Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 11:25 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times

Advertisements

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/mos...a-atlanta-rank

The Free State of Florida is the 5th most expensive state in the USA to buy groceries. More expensive than NY, IL, TX!

And Miami is the MOST expensive city in America for groceries. That's right! More expensive than NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, etc.

Go Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 11:52 AM

17,120 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Okay let's be real here... I mainly shop at Sprouts and primarily get all organic foods, pasture-raised/free-range animal products, sockeye salmon, etc. etc. HEAVY on fresh produce/vegetables/fruits, and I indulge in frivolous products such as Perrier (or Liquid Death, because my son seems to prefer those for some reason) water and random mid-priced Pinot Grigio finds.
I highly doubt the average Floridian shops like this, let alone on a weekly basis. My WEEKLY average grocery bill does not comes close to $300. $300 is for weeks when I am running low on basic household items, spices, etc.

Anyway... I'm not sure why it would be surprising that Florida is at the higher end of the spectrum. We don't grow much of our own produce here, and it's not like the state is centrally-located or easily accessible from most parts of the country.

Old 02-07-2024, 12:28 PM

25,690 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Florida is on a long Penninsula in a corner of the USA.

That means its not near the center of the USA, which would make it easier for transportation of the goods to market.

A large portion of grocery costs are transportation, so our remote locale is what drives up the prices, to some extent.

Also, Publix had a near monoploy for decades, so they jacked up prices, which are still way up there now.

Publix hasn't moderated their price much at all to compete w/ Wal Mart, Aldi, Sprouts yet, because they have not lost enough market share to them to force a pricing concession. Covid also helped Publix keep prices high.

As Aldi & Wal Mart open more and more stores, Publix may have to moderate prices a bit.

Publix doesn't see these discounters as direct competitors though, so I wouldn't expect a big drop...just a small drop.

Floridians love Publix and are willing to pay more to shop there...like my wife...who buys mostly BOGO's which are still more costly than I pay at Aldi's regular everyday prices.

Florida has millions of tourists who are a captive audience for Publix. Tourists are not as price sensitive.

Florida also has more affluent shoppers who can afford higher prices. People who retire to Florida, or who snowbird are more affluent than average U.S. grocery buyers.

Those are some of the factors I can think of contributing to higher grocery prices.

I noticed the price jump when I moved from Atlanta to SW FLA, but now that Aldi opened up nearby, I've driven my costs back down. Now, if I can just stop my wife from going to Publix

Old 02-07-2024, 12:37 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
What are "families without children" BUYING that they're spending $270/week on groceries?

I just ballparked based on current sales at Publix and a couple of other local supermarkets, to find "non-sale" prices. Here's what I got:

2 emerald nuts $4.85
2 12-packs Heineken Lager $34.00
1 pkg organic chicken tenderloins 8.00
Filet mignon for 2 people 35.00
week's worth organic salad ingredients 25.00
week's worth organic fruit 20.00
organic grass-fed dairy milk gallon 8.00
4-pack Charmin toilet paper 6.00
2 rolls bounty paper towels 5.00
2 subs from publix 18.00
Dave's bread - two loafs 15.00
lb. organic pasta 4.00
jar Rao's or high end sauce 10.00
italian bread 2.00
garlic bulb, 1 stick butter 2.00
6-pack pepsi 9.00
1 lb parmesano reggiano 25.00
gourmet brand of ritz crackers 10.00

Subtotal is $241 including tax. I mean I could add a cheesecake and gourmet organic cashew butter and strawberry jam for lunches.

But who are these people buying groceries like this on average every week?

Old 02-07-2024, 01:13 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
I'm currently in Houston, the 2nd most expensive city for the groceries.
Haven't even noticed how it became so expensive. Before 2022 it felt moderately priced.
Moving to Tampa Bay in a few months...but am I expecting groceries to be a lot cheaper?
Maybe $2-3 per week, but should not be that different.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:32 PM

249 posts, read 115,446 times
The "Free State of Florida" beats most other states at most other things, so overall, it's still one of the best places to live, & retire in the USA.

Florida's always on "the best of" lists.

Hawaii's grocery prices are way higher than Florida's...does that make Hawaii any less attractive?

I'm saving $12,000/yr on income taxes in FLA, & another $5k in Corp taxes for my company, so I'm still way ahead, and its 74 degrees, Sunny & gorgeous here in the Free State if Florida today...so there's that.

Let the haters hate...I couldn't be happier here in the Free State of Florida!

By the looks of the traffic today, and all the out of state plates in front of me, our grocery store prices are not bothering anyone. They all eat out at Early Bird Special's anyways.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:37 PM

18,427 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Also, Publix had a near monoploy for decades, so they jacked up prices, which are still way up there now.

100%.....Publix is a rip off.....if the inflated prices are not a dead giveaway.....they sell it in a smaller identical package to try and fool you

I would say Publix is probably 100% responsible for the high prices

Old 02-07-2024, 01:45 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Okay let's be real here... I mainly shop at Sprouts and primarily get all organic foods, pasture-raised/free-range animal products, sockeye salmon, etc. etc. HEAVY on fresh produce/vegetables/fruits, and I indulge in frivolous products such as Perrier (or Liquid Death, because my son seems to prefer those for some reason) water and random mid-priced Pinot Grigio finds.
I highly doubt the average Floridian shops like this, let alone on a weekly basis. My WEEKLY average grocery bill does not comes close to $300. $300 is for weeks when I am running low on basic household items, spices, etc.

Anyway... I'm not sure why it would be surprising that Florida is at the higher end of the spectrum. We don't grow much of our own produce here, and it's not like the state is centrally-located or easily accessible from most parts of the country.
No insult intended, but spoken like someone who thinks milk comes from the store, or Sprouts grows their own...

Florida Agricultural Stats

Florida #1 in the country for crops grown in 2021:
Snap beans
Cukes
Bell Peppers
watermelon
Citrus
sugarcane

2nd:
Cabbage
sweet corn
tomatoes
avocados
Strawberries
Tangerines

3rd:
squash
peanuts

Agriculture accounts for 2M jobs, 17% of total Florida jobs, and 12% of GDP.

Florida is a big player.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:53 PM

18,427 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Florida Produces 3rd Most Fruits and Vegetables in U.S.

Total fruit & vegetable production: $2,759,462,000

https://www.southdadenewsleader.com/...1df500082.html

Old 02-07-2024, 02:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
What this shows is that you must consider the TOTAL cost of living when you move. Some consider taxes alone, forgetting that, in a low-tax State; housing, insurance, and groceries can be higher. Often enough ro negate the tax advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida