Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 11:16 PM

17,127 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Quoting myself! lol

A friend just asked me how the island grocery stores will get stocked without trucks being able to drive groceries and supplies over the causeway. Does anyone know what the plan is, if there is one yet?
Exactly….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 04:14 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Quoting myself! lol

A friend just asked me how the island grocery stores will get stocked without trucks being able to drive groceries and supplies over the causeway. Does anyone know what the plan is, if there is one yet?
By bloat like a silly bloke.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:34 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
By bloat like a silly bloke.
I'm not sure what you mean. By boat?

Old 10-02-2022, 08:44 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
there's a lot of people that just can not do it....age, some handicap, medical, etc...and a lot of people that just can not afford to do it...evacuating is expensive...too expensive for a lot of people...and evacuate to where?

I watched the coast guard pull shell shocked people out of mobile homes and off Sanibel Island. These people all had prior warning and most had cars. 1 hour away would have done it. The storm path was predicted and more or less did what they said it was going to do. If you had money go down the Tamiami Trail to the east; if you don't go to Everglades city or Imokalee. I was in Ft Lauderdale on vacay as the storm approached. One could have simply driven there and spent the night in their car in one of the concrete garages.

This did not have to happen. Most of these people are victims of their own poor judgement and now we supposed to be concerned with how they will get groceries ? Sorry to sound callous but a certain about of taking responsibility for your own dumb actions is in order here.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. By boat?
Boat. My keyboard moved.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I watched the coast guard pull shell shocked people out of mobile homes and off Sanibel Island. These people all had prior warning and most had cars. 1 hour away would have done it. The storm path was predicted and more or less did what they said it was going to do. If you had money go down the Tamiami Trail to the east; if you don't go to Everglades city or Imokalee. I was in Ft Lauderdale on vacay as the storm approached. One could have simply driven there and spent the night in their car in one of the concrete garages.

This did not have to happen. Most of these people are victims of their own poor judgement and now we supposed to be concerned with how they will get groceries ? Sorry to sound callous but a certain about of taking responsibility for your own dumb actions is in order here.
I am sure all them type of homes won't be allowed anymore in that area. The storm weeded out the cheaper homes.

Last edited by LKJ1988; 10-02-2022 at 09:21 AM..

Old 10-02-2022, 09:06 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times
Quote:

Well said.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:08 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:

Just a question here, I'm not judging all the people who would not evacuate... who pays for the helicopter evacuations that took place on the barrier islands?

Old 10-02-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Just a question here, I'm not judging all the people who would not evacuate... who pays for the helicopter evacuations that took place on the barrier islands?
You do and everyone else.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:47 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:

The taxpayers pay for all the government sponsored aid.

"Federal funding is available to state, tribal and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations for debris and emergency protective measures, including public assistance, direct federal assistance, for debris removal for Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Hardee, Hillsborough, Lee, Manatee, Pinellas and Sarasota counties.

In addition, all 67 counties and the Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida and the Seminole Tribe of Florida are eligible for emergency protective measures. Federal funding is available for debris removal and emergency protective measures at 100% of the total eligible costs for a period of 30 days. "

https://www.fema.gov/press-release/2...ration-florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida