bigeye tuna, albacore tuna, yellowfin tuna and skipjack tuna are required to have a federal HMS Angling Permit.

However you can catch and keep blackfin tuna without the fed stamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida