Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2022, 12:41 PM

17,608 posts, read 6,894,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I agree. Let's hear what he has to say after 2 weeks with no electricity, no water, no AC, no internet.
Oh no! What do you think would be worse, dying from COVID or dying from a hurricane??? Or worse yet, "long COVID" during a hurricane?

You do understand that we are not immortal and everyone dies, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 01:01 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
We lost power for a week after Charley. There is nothing to look forward to when it comes to this.
Oh yeah there is. You hang on and count every second till the power comes back on. From a veteran of many after storm power losses here. The times ranged from 1 1/2days to 10 days. Not counting Andrew, of course. Our neighborhood was without power for 3 months.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
We didn’t see the out of state power company caravans up on I-10 yet this weekend; I assume they’re organizing today, driving tomorrow, and will probably be staging at some big fairground in Ocala or Lakeland before long.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:45 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Oh no! What do you think would be worse, dying from COVID or dying from a hurricane??? Or worse yet, "long COVID" during a hurricane?

You do understand that we are not immortal and everyone dies, right?
huh? This post is directed at LKJ1988 who keeps saying he wants a nice Cat1 or Cat 2 hurricane over his house for a few days because his area doesn't get rain. Not so sure what it has to do with Covid or being immortal?

Miami is already getting the outer bands of Ian. We just had a fierce thunderstorm and had a power surge. Yikes!

Old 09-26-2022, 03:04 PM

206 posts, read 90,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I'm not talking about that place mace. Looks like the end for me if the track gets much closer. Gun and sisters pills are ready if the house goes. I can make it ok if the track stays like it is or moves more west. Another 35 miles east and it's lights out dwight for good. Gotta make sure i keep the Corvette and telescopes from getting wet. No POW WOW for days i am sure. Long as the roof stays on and the house don't flood from surge i will just have tough it out with no A/C lee. One good thing is the land mass goes more northeast where i am and that will help with surge. Cedar key will get blasted with surge as the land mass goes out to the west.

Latest Runs have Ian stalling out southwest of Tampa and spinning itself out there before moving northwards. However Model runs being what they are they could change at any time. Wish you Good Luck.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:27 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH86 View Post
Latest Runs have Ian stalling out southwest of Tampa and spinning itself out there before moving northwards. However Model runs being what they are they could change at any time. Wish you Good Luck.
look at them again closer....both the GFS and ECMWF have it stalling out right on top of the mouth of Tampa Bay...right over St. Petersburg

hurricane winds for a good 24 hours....and actual hurricane for a good 12 hours.....just parked there

Last edited by Corrie22; 09-26-2022 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-26-2022, 04:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
look at them again closer....both the GFS and ECMWF have it stalling out right on top of the mouth of Tampa Bay...right over St. Petersburg

hurricane winds for a good 24 hours....and actual hurricane for a good 12 hours.....just parked there
The doomsday scenario for the Tampa Bay Area is that kind of surge that just keeps pushing more and more water into bay, bayous and local rivers. Here’s hoping it moves through much faster than that.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:27 PM

152 posts, read 130,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
They're not a country. They're a territory of the United States of America. Puerto Ricans are Americans.
I just don't think Florida can accomodate them all every time there is a problem on their island. In case you are not aware, there is a housing crisis in central Florida. No more room at the Inn, sorry. Fan out to other states or stay on island.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:36 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneParty2022 View Post
I just don't think Florida can accomodate them all every time there is a problem on their island. In case you are not aware, there is a housing crisis in central Florida. No more room at the Inn, sorry. Fan out to other states or stay on island.
It is the state that is closest to theirs. The most easily accessible. Large Spanish-speaking population. High number of Puerto Ricans in the state. There are numerous vacant hotels, especially in Osceola County, that can accommodate them.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:42 PM

152 posts, read 130,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
It is the state that is closest to theirs. The most easily accessible. Large Spanish-speaking population. High number of Puerto Ricans in the state. There are numerous vacant hotels, especially in Osceola County, that can accommodate them.
Yeah but it just doesn't seem to be working though, from what I have seen going on here. The crime, the gangs. Have you been to Kissimmee?

I think they would be better off to stay down there and try to fix their own island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida