Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:54 AM

22 posts, read 90,459 times

Advertisements

Thank you to all the people who post questions and answers here on City Data. I have spent hours reading and learning as much as I can about living in Florida. My husband and I are planning to move to Florida in a few months and the information on this site has been so helpful. We have visited both the West side, all the way down to Naples and and the East side as far down as Fort Lauderdale.
I have been told that the lifestyle is quite different on each side, can someone tell if this is true and why?
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks, Jody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 04:32 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
Question East vs West

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyj1622 View Post
Thank you to all the people who post questions and answers here on City Data. I have spent hours reading and learning as much as I can about living in Florida. My husband and I are planning to move to Florida in a few months and the information on this site has been so helpful. We have visited both the West side, all the way down to Naples and and the East side as far down as Fort Lauderdale.
I have been told that the lifestyle is quite different on each side, can someone tell if this is true and why?
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks, Jody
The east coast of Florida is basically an extension of New the England States or as some say a direct extension of New York...it is quicker paced than the west coast and housing can be two to three times more expensive......of course...if you are young....20's to early 40's the east coast might be for you....the west coast is slow paced and you can actually buy a home/house for 200K....you can research housing on this site... REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale ...as well as other facts about the areas you are interested in....I would RENT before I bought and I would try both coasts before I made any purchase....

Old 05-28-2008, 01:58 PM

Thank you for responding to my post. We are planning to rent for a few months to experience it for ourselves but not sure which side of Florida to stay in. We don't want to rent in the middle of the state and visit each coast, we want to live in the area so we get a real feel for it. Any suggestions on which side to go? Is there a big difference in temp or humidity, people, things to see? I appreciate any comments.
Thanks, Jody

Old 05-28-2008, 04:18 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
The east coast of Florida is basically an extension of New the England States or as some say a direct extension of New York...it is quicker paced than the west coast and housing can be two to three times more expensive......of course...if you are young....20's to early 40's the east coast might be for you....the west coast is slow paced and you can actually buy a home/house for 200K....you can research housing on this site... REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale ...as well as other facts about the areas you are interested in....I would RENT before I bought and I would try both coasts before I made any purchase....
Really we need to differentiate the urban areas on the east coast.. It is much different in Vero Beach or Melbourne or even Daytona compared to the SE part which is a world unto itself.. The pace in the Tampa area is also much faster than the space coast or treasure coast on the Atlantic side cause it actually has a real economy of younger working age folks and is densely populated regardless if folks are from the NE or the midwest.. A shift ongoing out of Dade, Broward,and Palm Beach by folks from the NE who at one time primarily settled down there.. SE Florida increasingly is becoming a land of immigrants from points south of the US border instead of from the north. Housing prices have come down a lot everywhere. You can get a newer starter home in PSL for $80k again only a 40 minute commute to WPB. The pace appears to be slowest in Hernando and Citrus counties on the west coast with Charlotte County not far behind in large part because of it's average age..

Climate wise you get a nicer breeze on the Atlantic Side but it is more humid.. You get a much shorter condensed hot humid summer season the further north you go plus you get lower temperatures at night on the west coast at the same latitude . For instance 9+ months of A/C weather in Ft Lauderdale or Ft Myers might be the norm but you might get away with only 4-5 months up in St Augustine or Brooksville..

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 05-28-2008 at 04:29 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 11:01 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
I think it's true that the East Coast of Florida attracts more folks from the NorthEast, but it's not really an extension of NY where I am....we're more akin to Georgia than New York .

In South Florida, it may be the case, but in NorthEast Florida we get people relocating from everywhere - often from different countries - so it's a real mix here....there's no one overriding cultural group.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:53 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
NORTH FLORIDA is where you should Move. Forget the ridiculous prices and traffic of south and central florida.

Move to Tallahassee. We get 4 seasons!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:19 PM

Thank you to all who responded. I was thinking of looking around Port St. Lucie but when I drove thru that area a few years ago, it seemed to be more of strip mall than an actual town. I would like to live somewhere that has a "downtown" area, is there or are they building an area like that in Port St. Lucie outside of the one at Traditions that I have read about?
Jody

Old 09-05-2009, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 8,535 times
I have been to Miami, Deerfield and Tampa. Of all I prefer Tampa. If you want a nice community try Dade City in Tampa. Lake Jovita in Dade City, Tampa is great for retirees. Check out their website. LakeJovita.com

Old 09-05-2009, 02:09 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,634 times
This was such a great topic. Wha' happened? Let's resurrect it.

Tallahasee? What's good/bad about it?

Old 05-20-2012, 04:24 AM

74 posts, read 120,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo178979 View Post
I have been to Miami, Deerfield and Tampa. Of all I prefer Tampa. If you want a nice community try Dade City in Tampa. Lake Jovita in Dade City, Tampa is great for retirees. Check out their website. LakeJovita.com
Yaa, boy! Did a week of searching the area. When the queen of all patient realtors, Debbie Collura, showed me a house there I got stuck and couldn't get unstuck. Beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida