Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:46 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times

Advertisements

Well i'm glad i had the opportunity to live in another state other than NH so i can see what it's like living in other parts of the country. I don't regret it at all but there's nothing like having family around. If my family would move to FL, i'd be happy to stay but since i'm the only one who left and none of them are in the position to be moving anytime, i guess i have to go back.

MIAKELLY: where in FL do you plan to relocate to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 03:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post
Wow, lots of people would rather be up North. I think NH is absolutely beautiful but I truly hate the winter. I could tolerate winter prior to having kids, but now with little kids, I find the winters very isolating and difficult and kind of depressing.

Not much to do with little ones without really bundling them up, and even then, there really isn't that much to do.
If we're lucky, we get maybe 1/2 hour outside here and there in the winter but it's a process getting the snowsuits, boots, mittens, then someone has to pee.....then someone's mitten falls off....then someone eats the yellow snow.....lol.

Otherwise, we end up going to the Mall or the same 2 kids museums all winter......it gets old quick. My kids are 18 months and 4 so we aren't into the Winter sports yet and it's not like they can go outside and play by themselves either. This really has been the hardest part for me is getting through the long Winters (I'm a stay at home Mom). Again, I could tolerate Winter when I worked and didn't have little ones to keep entertained.

I try to get them out as much as possible, but when the nice weather gets here, it feels like heaven. We can go out and play all day, go to the parks, zoo, beaches etc. It has been super hot & humid here the past few days and I LOVE it!!!

I can certainly see why people love NH, believe me it is gorgeous, but after 34 years of Winters, I've had it. That is the only thing I don't like about NH. Especially this past Winter, it was truly awful.

I hope we love Florida! I am really looking forward to getting there and making the best of it. I hope I won't be one of those people that wants to come back to NH. But I guess you never know until you try right?
I hear ya on the winter coats, etc. There HAS to be an easier way to put on kiddie mittens. Luckily, we had a enclosed patio that is off the garage of all things that basically consituted "outside" for my toddler during winter.

The thing you may run into is that in the dead of summer in FL which is numerous weeks of extreme heat, it's the same situation as you had with NH winters. Not safe to take a toddler out in 100 degrees.

Guess also a lot depends where on Fl you will be. We were in SWFL & it was in the high 90s from May-Oct. I am also a SAHM & on the days the heat index was over 100 I seriously questioned my sanity after numerous toddler meltdowns b/c he could not go outside or stay in the pool for an entire day!

That being said, your little ones are getting older & every year will get easier in terms of their "playing independence". Luckily, they are both walking (or running )

We reached 94 today & should be back in the low 80s by Wed. The hot weather is nice in spurts as is the cold weather IMO & my family & I need the four seasons.

Best of luck & hope it all turns out great for your family.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:40 PM

216 posts, read 913,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Well i'm glad i had the opportunity to live in another state other than NH so i can see what it's like living in other parts of the country. I don't regret it at all but there's nothing like having family around. If my family would move to FL, i'd be happy to stay but since i'm the only one who left and none of them are in the position to be moving anytime, i guess i have to go back.

MIAKELLY: where in FL do you plan to relocate to?
Well your reason for moving back is definitely important! Your coming back at such a nice time. The Summer/Fall is so nice up here. Good luck with your move.

We are going to Orlando. It was going to be Melbourne, or Orlando and Orlando turned out to be the best opportunity.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:45 PM

216 posts, read 913,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I hear ya on the winter coats, etc. There HAS to be an easier way to put on kiddie mittens. Luckily, we had a enclosed patio that is off the garage of all things that basically consituted "outside" for my toddler during winter.

The thing you may run into is that in the dead of summer in FL which is numerous weeks of extreme heat, it's the same situation as you had with NH winters. Not safe to take a toddler out in 100 degrees.

Guess also a lot depends where on Fl you will be. We were in SWFL & it was in the high 90s from May-Oct. I am also a SAHM & on the days the heat index was over 100 I seriously questioned my sanity after numerous toddler meltdowns b/c he could not go outside or stay in the pool for an entire day!

That being said, your little ones are getting older & every year will get easier in terms of their "playing independence". Luckily, they are both walking (or running )

We reached 94 today & should be back in the low 80s by Wed. The hot weather is nice in spurts as is the cold weather IMO & my family & I need the four seasons.

Best of luck & hope it all turns out great for your family.
I guess it's really 6 of one, a half dozen of the other. Depends on which you tolerate better.....extreme heat or extreme cold. I guess I'll find out soon enough

The 'four seasons' thing does scare me a little.....I don't 'think' I'll miss them but it seems like everyone that moves from a 4 seasons area, really misses them. It's hard to find someone who doesn't mention this.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:19 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
People REALLY and I mean REALLY exaggerate about the summer here. Sure, it gets hot, but I'm a native, I was a toddler here, it usually doesn't get much over 92 degrees, and there are always nice showers to break it up. I would ANY DAY rather deal with that than those ungodly winters up north. It's nice here, there is nothing "unsafe" about a toddler playing outdoors here - they will love it. All you need is to let them splash in some water. Personally, I love Florida weather.

I hate "bundling up" and I can't imagine having to do that to some toddlers.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:43 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
People REALLY and I mean REALLY exaggerate about the summer here. Sure, it gets hot, but I'm a native, I was a toddler here, it usually doesn't get much over 92 degrees, and there are always nice showers to break it up..
It doesn't get any hotter hear than up north, but up north the summer lasts a couple of months and there are not that many really hot days. Here the summer goes from May to Novemebr and the heat is unrelenting.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:43 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
Yeah but the much more above 92 degrees seems to last forever. I long for a cool refreshing air when fall or winter comes around. To me, the warm sticky air is like the long dreary cold up north. It seems to last forever.

Orlando or anywhere inland tend to get a little higher temps because the sea breezes don't reach the center of the state.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
People REALLY and I mean REALLY exaggerate about the summer here. Sure, it gets hot, but I'm a native, I was a toddler here, it usually doesn't get much over 92 degrees, and there are always nice showers to break it up. I would ANY DAY rather deal with that than those ungodly winters up north. It's nice here, there is nothing "unsafe" about a toddler playing outdoors here - they will love it. All you need is to let them splash in some water. Personally, I love Florida weather.

I hate "bundling up" and I can't imagine having to do that to some toddlers.
I really respect your posts & don't want to get in a weather pissing match, but there were many, many days above 92 June-Oct of 07 in Punta Gorda & Fort Myers. It was 96 there yesterday. Elsewhere in FL, I cannot say, b/c I did not live there.
It's unsafe to take toddlers out once the air temp reaches a certain level OR drops to a certain level. If the heat index is 104, you shouldn't have your 2yr old outside in it & they can only be in water for so long for beyond obvious reasons. You can take them out in small increments but it's the reeling them back in once they get that "outside freedom" that can be a challenge. Once kids get in the kinder & above stage, it gets easier b/c they usually can swim, ride bikes, play tball, etc. 4 & below can be challenging in the best of weather situations b/c they are so dependent on a parent. Start to add 2 or more below age 4 (which I have) and, well, it's just a challenge at times, especially when you have a child who loves the outdoors.

Like I said, you are really decent with your postings, but this one I have to politely disagree with.

And as a native, you are very use to it b/c you grew up in it. You know no difference. May take those from different states awhile longer to assimilate.

Last edited by 121804; 06-08-2008 at 05:41 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,906 times
I am not moving from so much up north as I am from Philadelphia. The weather yesterday and today was 97. You can barely breathe. My husband who is in the new home in Odessa says it was a warm and sunny 85. So my final move to Odessa will be on the 16th of this month and I am looking forward to those long summers that last well into November, followed by a warm winter and spring. I have spent enough time in the new home to know that I love it already. You have to have the courage to imagine having a different life and then taking the plunge! Good luck to you.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post
I guess it's really 6 of one, a half dozen of the other. Depends on which you tolerate better.....extreme heat or extreme cold. I guess I'll find out soon enough

The 'four seasons' thing does scare me a little.....I don't 'think' I'll miss them but it seems like everyone that moves from a 4 seasons area, really misses them. It's hard to find someone who doesn't mention this.
You'll miss fall. Just be prepared. But FL is very, very nice in Feb/Mar.

If we could, we'd live there those two months & then back home the rest of the time.

Again, good luck. It's worth the adventure if anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida