Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 05:38 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_and_dd View Post
Well, I haven't had flood ins - I know stupid and risky - I live in an AE9 zone and house floor elevation is 10' 4".

I called my insurance agent and she quoted a price of $6500 - WOW. (250k building and 100k contents).

That seems way high compared to what others have said theirs is. quotes from NFIP should be identical from any company - correct?

have the rates just changed due to new flood zone maps? or due to IAN?

Dave in Port Charlotte

PS - I tried searching the forums on "flood insurance" or "flood" and got zero results - I guess there's something wrong with search....
Looks really high to me. We live on a canal just off the Peace River about 12 miles north of PG, and just before the hurricane renewed our flood insurance ( FEMA administered via Progressive, through our local insurance agent. The annual premium was around $700. We have an elevation certificate ( 11 feet) that we submitted to the insurer when we first applied for flood insurance for this house several years ago. The area adjacent to the canal is rated as an 8AE flood zone. Further back towards the road where the house is located ( slopes up towards the road) it's not considered in the FEMA designated flood zone ( x flood zone). Nevertheless our rates are based on the 8AE designation down by the canal, and our elevation certificate. Fortunately, we will have no flood ( rising water or surge) claims from Ian.

I had once upon a time looked at the flood policies offered by private insurers, instead of through FEMA, namely,LLoyd's of London, and found their premiums to be significantly higher for similar coverage. Is the policy for which you were quoted $6000 a FEMA policy or with another insurer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 09:58 AM

451 posts, read 455,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I have some news to share with everyone. Having a house in non-flood area (zone X), I was NOT able to find any insurance to offer flood coverage! None! It was earlier this year, I was willing to pay extra as a piece of mind, but was NOT able to find a single insurance company willing to provide flood insurance.
There are only 2 situations where insurers tend to deny coverage. Communities that don't participate in NFIP or areas covered by the Coastal Barrier Resources Act of 1982. It falls on a property purchaser to do their research.
Communities not in NFIP:
https://www.fema.gov/cis/FL.html#comm_not_part_id

Old 10-21-2022, 10:33 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I thoughT if you want flood insurance,you go to FEMA

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), does not sell flood insurance. FEMA provides flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which partners with more than 60 private insurance companies to sell flood insurance policies. The government sets the rates, which should be the same from company to company or agent to agent. The cost depends on a variety of things such as base flood elevation of the property, how much insurance a homeowner wants, how flood-prone the neighborhood is per FEMA maps.

To be eligible to purchase flood insurance, communities must adopt and enforce FEMA floodplain ordinances to mitigate flood damage. Any property owner can buy flood insurance if their community participates in the program, whether you live in a high- or low-risk flood zone. If your community doesn't participate, then you cannot buy flood insurance.To be eligible, communities must adopt and enforce floodplain ordinances to mitigate flood damage. FEMA makes sure communities are following the rules. Anyone can buy flood insurance if their community participates in the program, and it doesn't matter if you live in a high- or low-risk flood zone. If your community doesn't participate, then you cannot buy flood insurance -- which may be why one of the other posters on this thread couldn't find available flood insurance in their particular area.

The NFIP gives homeowners the option of purchasing building property coverage, personal contents coverage, or both. Each of these types of policies cover different things. Flood insurance excludes things such as out buildings, pools, patios, landscaping from coverage.

Old 10-23-2022, 05:09 PM

20 posts, read 20,079 times
so...some follow up info.

that quote was from the NFIP program. however, it was based solely on my 9AE zone. I got a elevation cert which says that min mechanical elevation is 10.4 and finished floor elevation is 10.7. got a requote at $1900 for the building and $900 for the contents.

ended up taking that and have a few weeks to wait for the waiting period to finish. but (hopefully) looks like might not have any more threats this season.

Thanks for all the info...
Dave in Port Charlotte

Old 10-23-2022, 05:42 PM

211 posts, read 140,124 times
Half the lawyers in Florida are laughing at us.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:43 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_and_dd View Post
so...some follow up info.

that quote was from the NFIP program. however, it was based solely on my 9AE zone. I got a elevation cert which says that min mechanical elevation is 10.4 and finished floor elevation is 10.7. got a requote at $1900 for the building and $900 for the contents.

ended up taking that and have a few weeks to wait for the waiting period to finish. but (hopefully) looks like might not have any more threats this season.

Thanks for all the info...
Dave in Port Charlotte
It's over rover for canes the rest of the year.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:29 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
I cancelled our flood insurance last year, & Ian had wifey freaking. I was mildly concerned, but our "X" perched home stayed dry. Water got halfway up the driveway, & yard. 1 more foot of rain, & we'd have gotten wet.

We're 8 miles inland, so storm surge isn't an issue for us...20"+ of rain is when we see kayaks paddling down our streets.

The government is building a levee near our home that will keep us dry until we sell.

I'm even thinking about canceling our homeowners insurance. The liability portion is all I want, but I need to ask our broker if I can keep that & scrap the rest. I'm guessing not.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:41 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
There are only 2 situations where insurers tend to deny coverage. Communities that don't participate in NFIP or areas covered by the Coastal Barrier Resources Act of 1982. It falls on a property purchaser to do their research.
Communities not in NFIP:
https://www.fema.gov/cis/FL.html#comm_not_part_id
Doesn't make sense as previous house owner had flood insurance (their choice, not required as house is not in flood zone), however I was unable to find any insurance company to provide flood insurance coverage for the same exact house.
My point is - insurance companies are picky nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: