Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:18 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,266 times

Advertisements

I have traveled the east coast from here to Ct and back and it's no different anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 06:12 AM

48 posts, read 177,752 times
I've traveled in all the states, and the left lane phenomenon is consistent. At one level, it is courteous to yield to anyone who wants to go faster than you--irrespective of how fast you are going--or the law. If you are going 80 MPH in the left hand lane on Atlanta's perimeter highway (which is typical) and someone behind you want to do 90 MPH--move over.

The left lane phenomenon is personality driven; there are many people who express their hostility and anger by leading a parade--going about 10 MPH slower than others want to go. They refuse to move; when you pass them, they are usually on the cell phone--unmoved by the irritated stares of those who can get past them.

Oldsters tend to be unconscious of others; they are pretty much performing at the limits of their capability just keeping the car in the lane. Florida has a very large population of older drivers, so it is common for the interstate to be blocked and backed up because of their slow driving.

Some people think it is their job to police the highways; they drive the speed limit in the left hand lane and feel good about curtailing speeders. They took civics class a little too seriously.

In Atlanta, most most of the accidents and road rage shootings are not caused by speeders; they are caused by the collateral effects of slow drivers and poor drivers that don't signal when they switch lanes. We have people on the roads in Atlanta from many nations. They often drive much too slow and create a hazard.

We should all have bumper stickers that say, "Slower Traffic Please Move to the Right Hand Lanes."

Last edited by Everett; 06-15-2008 at 07:34 AM..

Old 06-15-2008, 07:36 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Driving in the left lane is for one particular purpose. The purpose of that particular lane is to move people faster than the other lanes to its right. It is not designed for peoples personalities problems. Driving in the left lane watching cars pass you on the right is definitely personality driven, and is dangerous. A ticket should be issued to that left lane driver for obstructing traffic. I have seen this type of driving in many states its not just Florida. What I have noticed though, I saw this left lane slow driving constantly in Florida, and driving along the gulf coast of Alabama and Mississippi.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:19 AM

354 posts, read 1,273,307 times
I have driven the same east coast route many times and I beg to differ. Fla. is different. One reason I think it is different is that it is a melting pot of different driving styles. The older age factors into that equation but I have seen all types stuck in the left lane.

I'm not asking for law enforcement (because it will NEVER happen). I do think public assistance ads would help.

Now, I hear in Europe it's a cardinal sin to clog the left lane.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:12 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,227 times
Unexplainably, some people just don't know. I tell anyone I ride with when they do it and most don't know. If you are not on someones ass, or passing someone else, you shouldn't be in the left lane. If someone comes up on your, just get out of the way. If you are the 'Im doing my part to make YOU do 65 mph' clowns, fine. Let me by and Ill just kill myself instead of taking you out with me. And so far I have managed not to kill myself. I want to mow down people that strafe another clown doing 65 on a two lane highway with dozens of cars piling up behind them. In this case, there is no excuse for being so stupid you dont realize you are blocking everyone. Sometimes they are the self proclaimed 'anti destination league', sometimes they just dont care. The dont realize they are the ones causing people do do unsafe things. If they were out of the way traffic would flow smoother, and safer.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:22 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,511 times
People are definitely territorial by nature. I think they DO know that the left lane is for passing but they feel since they've been comfortably traveling on that lane, they have no reason to move over when a faster driver comes up behind them. The driving 65 mph in the left lane is a territorial issue for some people.

I admit to tailgaiting especially when I've given this person the opportunity to move over several miles ago. I REFUSE to angrily pass on the right because the idiot in front of me is being territorial. I will not put myself in danger, nor will I endanger the drivers to the right of me.

That being said- let me take this opportunity to remind people of the MOVE OVER law. You can save a life or two!! Being that I am related to someone in law enforcement- I get to hear stories of the 'uninformed' and 'stupid' every day.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 AM

765 posts, read 2,637,951 times
In some states, such as New Jersey, it is illegal to stay in the left lane, except to pass. A friend of mine got a ticket for this.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:05 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
I see this crap in tampa on a daily basis!

People usually think I am going to slow down so instead of moving over they say oh this person is not going to hit me. I have seen many near accidents because tools wait until I am on their bumper to swerve into the other lane almost hitting cars.

I also hate those who decide not to move over so I end up moving into the right lane and sometimes the far right lane speeding up trying to get into the left I have almost caused accidents and been in them that way.

I move over for people that start riding my bumper. But instead of speeding up like I usually do so the person can get back over if they wish people decide to take their sweet time. Then they get ticked when I move back into the lane. I can only stay in the right lane for so long.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:20 AM

170 posts, read 753,421 times
[quote=Jimrob1;4110102]Driving in the left lane is for one particular purpose. The purpose of that particular lane is to move people faster than the other lanes to its right. It is not designed for peoples personalities problems. Driving in the left lane watching cars pass you on the right is definitely personality driven, and is dangerous. A ticket should be issued to that left lane driver for obstructing traffic.QUOTE]

but if that peron is going at the speed limit they are not obstructing the trafic, they are only obstructing speeders which kill

Old 06-15-2008, 02:22 PM

48 posts, read 177,752 times
[quote=rich renter;4111878]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Driving in the left lane is for one particular purpose. The purpose of that particular lane is to move people faster than the other lanes to its right. It is not designed for peoples personalities problems. Driving in the left lane watching cars pass you on the right is definitely personality driven, and is dangerous. A ticket should be issued to that left lane driver for obstructing traffic.QUOTE]

but if that peron is going at the speed limit they are not obstructing the trafic, they are only obstructing speeders which kill
I hate to be the bearer of contradictory tidings, but your response reflects the perspective of those who are causing the problem. Most people do at least 10 MPH over the speed limit if they can and many do 15 or 20 MPH over.

Anyone doing the speed limit in the left hand lane is creating emotional chaos. Speed does not kill. Google search your information. They have been doing 150 MPH on the autobahn in Germany for decades; most of the deaths are due to other causes.

I know it is easy to default to the governments anti-speeding campaign, but most of us are so antagonized by slow, erratic drivers that we do stupid things to get around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida