Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 12:51 PM

17,160 posts, read 15,373,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I don't expect the military to be any different. I DO expect teachers to be different. A teacher whose only education is a GED, is not someone I'd want educating children in the public school system. Maybe you'd be willing to pay extra for a teacher who only has a GED in a fancy private school, but I doubt private schools set their bar that low.
I wouldn't want someone with ONLY a GED, OR ONLY a HS Diploma, to teach my kids. The GED vs HS Diploma, again, is equal in the eyes of most. I would absolutely, however, prefer to have someone with a GED and military experience teach my kids over someone who holds only a HS Diploma, with no military experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 01:30 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
Veterans going into Teaching is not new. Veterans have excelled in the Education field since the ending of WWII with many using the G.I. Bill.
I can think of a good number of teachers I had growing up who used the GI bill to get them a proper bachelors degree plus a teaching credential followed by a student teaching semester before they were fully turned loose on a school.

Most of them were good teachers; but thee was also the one who clearly had Vietnam PTSD issues and then another one who got all pervy with the teenage cheerleaders who were allowed to wear their cheer uniforms to class on football Fridays.

A veteran is not inherently a hero or a bum; that population is a wide variety of inferential types of people despite some common experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son, who just retired from the Army, got a job offer from a school in Florida to be a Shop teacher. When they found out his wife was an architect, they wanted her too. They decided against it.
I think there is merit to the idea, though. Most students would benefit from the strong male influences that former soldiers would bring, and many soldiers coming out of the military need a few years to decide what their next career might be. I’m not saying any random guy can teach higher math, or science, but most of us could teach the basics if the desire was there.
Um, my female veteran friends would probably be fired on the spot for showing a ‘strong male influence’ in a Florida public school classroom. Because that would like scare the homophobes or something .

Old 08-23-2022, 09:23 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I can think of a good number of teachers I had growing up who used the GI bill to get them a proper bachelors degree plus a teaching credential followed by a student teaching semester before they were fully turned loose on a school.

Most of them were good teachers; but thee was also the one who clearly had Vietnam PTSD issues and then another one who got all pervy with the teenage cheerleaders who were allowed to wear their cheer uniforms to class on football Fridays.

A veteran is not inherently a hero or a bum; that population is a wide variety of inferential types of people despite some common experience.

Um, my female veteran friends would probably be fired on the spot for showing a ‘strong male influence’ in a Florida public school classroom. Because that would like scare the homophobes or something .
I think there is a difference in one using the GI Bill to get their degree, versus one going into teaching just because it's an easy job to get right now due to the shortages. The pension, insurance, and time off is very enticing for some.

I remember having a teacher in high school who replaced our Social Studies teacher because she was pregnant and went on maternity leave. Lean, trim and tough. former Army. He eventually got sacked because too many students complained about him being too mean. Guy would get up in your face and yell like he was a drill instructor.

But looking back as I'm older now I don't see it as a bad thing. The teens at my high school were the worst in Collier County. Someone like that is needed at times to administer discipline.

In Middle School we had a big black dude for one of my classes. Former corrections officer and the class had a lot of misfits, ADDers in the class. Soft spoken, but would tell stories about prison and the terrible stuff that goes on there warning us you never want to end up there.

I do think there can be a use for former military, especially how these students act up these days. Little Miss Mary Jane who's 27 years of age and a ******* coddling these brats doesn't get it done.

You need a couple Sgt. Buzzcuts teaching some subjects. I'll be turning 39 soon, but when I was in High School is when I saw things were starting to change. Even my last year in high school 2001-2002 wasn't nearly as woke as it is now. I'd say around 2000 I started seeing more liberal influences starting.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:19 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,228,548 times
Monday - August 29, 2022 12:04pm

Florida lawmaker, teacher address criticism of program to fast-track veterans into the classroom | Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-l...rans-classroom

Old 08-29-2022, 03:09 PM

I know a teacher who is mentoring one of the veterans with emergency credentials. She thinks he’s a smart guy who means well but is also concerned that he doesn’t know what he’s really signed up for.

She also runs 2-3 student clubs, loses her prep period 3-4 times a week because the district has problems getting subs and someone has to cover classes when a teacher is out, and works a second job to help cover her own expenses so the mentoring time is competing with a lot of other things in her life.

And she’s retiring at the end of the year so the district may or may not be able to find a mentor for the emergency credentials teacher, provided he’s back around for 2023-24.

They get four days of training before getting thrown into a classroom. Which is barely enough time to learn what an IEP for a student is, much less how they’re supposed to implement it in their classroom. (And for which the state and local districts are probably going to have to spend a lot of money on even more legal fees for teachers who don’t understand federal law on disability accommodations.)

Old 08-29-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I know a teacher who is mentoring one of the veterans with emergency credentials. She thinks he’s a smart guy who means well but is also concerned that he doesn’t know what he’s really signed up for.

She also runs 2-3 student clubs, loses her prep period 3-4 times a week because the district has problems getting subs and someone has to cover classes when a teacher is out, and works a second job to help cover her own expenses so the mentoring time is competing with a lot of other things in her life.

And she’s retiring at the end of the year so the district may or may not be able to find a mentor for the emergency credentials teacher, provided he’s back around for 2023-24.

They get four days of training before getting thrown into a classroom. Which is barely enough time to learn what an IEP for a student is, much less how they’re supposed to implement it in their classroom. (And for which the state and local districts are probably going to have to spend a lot of money on even more legal fees for teachers who don’t understand federal law on disability accommodations.)
We are losing alot of our teachers to retirement. But they deserve it!!!

Old 08-29-2022, 05:44 PM

417 posts, read 267,578 times
Two things that are overlooked in this discussion.

#1. Veterans. A very identical Federal program was established back in 1993 (not sure if still active) called "Troops to Teachers" was a bipartsian effort and I beleive was signed into law by President Bill Clinton. That program actually supplemented the Teacher pay for the school districts.
I view the current Florida program in the same manner, just trying to attract the same viable applicant pool.

#2. WHY? Teacher shortage is a nationwide problem spanning over many Presidential Adminstrations of both parties.
Basically, young people are not enrolling in the Colleges of Education. "Between the 2007-08 and 2015-16 academic years, there was a 23 percent decline"

They do not want to become Teachers. This is not a new problem.
How to attract people into the profession, regardless if a young college student or an older professional transitioning into Educattion, that is where the solution must be focused.
So is it the stigma or the money.
Almost half of college graduates who become teachers leave the profession within a few years. Why?
And of course wage return must be factored in considering the ever rising cost of college tuition.
Is raising teacher wages the only option here? Can the colleges assist (and I do not mean more government funding/tax. I mean the colleges actually fund some of it)?

IMO, until the "why" above is figured out, there will be no solution.

https://www.edweek.org/teaching-lear...change/2018/08

Old 08-29-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
Two things that are overlooked in this discussion.

#1. Veterans. A very identical Federal program was established back in 1993 (not sure if still active) called "Troops to Teachers" was a bipartsian effort and I beleive was signed into law by President Bill Clinton. That program actually supplemented the Teacher pay for the school districts.
I view the current Florida program in the same manner, just trying to attract the same viable applicant pool.

#2. WHY? Teacher shortage is a nationwide problem spanning over many Presidential Adminstrations of both parties.
Basically, young people are not enrolling in the Colleges of Education. "Between the 2007-08 and 2015-16 academic years, there was a 23 percent decline"

They do not want to become Teachers. This is not a new problem.
How to attract people into the profession, regardless if a young college student or an older professional transitioning into Educattion, that is where the solution must be focused.
So is it the stigma or the money.
Almost half of college graduates who become teachers leave the profession within a few years. Why?
And of course wage return must be factored in considering the ever rising cost of college tuition.
Is raising teacher wages the only option here? Can the colleges assist (and I do not mean more government funding/tax. I mean the colleges actually fund some of it)?

IMO, until the "why" above is figured out, there will be no solution.

https://www.edweek.org/teaching-lear...change/2018/08

Money Talks!!! Too many other careers pay better, awesome benefits, bonuses, on-site gyms and daycare and more. Now which way would I go?

Old 08-31-2022, 07:23 AM

AFAIK, the previous veterans program required a bachelor’s degree

Meanwhile on the front lines-

https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/loc...Y-TxWn4D93UrCo

Quote:
Bay District Schools have been struggling to keep teachers in the classrooms. More than 2-dozen have quit since the school year began 3-weeks ago.
Quote:
“They are not in the classrooms and they are not coming to us and asking us what our students need,” Hinson said. “If they would just stop and think in Tallahassee when they are making all these laws that affect us, I mean there are 20 laws in the state of Florida, just on teachers’ salaries.”
Quote:
Bay District Schools Superintendent Bill Husfelt also acknowledged the overtime and dedication that Bay District teachers are putting into the schools because of this shortage.

Hilson said she wishes the state would listen to the teachers who are in the classrooms every day before making decisions without all the appropriate information.
The DoD is actually very good at supporting its troops and creating a positive environment where there are many opportunities for success. It can actually be a somewhat sheltered work environment in some ways- if you’re willing to work hard, there can be an amazing support structure available.

The K-12 work space in Florida can be a far crueler place even by civilian standards. It will be interesting to see retention numbers after the first year of the program and how it compares to teachers from other types of credentialing programs.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:36 AM

Hmmm, I wonder IF any military will be interested. Will be interesting to hear the feedback on down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida