Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 10,293 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Northeast Florida within the next month, and I am so confused as to where to start looking for a place to live. I have found the list of the top Florida school districts. I am planning on finding a temporary place and then before a year's up to buy a house, but I would definitely like to get at least the county right for the temp move so that the kids would not have to change schools when we find the permanent house. My husband's job will be in Live oak, and I don't see anything there even to rent, let alone I see on the school list that the rating is a "C". I have an upcoming 11th grader, 7th grader, and 4th grader. We will not mind a reasonable commute(I see that Alachua county has an "A" rating for schools. But especially with gas prices, I am trying to be realistic. We can deal with land, but we don't want to be in the boondocks per say. We also don't want to be in an urban environment either, even though 20-30 minutes away wouldn't be bad. I have looked at the counties of taylor, Lafayette, Dixie, Gilchrist, Union, and Alachua. I don't want to kid myself, but I am thinking that maybe Alachua will be too far. I also thought about High Springs in Alachua which is at the tip of the county, but I cannot find any information on these places, nor can I find any houses for sale. We are relocating froma wonderful school district in Oconee County, Georgia. Definitely need good schools, affordable housing(around $200,000), and not stuck in the middle of nowhere(my 11th grader is already having a bad enought time at the thought of moving). Please help and give me some suggestions !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 04:12 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,947,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki55 View Post
We are relocating to Northeast Florida within the next month, and I am so confused as to where to start looking for a place to live. I have found the list of the top Florida school districts. I am planning on finding a temporary place and then before a year's up to buy a house, but I would definitely like to get at least the county right for the temp move so that the kids would not have to change schools when we find the permanent house. My husband's job will be in Live oak, and I don't see anything there even to rent, let alone I see on the school list that the rating is a "C". I have an upcoming 11th grader, 7th grader, and 4th grader. We will not mind a reasonable commute(I see that Alachua county has an "A" rating for schools. But especially with gas prices, I am trying to be realistic. We can deal with land, but we don't want to be in the boondocks per say. We also don't want to be in an urban environment either, even though 20-30 minutes away wouldn't be bad. I have looked at the counties of taylor, Lafayette, Dixie, Gilchrist, Union, and Alachua. I don't want to kid myself, but I am thinking that maybe Alachua will be too far. I also thought about High Springs in Alachua which is at the tip of the county, but I cannot find any information on these places, nor can I find any houses for sale. We are relocating froma wonderful school district in Oconee County, Georgia. Definitely need good schools, affordable housing(around $200,000), and not stuck in the middle of nowhere(my 11th grader is already having a bad enought time at the thought of moving). Please help and give me some suggestions !!!!
you may have better luck using the general fla forum, none of these places are part of the JAX area

Old 06-18-2008, 04:37 PM

Thanks. I didn't think about that option.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:09 PM

147 posts, read 557,924 times
If you can manage to get your children in an Alachua County school I believe you'll be MUCH happier then if they're going to school in Taylor, Lafayette, Dixie, Gilchrist or Union. In Alachua County public education is top notch in part due to the U of F being in Gainesville. Welcome to Florida and good luck!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:36 PM

Thanks so much. but, any idea how far Alachua county is from Live Oak?

Old 06-20-2008, 03:48 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,820,237 times
According to mapquest it's just over 50 miles- and most of that is interstate driving.

Lake City is about 20 miles from Live Oak. I'm not sure what county that is or how the schools are but it's a more populated area than the others.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:40 AM

495 posts, read 2,324,216 times
Go to Realtor.com for tons of listings of homes for sale.

Rent and get to know the area before you buy.

There are lots of good deals out there when you do decide to buy.

Lake City is growing fast. More local economy than Live Oak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida