Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 06:14 AM

30,424 posts, read 21,228,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I had to give up my flip phone 2 years ago because it no longer worked with the new cell towers

We have 1 tv inside our home, & its in a front office room that has doors that can seal off the noise. I have no idea the size, make, or model...don't care. I've watched it <10x in 5 yrs...all sports on free tv w/ attic antenna.

I was once a poor no-skill service-sector worker in FLA, so I got used to scrimping. Bought clothes at Goodwill...got haircuts at the beauty school for $5.

Those frugal habits never left me. My car is a base model...not 1 option. I had to go to the parts dept to buy mats for it, & negotiated 1/2 off for them. I negotiate for everything I buy >$100.
You can buy new flips that work chip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 06:20 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,547,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
OLED replaced Plasma in 2014. Every year since 1989 i had to buy the latest and greatest display. OLED is much better than LED. The best plasma sets were the pioneer elite kuro. I have a Sony 65" A1E for the bedroom since 2017. I slowed way down on buying since the tech as slowed way down. Back in the 90's and mid 2000's the tech was funner as it changed much faster. I miss my S- VHS- VCR's that wore out. I miss buying new VCR's. It was so fun when ED Beta came out in the early 90's as it was the best tape format and it cost 2k for the VCR in 1992. I have had it all over the years.
We still have the Panasonic plasma Elite, circa 2006, lol. Everyone said they would burn in, but ours still looks perfect after all these years. One of the best things about it is the sound system that includes two side speakers.

We will probably get a new one within the next couple of years, at which point we will likely go with OLED. Our tv is mounted above the fireplace, so the viewing angle specs are important. With the old plasmas, this wasn’t an issue.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:49 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Quote:
Wow, I thought I was a trailblazer. Do you ever watch broadcast tv, when someplace else? The longer you don't have tv or cable, the harder it is to watch. Even the commercials infuriate me....I mute them, & look away, & down towards my laptop screen. Its one huge brainwashing tool....even sports commentary...there's no escaping it. Every time I see it, it confirms my decision to ditch it.

I can't do the cell phone thing either...staring at it, thumbing out a text...looking at a tiny screen...no thx. My cell phone bills $11/month. I just use it to talk, & do ~2 short texts/wk...usually "yes" "no" "okay". I use the mapping app ~1x/wk.

Low income folks could save a lot by ditching cable & cell phone mania. I also think insurance, over the legal required amounts, is dumb for low wage earners. I wish I had a do-over on that.

Low wage earners need to also shop at Aldi....buy as much as possible there. Get the rest at WalMart, or Dollar General.

I'd love to hear how the young people making <$50k/yr here in Florda are getting by; w/o racking up credit card debt.
Similarly to how old people making <$50k/yr here in Florida are getting by without racking up credit card debt.

I just did a realtor.com search for homes under $120k in Gainesville and found 74 including condos, townhouses, and land lots. I refined the search to single family homes and found 13 of them. One in particular was renovated and repainted, with a shed in the back and a fenced-in yard, for just $94k.

Assuming you put 20% down (almost $19k), your 30 year at 3.5% interest payment would be under $400/month. Add taxes and utilities and you're looking at around $1000/month in expenses. If you're making $50k per year, you can afford that and have plenty to sock away for an upgrade in 5 years. If you don't have $19k to spend, then you're not ready to buy a house at all. You have to have put money away first. Young folks just graduating college shouldn't be expected to own their own house yet.

Old 12-24-2022, 07:05 AM

30,424 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
We still have the Panasonic plasma Elite, circa 2006, lol. Everyone said they would burn in, but ours still looks perfect after all these years. One of the best things about it is the sound system that includes two side speakers.

We will probably get a new one within the next couple of years, at which point we will likely go with OLED. Our tv is mounted above the fireplace, so the viewing angle specs are important. With the old plasmas, this wasn’t an issue.
Never knew Panny made any in 2006. You must mean Pioneer.

Old 12-24-2022, 08:21 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Similarly to how old people making <$50k/yr here in Florida are getting by without racking up credit card debt.

I just did a realtor.com search for homes under $120k in Gainesville and found 74 including condos, townhouses, and land lots. I refined the search to single family homes and found 13 of them. One in particular was renovated and repainted, with a shed in the back and a fenced-in yard, for just $94k.
I just did a similar search for Fort Walton Beach, which has typically been the affordable part of southern Okaloosa County and for the sub-$200K options you get one condo in one of those places where there are gang shootings in the parking lot and then about 8-10 condos in iffy 1970s/80s buildings where your several hundred dollars a month in HOA fees on top of your mortgage payment are probably not enough to capitalize the condo complex’s reserve fund so you need to budget for a huge special assessment for repairs not covered by insurance when the next moderate to big hurricane hits.

But then the local real estate market here is heavily distorted because of the federal government. (Department of Defense stuff)

Old 12-24-2022, 11:38 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,547,458 times
[quote=LKJ1988;64638811]Never knew Panny made any in 2006. You must mean Pioneer.[/QUOTE

Onyx, not elite:

Panasonic Onyx TH-42XVS30 42-Inch HD Plasma TV

Old 12-24-2022, 12:01 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,337,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I just did a similar search for Fort Walton Beach, which has typically been the affordable part of southern Okaloosa County and for the sub-$200K options you get one condo in one of those places where there are gang shootings in the parking lot and then about 8-10 condos in iffy 1970s/80s buildings where your several hundred dollars a month in HOA fees on top of your mortgage payment are probably not enough to capitalize the condo complex’s reserve fund so you need to budget for a huge special assessment for repairs not covered by insurance when the next moderate to big hurricane hits.

But then the local real estate market here is heavily distorted because of the federal government. (Department of Defense stuff)
The defense industry is where the $$$ is at. Very lucrative jobs. If you're retired colonel or something you then get a job in the defense industry and make $$$ in addition to your military pension on top of that!

Old 12-24-2022, 12:05 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,065 times
Quote:
What is OLED? Last time I looked at TV's there was Plasma, & something else that was cheaper, so I went with cheaper.

Most of my friends/neighbors have giant TV's in most rooms, & the lanai...like 6 TV's. Some use them like radio's....noise all day...every day...ugh. I prefer silence.

These low-skilled low-paid Floridians need to learn how to hang tvs on walls....lots of demand for that.

I'd call my biz...."Hang 'em High" TV installation

Also start businesses to teach old people how to use technology...I'd call that one "Old Dogs...New Tricks Tech Training"
Not much to learn with one of these. Just be able to hammer some tiny nails.

https://hangmanproducts.com/products/no-stud-tv-hanger

Old 12-24-2022, 12:16 PM

25,716 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
You can buy new flips that work chip.
I bought that old ATT flip for $39.99, I wonder how much they cost now?

Old 12-24-2022, 12:20 PM

25,716 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Not much to learn with one of these. Just be able to hammer some tiny nails.

https://hangmanproducts.com/products/no-stud-tv-hanger
Mine pulls away from the wall so it can swivel to change angles. I had the guy who installed the free tv antenna in the attic. Dude was old, but somehow got it done himself...that was 5 yrs ago. I saw him last week, & he says he's closing his biz because he can't hang tv's anymore and he can't find anyone who wants to learn how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida