Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 08:56 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBToast View Post
That's so good that your solar battery kept everything going and that you could help neighbors! Our internet is Comcast and it was out for 8 days, then came back and I posted (above), then after a few days went out again for a week and we just got it back a couple days ago. Had a real struggle with them (us plus neighbors) as they told us for days "there was no outage in our area". Flooding from our lake caused it as the water covered the cable boxes in back yards. We are all considering Frontier now. No boxes.

South Venice is public roads so the claw trucks can go there. All the neighborhoods that have HOA (even without gates) are considered private roads and the claw trucks cannot go in. So 3 weeks later all the debris is still here and no time line for pick up. It still reads TBD (To Be Determined) on Sarasota Emergency Update maps.
There was a lot of roof damage in our development but only a few (that I know) need totally new roofs. Luckily a good local handyman has been working our neighborhood every day fixing the soffits for one house after another. Important to keep the critters out! Can't get any roofers on the phone and it's understandable.
Quite a few neighbors lost entire pool cages and are being told a year (or can't get anyone on the phone yet) and $20K. It might seem like a minor item but that's a lot of money to some retirees. One friend had an oak fall on her house and they need both a new tile roof and the entire pool cage.
We are obviously much better off than south of where it came ashore but it's still a lot of time and headache as Old Rocky said above.
There’s a lot unhappiness with Comcast, our son is still having problems with his internet through them. There are many roofs with shingles and tiles missing, but surprising to me is the number of newer homes that have roof damage. I guess it’s the same reason some trees went down and others didn’t, it’s a mixture of conditions and how the wind hit. Our next door neighbors had their metal roof mast where the power line comes in snap off. It was repaired and FPL came out to hook the line up after the repair.

So how does the debris get picked up in HOAs if the FEMA trucks can’t come in since they’re private roads? Are private contractors used or does an agreement need to be reached with the County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 02:10 PM

1,291 posts, read 176,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
There’s a lot unhappiness with Comcast, our son is still having problems with his internet through them. There are many roofs with shingles and tiles missing, but surprising to me is the number of newer homes that have roof damage. I guess it’s the same reason some trees went down and others didn’t, it’s a mixture of conditions and how the wind hit. Our next door neighbors had their metal roof mast where the power line comes in snap off. It was repaired and FPL came out to hook the line up after the repair.

So how does the debris get picked up in HOAs if the FEMA trucks can’t come in since they’re private roads? Are private contractors used or does an agreement need to be reached with the County?
Our Comcast internet was out for only 6 days but it was real iffy for the next 3 weeks. Up and down all the time, and slow as dial-up most of the time it was up. Finally back to normal as of 3 days ago. Knock on wood. We called them and asked to be credited for the month because it was barely useable, and they gave it to us. $79 in our pocket, after spending thousands so far on repairs is a little ray of sunshine.

Yes, the differences in damage from one house to the other, one tree versus the one down the road, all depended on the conditions in that particular spot. Our pool cage is post-Charley vintage. The screens all got ripped, shredded, torn right off, but the structure is solid. We only had to have all the screens replaced and that was done 2 weeks ago, which I've heard is amazingly quick. We got lucky, I guess. Down the road, new pool cage in a 2-year old house, crumpled up like a used tissue. New cage can't be built til August 2023 at the earliest. Most new roofs around here are good, although there is the odd new one that got damaged badly. Either was poor workmanship or just the luck of the draw, with the wind being particularly strong in that spot. Who knows?

Most oak trees in our area just got a bunch of big branches smashed and broken. Yet a few other oak trees in the same vicinity fell right over. Big beautiful elderly statesmen of the neighborhood, toppled and gone. That makes me sad the most.

We've had those huge Bunyan trucks come by lately to take away the plant debris. They have trouble with piles under the low cable lines though. And since it's been a month, most of the dead brown leaves are left behind in piles all over the place. We'll be cleaning up for weeks more.

Even though I've gotten over the worst of the trauma, I'm still thinking we should look to leave. I don't want to do all this again. It's too much work, too much disruption, too much stress. Just waiting to see what the insurance company will say. Probably won't be for a while yet but I'll be shocked if it's good news.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:04 PM

56 posts, read 39,429 times
Hopefully Nicole will not do more damage to the areas trying to recover from Ian. And folks evacuate as needed. Such a stressful time = worrying about possible looting…..

Old 11-10-2022, 08:51 AM

700 posts, read 1,818,744 times
We had minor wind and rain with Nicole. Less than a summer thunderstorm. On a side note: just got a call about our shingles were not covered under warranty by GAF. (year old roof, shingles unlimited wind. Cap shingles 70mph warranty). I'm not worried and figured as such. Lost cap shingles. The 'official' wind speed in our area (Chevy Chase area) was 168. No wonder there was so much damage. Just glad the wind was blowing out the tide.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:25 AM

18,433 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
The 'official' wind speed in our area (Chevy Chase area) was 168..

are you sure?.......168 is a cat 5....did you mean 68
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida