Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 06:26 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
The political affiliation of the 2 women mentioned in the article was never mentioned lol. That a serious clickbait lie title thread. Shameful.
of course, you can find 6 liberals that love Florida....and cancel this entire hit piece off LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 06:27 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
The political affiliation of the 2 women mentioned in the article was never mentioned lol. That a serious clickbait lie title thread. Shameful.
They are Republicans, like the rest of the people in the article; too bad you don't know how to do a voter registration search.

It's not clickbait; these are REAL PEOPLE who are conservatives and finding that Florida is too expensive and too politically hostile.

The article has now been syndicated by the Daily Mail!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-promoted.html

Old 04-01-2024, 06:37 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Typical cherry-picking of data to try to justify your complaining. Why not quote the entire headline from your link? "High homeowners insurance rates scaring away Florida homebuyers, other states face the same issue"

"South and Midwest hit with highest rates"

"Certain states have felt these rising premiums more than others. While Florida tops the list, Oklahoma residents have seen their annual rates increase 24% to $4,782, on average. Mississippi follows close behind with an average yearly premium of $4,017, up 23% from the previous year. Texas has also seen an increase in claims due to dangerous weather with an average premium of $3,969, up 18% annually."

My insurance rate of a little over $3,000 per year is considerably LOWER than the rates for the average house in Oklahoma, Mississippi, and Texas and I'm confident that my property is worth more than the average house in OK, MS, and probably TX also.

Looks like you're going to have to try harder to sell your crying to others because your current attempt isn't working out so well. Darn those pesky FACTS!

And, per your Loxahatchee example, they conveniently left out the market value of that home, but they did say ""All of Palm Beach County is pretty much in what they call a high-hazard, wind-borne debris region," Robert Norberg of Arden Insurance in Lantana said. Oh, and Palm Beach County isn't exactly the slums of Florida. Far from it.

Here's some pesky facts for you. My brother's homeowners insurance premium is $800 a year in Bondurant, Iowa; he lives in a 5,000 sq foot mansion, built 2023! I won't even mention what he pays for car insurance on his new Rivian because it might make you cry.

Some magazine just named Iowa the No. 1 state for retirees. Gee wonder why! If it wasn't for my business, my rentals and my family members' caregiving obligations, I'd move to Iowa stat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioVtKMb28YI

Last edited by sinatras; 04-01-2024 at 06:48 AM..

Old 04-01-2024, 06:44 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
What exactly is wrong with "wokeism"? The term evolved to describe those who were "awake" to the injustices suffered by others, which have been many? What is wrong with that? Is it somehow better not to be "woke"?
There's nothing wrong with being aware or "woke" to discrimination or prejudice. However, current practice by many on the left is to advocate for REVERSE DISCRIMINATION as some kind of remedy and to stifle words or actions that the left disagree with.

Last edited by Chas863; 04-01-2024 at 07:02 AM..

Old 04-01-2024, 07:00 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Republicans fleeing Florida due to costs, political culture

That is the OP's propaganda title and a bald faced lie.

The article is actually titled

They came for Florida's sun and sand. They got soaring costs and a culture war.'

The article clearly states it is about "long time Floridians and recent transplants". The OP changed the title for his own purposes.

Only 2 people in the article metion party affiliation. One is a centrist Republican, not a conservative. The other says she switched from Republican to Democrat.

The OP intentionally lied to spin the meaning of the article, knowing most people won't bother reading it. I don't appreciate that. The OP is not trustworthy.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 04-01-2024 at 07:10 AM..

Old 04-01-2024, 07:05 AM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
"Republicans fleeing Florida?" LOL. It's just the opposite. Republican are FLOCKING to Florida, and a lot of the smarter Democrats too.

I'm afraid that your April Fool's joke is a day too early.

NBC is not a credible source anymore.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:06 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
NBC is not a credible source anymore.
It is not even NBC. The OP changed the title to make it sound like Republicans are leaving Florida. The NBC article makes no such claim. The article only mentions reasons why Floridians generally are leaving.

It is the OP who is not a credible source for claiming the article is specific to Republicans.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:06 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Republicans fleeing Florida due to costs, political culture

That is the OP's propaganda title and a bald faced lie.

The article is actually titled

They came for Florida's sun and sand. They got soaring costs and a culture war.

Only 2 people in the article metion party affiliation. One is a centrist Republican, not a conservative. The other says she switched from Republican to Democrat.

The OP intetinally lied to spin the meaning of the article, knowing most people won't bother reading it. I don't appreciate that. The OP is not trustworthy.
Sadly, man thread titles are a lie. Either the OP didn't bother to read the article they use in support, or they read it and didn't understand.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:09 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
"Halfbacks" is what they are sometimes called in North Carolina.

They moved to Florida, but after a few years, move half way back home -- to North Carolina.

This has been going on for years.

Our new neighbors are from Florida. They said it was just crazy there and they wanted a more peaceful existence.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:10 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I am a native Floridian, born and raised, so yes I've heard of hurricanes. Are you saying that insurance premiums are up due to hurricanes? Hurricanes are actually down in frequency in Fla.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastdec.shtml

Homeowners insurance in Florida has NEVER been as high as it is now as a percentage of income.

So, through all of those years of hurricanes I have gone through in Florida, in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2010s, the ratio of average homeowners' insurance expenditures to median household income was never above 1%

Today that ratio is above 5% in Florida.

What has changed?

Skyrocketing fraudulent insurance claims and price-gouging from the insurers.

Which DeSantis is doing NOTHING about.

Let me repeat for those in the back: Homeowners insurance in Florida has NEVER been as high as it is now as a percentage of income.
Homeowner's insurance has absolutely nothing to do with INCOME!

What part of that do you not understand?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida