Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 07:27 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,228,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

If you are making more where you are at, please stay
Yes, I was one of these people. Left a decent job to move to Sunny Florida. Lol, was freezing my a.s off and at age 20 jumped in my Honda Civic (my 1st car, hatchback) and drove. Now I look back at age 64, I was crazy!!! But hey, young and dreaming.

GREAT ADVICE!!!

Angela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 09:01 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,136,915 times
I don't disagree, but lets not pretend wage disparities are limited to the very bottom of the academic achievement ladder, or even a function of the same. The Bachelor's became the new HS Diploma in the aftermath of the 2007/08 recession, and the Master's became the new Bachelor's beginning in the mid-2010's with the exception of select fields of study. Save for mostly STEM-oriented professions, the aforementioned occurrence was abject nonsense that only served to make higher ed — and its reliance upon taxpayer-funded subsidization coupled with diminishing ROI — all the more problematic. This is an issue that's far more complicated than average, and even comparatively well-educated folks, either understand and/or are willing to admit.

Old 10-02-2022, 12:54 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I don't disagree, but lets not pretend wage disparities are limited to the very bottom of the academic achievement ladder, or even a function of the same. The Bachelor's became the new HS Diploma in the aftermath of the 2007/08 recession, and the Master's became the new Bachelor's beginning in the mid-2010's with the exception of select fields of study. Save for mostly STEM-oriented professions, the aforementioned occurrence was abject nonsense that only served to make higher ed — and its reliance upon taxpayer-funded subsidization coupled with diminishing ROI — all the more problematic. This is an issue that's far more complicated than average, and even comparatively well-educated folks, either understand and/or are willing to admit.
I agree. While I do not disagree with OP's post, it is more complicated than just saying that low wage earners should not come here due to COL. A first year teacher or rookie cop would have a hard time making it here without a second breadwinner at home and/or equity/savings from property they might have had in another state.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:06 PM

OP specifically refers to people who have recently moved here or are considering the move. I think those are important distinctions. Many of us were born and raised here and for the first time it has become unaffordable. But what are we to do after a certain age?

I am in my late 50's and need to leave, but it is hard when you are older and have limited resources. I wish I could be like Angela and just pack up my pets, get in my car and leave!

Old 10-02-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRetired View Post
Yes, I was one of these people. Left a decent job to move to Sunny Florida. Lol, was freezing my a.s off and at age 20 jumped in my Honda Civic (my 1st car, hatchback) and drove. Now I look back at age 64, I was crazy!!! But hey, young and dreaming.

GREAT ADVICE!!!

Angela
You took a chance like many young people.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:46 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Florida's tourist industry was built on low wage jobs. But with the growth it's been getting, especially from non-retirees, they may be bringing down higher skill business with him. A guy in my building (in NYC) moved down there, and started a new subsidiary of the financial business he was running in NYC. He's not going to get the people he needs for minimum wage.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:50 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
News Flash: I know this thread is about typical Fl. low paying jobs...but the Feds will now pay 1300.00 a week to anyone who wants to come down to the SW coast of Florida to counties like Collier, Lee, Charlotte, Sarasota, DeSoto, and clean up storm debris. A job that doesn't last, but 1300.00 a week for a strapping young man is good 'pickins.

(Yes, this is real, I live in Lee County where Ian hit and it is being broadcast on all the news stations)

Old 10-06-2022, 09:55 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
News Flash: I know this thread is about typical Fl. low paying jobs...but the Feds will now pay 1300.00 a week to anyone who wants to come down to the SW coast of Florida to counties like Collier, Lee, Charlotte, Sarasota, DeSoto, and clean up storm debris. A job that doesn't last, but 1300.00 a week for a strapping young man is good 'pickins.

(Yes, this is real, I live in Lee County where Ian hit and it is being broadcast on all the news stations)
You could probably make the same amount going freelance on that and getting paid in cash and not having to worry about it being taxed!

Old 10-07-2022, 06:57 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Alabama has long poached good teachers away from the Florida panhandle with a promise of significantly higher pay and less micromanaging. And the best and brightest kids here so very often bail to Atlanta after college graduation because there’s a better pathway to get ahead there than there is in Tampa or Jacksonville.

In the next couple of years, the public sector employee problem is going to get worse because so many folks currently in those positions are the people who could make it work on 2003 salaries because they have/had 2003 house payments. And now they’re hitting retirement age and the possible replacement pool of employees is not impressed by a job ad for a firefighter that says ‘steady schedule so it’s easy to work a second job as well’ like I’ve seen listed for Pensacola/Escambia. Plenty of places out there that may not have palm tress but don’t require a second job to make life work.
You could not pay me to live in Alabama. I flew into mobile years ago for training and the fake ass southern hospitality turned me off. It’s too slow paced for me as well.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:54 AM

25,731 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Florida's tourist industry was built on low wage jobs. But with the growth it's been getting, especially from non-retirees, they may be bringing down higher skill business with him. A guy in my building (in NYC) moved down there, and started a new subsidiary of the financial business he was running in NYC. He's not going to get the people he needs for minimum wage.
They call South Florida the "Wall Street of the South". Our financial sector is booming due to people like the guy in your NY building.

Florida just raised the minimum wage to $11/hr for workers who do not earn tips, and $7.68/hr for those who do earn tips.

Minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage, but many people get the two confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida