Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 08:15 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,198,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
And how many other areas of the country would be subject to the same conditions? Listen, if I own property on the ocean and want to build there, meet all the building codes, then that's what I'll do, along with millions of others. I understand the risk, the cost and the benefits. Will the Obama's have to move too?

Now with that said, I see the need for controlled growth, not no growth. It's called the pursuit of happiness. Our state has plenty of access, since all ocean/gulf beaches are public land. Not all inland bodies of water have public access.
Oh I understand money talks no doubt, unfortunately!

We are a complete detriment to the local environment, and what’s even more frustrating is we play the victim card…. Like I said earlier, I sincerely hope for another massive storm, same path, same result, and yes more suffering short term so we can hopefully learn our lesson that those barrier islands should be restored for the benefit of the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 08:26 PM

3,280 posts, read 2,247,962 times
Quote:
And how many other areas of the country would be subject to the same conditions? Listen, if I own property on the ocean and want to build there, meet all the building codes, then that's what I'll do, along with millions of others. I understand the risk, the cost and the benefits. Will the Obama's have to move too?

Now with that said, I see the need for controlled growth, not no growth. It's called the pursuit of happiness. Our state has plenty of access, since all ocean/gulf beaches are public land. Not all inland bodies of water have public access.
So you're fine with polluting the water, infringing on the flora and fauna that thrives near the shores, creating an unnatural barrier between water and land, because you have that whole pursuit of happiness going for you? That's what makes you happy?

Mom told me when I grew up I'd understand that "just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Maybe your mom never told you that. Looking back, it was one of the wisest things she's ever said to me.

Old 10-08-2022, 09:55 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:

Your typical lame-o response.

What do the Obamas and their home in Martha's Vineyard have to do with hurricane-damaged coastal SW Florida...other than dragging politics into it?

Old 10-09-2022, 05:26 AM

30,146 posts, read 20,868,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Your typical lame-o response.

What do the Obamas and their home in Martha's Vineyard have to do with hurricane-damaged coastal SW Florida...other than dragging politics into it?
You are dealing with a one trick pony tony. Best to use ignore.

Old 10-09-2022, 05:27 AM

30,146 posts, read 20,868,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Where in the world did you find #15 wire? That size doesn't even exist in the NEC.
I use it bra.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:31 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,922,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Knowing any claims would end up being denied (or would be nearly impossible to get any settlement), the home-owner decides not to even bother with flood insurance.
I don’t find this to be the reason. Most people don’t think they’d ever flood out… until they do.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Oh I understand money talks no doubt, unfortunately!

We are a complete detriment to the local environment, and what’s even more frustrating is we play the victim card…. Like I said earlier, I sincerely hope for another massive storm, same path, same result, and yes more suffering short term so we can hopefully learn our lesson that those barrier islands should be restored for the benefit of the long term.
What a terrible thing to say.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:49 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,198,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What a terrible thing to say.
You mean a true thing to say? Or are you just going to ignore the fact we are decimating the local environment from our own stupidity and stubbornness?

By restoring the barrier islands like Sanibel and FMB it will help prevent future environmental disasters as bad as this one since there wouldn’t be any structures for storm surge to wash into the Gulf and waterways, preventing further polluting the local environment like Ian has.

Instead because we are stubborn and entitled we will rebuild and when the next storm comes as bad as Ian you will have another round of immeasurable amount of debris and toxic materials making their way into the Gulf and local waterways once again, all because we didn’t learn our lesson from this storm. So yes, I sincerely hope another major hurricane in the next year or so has the same path, same result, wipes out any rebuild progress and really forces us to change our ways and restore those barrier islands to their natural habitats.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 10-09-2022 at 07:09 AM..

Old 10-09-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
You mean a true thing to say?
No, I meant a terrible thing to say.

Old 10-09-2022, 07:33 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,484,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is fair rate though? Insurance is a gamble. For a long while now, in Florida, the odds are not in favor of the insurance company.

If the house is completely destroyed like I have seen in some vids, then repairing is like building a brand new one from scratch. It should be as expensive as buying a house then. Most people are taking out loan, and paying it off slowly. But one needs the house repaired/built again right away and not slowly. Insurance has to pay all that out at once.

Take into account its not just one house in the area, but an entire town or neighborhood. Now of course the payout is coming from a much much larger pool that can be statewide, or even nationwide. But if company knows this disaster is likely to occur biannually or close, then they likely gonna to charge higher premiums or not even offer insurance at all.
This is common sense. People don’t like to spend money on insurance. My relatives too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida