Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 03:56 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Down here a roof for a typical house will run about 20k.

Why so expensive? Are they asphalt roofs, or are metal roofs now required?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2022, 08:02 AM

635 posts, read 407,011 times
Kidnapping/transporting people across state lines under false pretenses using Florida taxpayer money to score political points with far right voters, at war with Disney because they dared to stand up to him, signing boogeyman “don’t say gay” bills, and suppressing true american history (CRT) to preserve the fragility of his bases’ feelings and their offspring.

And the best part about this is, he will only be a 2 year Governor if re-elected…he’s eyeing the white house people. Say what you want about Christ, but he practically exposed Desantis’ intention on the debate stage so it’s not conjecture anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
What is this current Governor doing about this problem. Anything?

Old 10-29-2022, 09:41 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Kidnapping/transporting people across state lines under false pretenses using Florida taxpayer money to score political points with far right voters, at war with Disney because they dared to stand up to him, signing boogeyman “don’t say gay” bills, and suppressing true american history (CRT) to preserve the fragility of his bases’ feelings and their offspring.

And the best part about this is, he will only be a 2 year Governor if re-elected…he’s eyeing the white house people. Say what you want about Christ, but he practically exposed Desantis’ intention on the debate stage so it’s not conjecture anymore.
Yes I know I watched the Debate. I wasn't surprised at all by the No Response from DeSantis, when Crist asked him about being a 2 year Governor eyeing the white house. DeSantis didn't get my vote nor will he, if he does run for President. I am however aware that he has a massive following, in both Florida and nationwide. See what happens I guess.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Jimrob1, I have Nationwide too. We come up for renewal in November. I‘be bern happy with the rates (and so far, haven’t needed services) and I’m anxious as to what they’ll say about our roof, which was replaced by the prior owner in 2010.
I'll let you know what Nationwide does with my renewal. It's not coming up until Jan. We both have a similar situation with the roof, mine was replaced in 2008 by the previous owner. After I moved in here the neighbors told me that several roofs on my street, were replaced in 2008 because of Tornado damage. Mine being one of them.

Old 10-29-2022, 06:38 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,198,364 times
Hi Jimrob1. I received my renewal from Nationwide yesterday. No mention of our roof. The new premium will be $2100 a year. Premium last year was $1500.

Big increase percentage-wise, but I’m happy we have been renewed.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Hi Jimrob1. I received my renewal from Nationwide yesterday. No mention of our roof. The new premium will be $2100 a year. Premium last year was $1500.

I'm glad you were renewed but I'm very sorry your having to deal with a $600 increase. That to me is outrageous and unfair to you for being way up in Gainesville. I doubt you have a huge house either, that would warrant that high of an Insurance bill. Obviously next year that $2100 policy will be increased again. Then the threat of the Insurance company, forcing a roof replacement on top of another increase.

I've already decided if I'm faced with increases like that in January, that I will be leaving Florida. This house will be put up for sale towards the end of winter. With the insurance going up and up in ridiculous amounts, and the lack of concern by the State. I will be priced out of state as I get older now, and I can't allow that to happen. So its better to face the reality of it. I can only imagine there are other seniors that are on the fixed income side of things, that are also planning on leaving. Before I was up and down with that decision, but I'm not anymore. I've become more comfortable with the decision to leave Florida for a number of reasons, not just the Insurance problems here. Some times you just have to do what you have to do.

Again I'm glad you at least don't have to face the struggle, of finding a new insurance company or replacing your roof. At least for another year anyways.

Old 10-30-2022, 10:02 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times
Quote:

Pretty cheap, imo. I pay $3300 +$300 flood rider.

Problem (ex. fraud) is actuarial risk-vs-claims which are market (costs+profit) dependent.
If the former keeps rising so will the latter which drive your premiums.
So barring government subsidies, i.e. free money, you'll either pay up, self-insure, or move.
All will exert downward pressure on real estate values.
What's your pleasure?

Old 11-03-2022, 03:07 AM

Default Property insurance cancellations

This story discusses property insurance cancellation rules in Florida.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...icane-ian-hit/

Old 11-03-2022, 03:20 AM

Default Citizens is undercapitalized; anticipates 20-30 percent premium hikes state-wide in 2023

Premium increases to homeowners by Citizens Property Insurance Corp., Florida's insurer of last resort, apparently are capped at 12 percent annually (by law, or policy?). Of course, this suggests Citizens will remain undercapitalized and very vulnerable to a major hurricane landfall next hurricane season. If Citizens is unable to pay claims, it will assess all home insurance policy holders in Florida to raise needed funds. Apparently, no assessment is needed in 2022.

It's unclear what will happen if private insurers increase premiums by 20-30 percent in 2023, but Citizens' premiums increase by only 12 percent. Will demand for Citizens' policies escalate so much as to become unavailable due to limited underwriting capacity at Citizens, especially in the wake of Hurricane Ian losses?

<<Citizens CEO Barry Gilway told 8 On Your Side Investigator Mahsa Saeidi it’s likely some premiums will spike by 20 to 30% next year, statewide....

“We had questions early on, even as the storm was hitting, about the Citizens Property Insurance, which I think most of you know is unfortunately undercapitalized,” said Gov. DeSantis.

“The governor’s statement is absolutely correct,” said Mr. Gilway. “We’re undercapitalized, I mean, there’s no question about it. The Personal Lines Account, this storm will eliminate all the surplus that we have.”>>

https://www.wfla.com/8-on-your-side/...zens-ceo-says/

Gilway said 20-30 percent annual premium hikes by private insurers may be the norm unless the state reforms its home insurance system.

Driving the premium hikes is the soaring cost of "reinsurance," policies purchased by a primary insurer from a reinsurance company to fund losses above a threshold amount, Gilway said. The article provided no granularity about the availability and cost of reinsurance in Florida in the wake of Hurricane Ian.

Last edited by WRnative; 11-03-2022 at 04:34 AM..

Old 11-03-2022, 03:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
After Katrina, my insurance went up by a factor of 5 in three years.
I had to look up what an increase 'by a factor of 5' meant ....cuz I could not believe it!
I was correct: you are saying 5 times as much.
I am so sorry...whoa!
I could never go back to FL to live even in a modest home, I see.
I loved my many years in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida