Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 05:01 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this - the only thing I hate about where I live (new england) is the politics. I love everything else. So much so, I was considering leaving at retirement and now I am having second thoughts.

I say this not to put the south down, but I think maybe, they want to give some thought to taking some ideas from northern areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 05:47 PM

17,277 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Supply and demand, my friend. Supply and demand!
No its a few headlining high sales in a limited market........if 8-10 houses sell for crazy money then that means 8-10 really rich people wanted to live in that zip code. Lets imagine 10 houses at 10 million, so thats 100 million in sales.

By contrast if 100 people move to a new community in Florida and spend 1mm each on a house. The same 100 million was spent but 100 people did it vs. 10.

Dollars are to the penny equal but clearly the demand in Florida is 10X higher. So while the high dollar sales mark a zip code as highest in the nation that really doesn't reflect on actual demand. You could use the same argument for Lyford Cay or Paradise Island in the Bahamas, lots of high dollar sales but clearly not everybody wants to live on a small island in the Carribbean 150 miles from the US.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:18 AM

124 posts, read 98,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I was thinking about this - the only thing I hate about where I live (new england) is the politics. I love everything else. So much so, I was considering leaving at retirement and now I am having second thoughts.

I say this not to put the south down, but I think maybe, they want to give some thought to taking some ideas from northern areas.
Nay, we southerners are doing just fine, and always have for the most part.

That's why the South is not the "solid South" and really never has been.

For instance, Arkansas is really nothing like Louisiana, east TN is nothing like Nashville/center and center/Nash is nothing like west TN/Memphis/N Miss, South AL/Mobile is nothing like Jackson/delta MS, central AL/Birmingham is nothing like northAL/Huntsville-Decatur, Central GA/Atlanta is absolutely nothing like southGA/Waycross/Columbus/Macon lol.......JacksonvilleFL is nothing like Miami-Dade-Broward........I could go on and on, but maybe someone gets the pic

Old 12-05-2022, 03:23 PM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
New York and Florida are so different from each other that there is no comparison. You need to compare apples to apples, not apples to spaghetti.

Old 12-10-2022, 02:29 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
I think it is clear the educational system is far superior in New York and New England and the people have a lot more intellectual interests. They are more well read. They are more serious about politics. They are more ambitious and strive for high-powered careers.

Florida attracts a lot of burn outs. People who have failed and want a fresh start. People at the twilight of their lives retiring. The jobs are low skill and low wage.

It doesn't snow here though and that is a lot. More than enough for most.

Old 12-10-2022, 05:38 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I think it is clear the educational system is far superior in New York and New England and the people have a lot more intellectual interests. They are more well read. They are more serious about politics. They are more ambitious and strive for high-powered careers.

Florida attracts a lot of burn outs. People who have failed and want a fresh start. People at the twilight of their lives retiring. The jobs are low skill and low wage.

It doesn't snow here though and that is a lot. More than enough for most.
HAHAHAHA!

Florida: the state where people retire or move to because of the weather - and then spend most of the year in air-conditioned buildings to avoid the weather.

Old 12-10-2022, 05:49 PM

30,397 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
HAHAHAHA!

Florida: the state where people retire or move to because of the weather - and then spend most of the year in air-conditioned buildings to avoid the weather.
When it is 94f and dews or around 78f no one can take that kind of heat pete. Now it's year round heat as we don't have winters anymore.

Old 12-11-2022, 06:05 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
I'm not ready for the either or decision. I enjoy New England and Florida. I downsized my Connecticut home a few years ago and bought a much less expensive home here and that allowed me to also buy a small condo in Florida. I know others from New England, NY, NJ, and PA who have done the same. I enjoy spending time in both places. Florida has a lot to offer for those who like to enjoy year-round warm-weather activities. From mid-October to the end of April Florida's weather can't be beat. When I fully retire I plan to spend more time in Florida and change my residence but I will likely always maintain a home in Connecticut.

Old 12-11-2022, 08:51 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I'm not ready for the either or decision. I enjoy New England and Florida. I downsized my Connecticut home a few years ago and bought a much less expensive home here and that allowed me to also buy a small condo in Florida. I know others from New England, NY, NJ, and PA who have done the same. I enjoy spending time in both places. Florida has a lot to offer for those who like to enjoy year-round warm-weather activities. From mid-October to the end of April Florida's weather can't be beat. When I fully retire I plan to spend more time in Florida and change my residence but I will likely always maintain a home in Connecticut.
Hundreds of thousands of "snowbirds" live in Florida. That's the thing - a lot of these folks who are moving here, aren't moving OUT of anywhere. They're just at the retirement age, have money saved up or a really nice retirement package that allows them to buy a winter home in the south. They're still living in the north during the warmer months.

This has been especially true over the last 15 years, which is when the Baby Boomers retired. Equally important - because this IS when the Baby Boomers retired - there have been more people retiring and moving to Florida - which is something people have been doing for decades. But there were more baby boomers - therefore more retirees during this past 15 year period of time. And that means - more people moving to Florida. Not because of politics, but because - this is traditionally one of those places people retire to.

Old 12-18-2022, 09:44 AM

327 posts, read 221,748 times
I lived in Palm Beach County many years ago, when the general vibe of the area was slowly shifting from Orange County, CA to Suffolk County, NY. Even with far fewer ex-New Yorkers in the area than today, all I heard — all day long — was “NY this” or “NY that.” After a while, I had to leave the area because I could no longer stand the culture and vibe of it, which became heavily influenced by NY. Due to all of the NY-to-FL migration that has already occurred in the early 2020s, the situation must be far direr than it was back then (and getting worse with each passing day). Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida