Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 04:10 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,227,719 times

Advertisements

As a child Disney was awesome but they lost me many years ago when they layed off employees right before they were set to retire. I feel Walt's Dream has been lost and it is do sad! A wonderful man who was an inspiration to many and cared about the community and his employees.

August 22, 2022

"I'm done," "Enough is Enough," Fans Discuss Ending Loyalty to Disney - Inside the Magic

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/08/e...ob-chapek-jc1/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 08:20 AM

4,614 posts, read 7,532,666 times
Prices going up at Disney are cause for concern but not the fact that Disney's merchandise has been manufactured in China under terrible conditions and pay for years?

From a 2016 article:
The manufacturing process of Disney toys in China, is a process of oppressing Chinese workers. At the Zhen Yang Toy factory in Dongguan, Guangdong province, where Frozen products are manufactured, many thousands of workers labor every day for 12 hours. Some work non-stop for periods of 11 hours, with only a one hour meal and rest break in between. 16 workers share a 16 square meter dormitory room. Each floor of the dormitory building has 20 rooms. 320 workers share 24 toilets and 24 bathrooms. The bathrooms have no hot water, only cold water. There are no showerheads, and workers have to use a bucket or pan to take a bath. Workers earn 8.68RMB/hour ($1.32USD/hour), and working a total of 172 hours, this amounts to 1510RMB ($230USD). Workers are forced to work overtime every day. During the off season, workers hope to have more opportunities to work overtime. Without overtime, the base wage is insufficient to cover workers costs of living.

From a 2011 article:
Disney's best-selling Cars toys are being made in a factory in China that uses child labour and forces staff to do three times the amount of overtime allowed by law, according to an investigation.
The undercover reporter found evidence of child labor, excessively long work days, poor pay, environmental hazards & poor treatment by management.

From a 2005 article:
NEW YORK (CNN) - The National Labor Committee, an anti-sweatshop advocacy group that once exposed labor abuses in apparel produced for Kathie Lee Gifford's clothing line, made new charges Thursday against The Walt Disney Company, releasing a videotape alleging that two Chinese factories making books for Disney operate under unsafe conditions.

Disney always claims they were not aware of the issues and will take measures to resolve them. Yeah, right.

People have to make their own choices on whether they are willing to support a company that allows their merchandise to be produced under sweatshop conditions for DECADES, but our family said no a long time ago.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:01 AM

5,137 posts, read 6,129,481 times
It’s hard for me to jump on the done with Disney bandwagon I think because of my age. My parents first took me to Disneyland in 1965, then later when when Disney world opened in Orlando. I went with friends sporadically in the 1980’s and then in 1989 we stayed at a resort in Disneyworld for the first time and I remember the rooms at the Polynesian Village being $54 a night.

We usually went mid-week off season and could walk up to many rides.

Fast forward to 2009 and we purchased Florida residents season passes, we even went to a very merry Mickey Christmas and those tickets were $65. With the magic bands and fast passes I think at that time Disney was affordable for the average family.

During all these years I never really thought of Disney as being unaffordable and we felt the price increases were consistent with the economy. Now although we have not been since 2012 I feel the prices are getting unrealistic for both park entry and in park accommodations. They seemed to have jumped higher than what I used to think were relatively acceptable prices increases we witnessed in the past.

Unless your family in is great physical shape and can move around the park quickly it seems almost impossible to see an entire park in a day what with the lines and the crowds now.

As mentioned it’s hard for me to judge the price increases as we have been enjoying Disney over the many years but I also feel that it is now both not realistic or affordable to spend our entire vacation budget for a week at Disney and yet I keep seeing price increases in the news for entry, rooms and food and yet the attendance is not suffering!

Old 08-30-2022, 09:18 AM

18,431 posts, read 8,264,501 times
Disney is making RECORD profits from fewer visitors: Magic Kingdom has introduced new charges and ramped up costs with visitors forced to spend 17% more last year as price of hotels, passes and even Mickey ears rocket

"Recent price hikes at Disney's theme parks have seen the company's profits surge despite a slump in visitors - leading many to accuse the parks of ripping off loyal customers in order to bolster their bottom line."

"Since reopening in April of last year, the company has made a host of changes to its preeminent parks in Florida and California, nixing free perks and ramping up prices, causing the cost of a visit to a Disney resort to rise dramatically."

"Visitor numbers at the park have plunged by 17 per cent - but the profit Disney makes on each guest has increased by 17 per cent in a year, helping turbocharge the firm's profits."

"Disney made a whopping $7.4 billion from its parks for the most recent quarter of the 2022 financial year"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...2-billion.html

Old 08-30-2022, 09:57 AM

5,137 posts, read 6,129,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Disney is making RECORD profits from fewer visitors: Magic Kingdom has introduced new charges and ramped up costs with visitors forced to spend 17% more last year as price of hotels, passes and even Mickey ears rocket

"Recent price hikes at Disney's theme parks have seen the company's profits surge despite a slump in visitors - leading many to accuse the parks of ripping off loyal customers in order to bolster their bottom line."

"Since reopening in April of last year, the company has made a host of changes to its preeminent parks in Florida and California, nixing free perks and ramping up prices, causing the cost of a visit to a Disney resort to rise dramatically."

"Visitor numbers at the park have plunged by 17 per cent - but the profit Disney makes on each guest has increased by 17 per cent in a year, helping turbocharge the firm's profits."

"Disney made a whopping $7.4 billion from its parks for the most recent quarter of the 2022 financial year"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...2-billion.html
I think unfortunately Disney no longer needs its core support of revenue to come from the loyalty of returning Disney fans. I do know that Disney in Orlando sees a tremendous amount of Europeans and Brazilians visiting its parks now and Orlando is now known as an international family destination vacation spot.

With that scenario in place Disney no longer needs to cater to those with season passes or those who loved to frequent the parks. I really don’t know how the average middle income family can afford a week long stay in Disney anymore.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:42 AM

Sad some of the "hard-working" employees are not getting a decent wage.

Nope, they will not be seeing me!!!

Old 08-30-2022, 10:54 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
I lost my squeaky clean image of Disney's dream the year Disneyworld opened and we visited on Spring Break.

During a photo-op Dopey goosed me in the butt. First clue not all those hard-working employees were working so hard at what they were being paid for.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I lost my squeaky clean image of Disney's dream the year Disneyworld opened and we visited on Spring Break.

During a photo-op Dopey goosed me in the butt. First clue not all those hard-working employees were working so hard at what they were being paid for.
That is why my post said "some" hard-working employees.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:35 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRetired View Post
That is why my post said "some" hard-working employees.
Got it.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:29 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Lines at Disney World have never been longer. I don't mix politics and business. If I buy a product or service, I only care about the product or service. I don't demand to speak with the owner and ask them their views on various political issues and then use that information to decide whether or not I will continue buying their product or services. I HATE cancel culture. I don't want the "right" to start doing it as well. It's utterly stupid in my opinion for 99% of situations. The only exceptions for me personally would be like something like boycotting Russian products because they are attempting genocide in a Democratic country. However, if the owner of my favorite restaurant says on social media he thinks Caitlyn Jenner is the bravest woman on Earth, I really wouldn't give a s*** lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida