Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:13 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,089,599 times

Advertisements

Redneck 1/4 horse

Old 12-01-2006, 04:08 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Hey Cil, I don't mean to sound ugly, or anything, so I hope you won't take this wrong, but I just have to correct you a little bit. Your statement tells me that you are mixing up the "Stars and Bars" with the Confederate Battle Flag, which is an entirely different thing. The Confederate Battle Flag is the flag that most people are familiar with.
CelticLady
You were not ugly at all and I appreciate the correction. Thank you!
You want a good laugh? I learned the term Stars and Bars from the Neil Young album of that title (many years back) which had on it, yes, you guessed it, the Confederate Flag.
You're right, all flags will be used as all sorts of symbols. I've been here a year now and have met many, many good people. I know that not everyone around here is Larry the Cable Guy.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:46 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,113,269 times
Great history lesson Celtic Lady. If people just knew the origins of things before they degrade and insult and live judging only by stereotypes, this world would be a much better place. I know I'm guilty of judging quickly sometimes (although not usually and I like to avoid it) but the world isn't so bad when you're well informed.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:39 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,606,954 times
Macguy,
I was interested in your comment concerning the word, redneck, so I looked it up. You are correct.The term, redneck, does indeed have religious origins. The term was first noted in Scotland. The National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant, (Covenanters) signed documents to the effect that Scotland desired a Presbyterian Church Government, and rejected the Church of England. Many of these people signed the documents with their own blood, and many began wearing red cloths around their necks, to let people know where they stood. They were called "rednecks". Many of these folks migrated to Ireland, and America, in the 17th and 18th centuries. I always like learning new things, so thank you for bringing that to my attention.

As to the meaning given by Fl_TN_Nana, this is also correct. "Redneck" was used to describe farmers in the field, getting their necks sunburned. It eventually became used more in a derogatory manner, particularly in the South.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:05 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,606,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
CelticLady
You were not ugly at all and I appreciate the correction. Thank you!
You want a good laugh? I learned the term Stars and Bars from the Neil Young album of that title (many years back) which had on it, yes, you guessed it, the Confederate Flag.
You're right, all flags will be used as all sorts of symbols. I've been here a year now and have met many, many good people. I know that not everyone around here is Larry the Cable Guy.
Thank you, Cil. I was hoping you would take it in the way in which it was intended. I just wanted to straighten out that misconception. You're not the only person who has mixed the two flags up.

Ironically, on the History Channel, today, they have been showing something called, "The History of the Klan". One of the older short clips they ran, (it looked to be the twenties or thirties), showed that same thing, of the KKK using a great number of American flags, during their march. They were the only flags I could see in the whole gathering. It irritates me to no end, to see people like that using either the American flag, or the Confederate battle flag, to spread their hatred. Whether it was back in the twenties, or currently, it is a disgusting sight, (even worse, is to see the how the babies and little children are being brought up, to have such disdain for their fellow man, simply based on skin color). I believe the majority of the men who fought under the Confederate flag would be both dismayed and astonished, as to how their battle flag has been used since then. If only folks would take the time to educate themselves about controversial matters, perhaps both sides would learn something. They might not necessarily agree, but perhaps a little more toleration could be brought into the situation.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:09 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,081,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Ironically, on the History Channel, today, they have been showing something called, "The History of the Klan". One of the older short clips they ran, (it looked to be the twenties or thirties), showed that same thing, of the KKK using a great number of American flags, during their march. They were the only flags I could see in the whole gathering. It irritates me to no end, to see people like that using either the American flag, or the Confederate battle flag, to spread their hatred. Whether it was back in the twenties, or currently, it is a disgusting sight, (even worse, is to see the how the babies and little children are being brought up, to have such disdain for their fellow man, simply based on skin color). I believe the majority of the men who fought under the Confederate flag would be both dismayed and astonished, as to how their battle flag has been used since then. If only folks would take the time to educate themselves about controversial matters, perhaps both sides would learn something. They might not necessarily agree, but perhaps a little more toleration could be brought into the situation.
I thought of you when I flipped over to the History channel. Wasn't long till I saw that march and the many US Flags! I think it was in the 20's. And you are so right about education in controversial matters -- if people would only take the time to become educated in those matters! But there are some who will dig their heels in regardless and go on believing whatever they like and won't let something like "facts" stand in their way.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times
I seriously doubt that most rednecks would join the Klan. It's more fun to drink beer and watch TV! People display flags of all types, I see Cuban flags everywhere, but they only complain about the confederate battle flag? PLEASE!~

Old 12-02-2006, 08:28 AM

566 posts, read 2,052,080 times
Had to respond on your better half being a Cuban Cowboy...hee, hee...

Sure...why not?? I too love some country and when younger didn't mind looking at some handsome rugged cowboy's in their tight jeans . We have very good Cuban American friend (born in Miami from Cuban-Spanish parents) that lives in TN & he composes/sings country music for a living - did a duet song with Trisha Yearwood on one of his CD's. People are always intrigued on how can there be a Cuban cowboy that sings country music? I think it's funny how he always responds, "you know the spanish conquistadors brought horses here & if it weren't for them there would be no rodeo's or cowboys in the U.S." He also happens to be very white w/blue eyes and his kids are really blond, blue eyes too. Look at our California gal actress cameron Diaz whose also white, tall & ultra skinny - she's also Cuban.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times
Also remember that many Cubans were of Spanish or some other European ancestry before their ancestors came to that island. Most likely the darker skinned natives were already exterminated before Spain too possession of Cuba. My ancestry includes Spanish because that's who originally settled Florida from Europe. Cuban is not a race, it's a nation and a culture. In every culture, there are those who go in another direction. Hats off to those who really integrate into their new home!

Old 12-04-2006, 08:48 AM

566 posts, read 2,052,080 times
Exactly...Cubans are not a race - only a nation and culture that was evolving for centuries - even before Florida became a permanent part of the U.S. Even when there were wars going on here to claim Fl, Cuba had had rich European women strolling with their jewelry & parasols (umbrellas but were the sunblock creams of the times) & riding horse carriages w/white gloves/pearls thru Havana streets. It was like a smaller U.S. with many races & cultures. The native American were exterminated just like here & many thru small pox & measles, too - just like here & this place is only a measly little ole' 90 miles away - these guys would just go back & forth like getting a public bus to downtown Miami - it was all their turf.
In Cuba, there used to be black slavery and later the Chinese were contracted to their work. There are tons of white-Cubans (English, french, Spanish, Polish, etc, etc), Black-Cubans (from slavery days & some even left Fl in boats from here to there & some are from Haitian/or Jamaican ancestry that went in boats looking for work on the East of the island - lots of Chinese-Cubans, Jewish Cubans (they are lovingly called Jewbans & they themselves use their own label quite proudly, too - & definitely not demeaning like many Israeli Jews think when they first hear Jew-ban - Jewban's hold this private label quite dearly), Lebanese cubans, etc, etc. - just like here. But here they have become a race and have to mark a Hispanic box, which is really unbelievable to many and not just the Cubans. Odd isn't it?? Anyhow, it's just so sad what happened in Cuba of all places - a rich place that lacked nothing and equivalent monetarily to the U.S. with everything imaginable before Castro.
Anyway, I too am of Spanish ancestry (1 English in the mix, too) and am very, very white and my genes go back to the original Spanish that walked in Florida - even a count that had an Italian last name and later was changed to a Spanish last name (he is buried in Cuba in a big mausoleum w/lion heads on top), like Christopher Colombus (only an English translation) whom originally was from Italy and the Spanish call Cristobal Colon - so in reality I do have Italian in me, too. Sometimes, I wonder why I just love Italiano food so much - a food gene that evolved?? . Anyhow, I have a Spanish last name now and my middle name is English - talk about having a historical battle within me...whew!!!!!! But you know...what really rules the world is love and I'm living proof that 2 past enemies/3 cultures can become one. What am I really? Italian? Spanish? English? or Cuban cause Italian/Spanish happened to stroll thru Cuba before boundaries were established and had a normal human function quickie? Though, I've never even been or even seen Cuba in my life. Well, I feel in my inner core that I am part of the evolution of Florida and a proud U.S. citizen at that ....and yesss........one that truly loves to wave that wonderful ole' red, white & blue flag!!!!!!

Last edited by lulu; 12-04-2006 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida