Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 05:00 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
So you're okay with California shipping THEIR homeless here to Florida, right? I mean if it's good for us to do, it's good for them to do too.
California wants homeless, Florida doesn't. So why would California send homeless here? Just like NY used to say they want illegals, so they got sent illegals. If one state doesn't want something and another state wants that something, then why not give it to them? It's a win win situation if the other state is actually being genuine with their words and not full of s*** to artificially look good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 03:39 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
California wants homeless, Florida doesn't. So why would California send homeless here? Just like NY used to say they want illegals, so they got sent illegals. If one state doesn't want something and another state wants that something, then why not give it to them? It's a win win situation if the other state is actually being genuine with their words and not full of s*** to artificially look good.
This is one of the most stupid things I've read on here. Nobody wants homeless.

Old 03-09-2024, 05:08 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
On the other hand, the United States accepted a particular gift from France back in the 1880's, and designated the gift as a National Monument. In 1903, a poem by Emma Lazarus was set in a bronze plaque and placed at the base of the gift:

Quote:
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
So there's a little bit of precedence supporting the idea that homeless, poor, rejected, immigrants, and exiled persons are all intended to be made welcome here in this country.

Old 03-09-2024, 07:45 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
In which case, we are all paying for their housing, food, and living expenses, but if that’s what you prefer your taxes go toward….
As someone who is LGBTQ I could stomp my feet in indignation that my taxes go toward educating your children, but that's not what good citizenship is all about. Perhaps consider revisiting that..

Old 03-10-2024, 07:25 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As someone who is LGBTQ I could stomp my feet in indignation that my taxes go toward educating your children, but that's not what good citizenship is all about. Perhaps consider revisiting that..
Apples and oranges. Taxpayers, whether or not they have children, supporting public education could be considered an investment in the future of all. The children who are educated using taxpayer dollars become tomorrow's workers, ie, healthcare professionals, tradespeople, bankers, service workers, utility company workers, etc etc, and their work benefits all of us, whether we have children or not.

While I'd hope that at least some of that tax money we spend on programs that help the homeless might help some of them with a leg up to get out of that situation, and help them towards becoming productive citizens once more, considering the scope of the problem and the difficulty in motivating those who can't/won't be motivated to help themselves, ie, the drug addicts, mentally ill, those who won't follow basic rules to get along with others, I'd be hard pressed to find the benefits of throwing taxpayer money just to support the lifestyles of the homeless.

Old 03-10-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Apples and oranges. Taxpayers, whether or not they have children, supporting public education could be considered an investment in the future of all. The children who are educated using taxpayer dollars become tomorrow's workers, ie, healthcare professionals, tradespeople, bankers, service workers, utility company workers, etc etc, and their work benefits all of us, whether we have children or not.

While I'd hope that at least some of that tax money we spend on programs that help the homeless might help some of them with a leg up to get out of that situation, and help them towards becoming productive citizens once more, considering the scope of the problem and the difficulty in motivating those who can't/won't be motivated to help themselves, ie, the drug addicts, mentally ill, those who won't follow basic rules to get along with others, I'd be hard pressed to find the benefits of throwing taxpayer money just to support the lifestyles of the homeless.
Taxpayers supporting the improvement of life for homeless, mentally ill, drug addicts, victims of trauma, children of hardships - will cost less in the long run because it has a better chance of bringing these kinds of homeless people out of homelessness and into becoming productive members of society, employees, employers, taxpayers, homeowners, individuals that spend money at stores which keeps people employed. As opposed to letting them just be homeless (somewhere else of course) living off taxpayer money, welfare, section 8 housing, medicaid, food stamps, and so on.

The first step after convincing them to participate, is getting them the absolute minimum basics: nutritious food, potable water, clothing, shelter, and a place they can safely cleanse themselves.

While they're getting clean, you can implement programs for self-improvement and work on their self-esteem, get them sober and optimistic about their future, and teach them skills they might not have, or have forgotten about, with regards to becoming productive members of society.

Old 03-10-2024, 08:36 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
San Francisco allows homeless open air drug markets, public drug and alcohol intoxication, free needles and no arrest policy sites… all of this keeps homeless, homeless.

Old 03-10-2024, 10:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
San Francisco allows homeless open air drug markets, public drug and alcohol intoxication, free needles and no arrest policy sites… all of this keeps homeless, homeless.
You forgot to mention they also seem to allow public defecating and urinating in the streets. I couldn't believe it when I found out SF actually has feces maps - what is WRONG with these people? This certainly isn't the right approach......

Old 03-10-2024, 10:44 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Seems it would. You know social workers, others who work with substance abusers have a term for those free needle, free other IV drug supplies, and other measures that look to allow people so inclined to continue addictive or other behaviors. It's called "harm reduction" or "harm mitigation". Their rationale, it would seem, is to mitigate the number of infectious diseases associated with the use of unclean needles, sharing IV drug supplies, unprotected sex involving people with HIV or other STDs, or bloodborne diseases, and pointers for minimizing infectious disease risk when injecting drugs. To this end they also encourage healthcare providers to train and be accessible ( for free, in some cases), be understanding and sympathetic to addicts to treat their illnesses, and of course money money money to fund all this. They really push the harm mitigation measures though. I'm not sure how successful those measures are towards curbing addiction, or homelessness in the long run, though.

I got this information from a book I read, "The Opioid Epidemic and Infectious Disease". I wasn't familiar with the information presented in the book, was, to put it mildly, flabbergasted at the liberal policies ( such as harm mitigation) and what looked like permissive, even encouraging perspectives towards the addictive behaviours ( for lack of a better way to put it) and looked around online to see if this was the prevailing perspective towards drug addiction among those who work with it, and it seemed to be that it was. Maybe it's just facing the realities of the drug addicted on their part, and going from there. I sure couldn't work in that field.

Old 03-10-2024, 12:14 PM

"Allow" is not the same as "want." The only people who "want" homeless people, are people who "want" other people to be homeless.

No one wants that. But we're stuck with people who are homeless, whether we want them or not. Some areas have more than others, and some places - like California, tried to do the right thing and it backfired on them in spades. So now they're stuck with an even worse problem than they started with, and have to do damage control.

That doesn't mean homeless people should be vilified and arrested just for being homeless. Being homeless shouldn't be a crime. It should be a condition, with many different causes, and a variety of treatments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida