Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 03:23 PM

96 posts, read 736,431 times

Advertisements

Sunrico90: Thanks for the link. I just scanned the music/entertainment section I found on it. Anyplace that features a band called Nik Flagstar and his Dirty Mangy Dogs is OK with me!

Yeah, I'm thinking I could live there . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 PM

11 posts, read 38,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
I'm not 100% sure of what you are driving at with the above statement. And I certainly don't want to get into a huge discussion about what is or isn't an "absolute moral law," as you put it. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds to me like some sort of a personal religious conviction, more than anything else that I can think of. For what it is worth, I'm not religious at all - I'm an atheist -but I consider myself to be a highly moral person).

I don't like "political correctness" from anywhere, be it on the left or on the right. In fact, I don't like politics much at all! I'm not here to debate morality or politics or to challenge anyone's personal beliefs. I'm just hoping to get an informal poll as to what I can expect from the community.

I think that my use of the terms "liberal" and "conservative" may have been poor choices as both have a rather knee-jerk political connotation. My intention in using those words was geared toward attitudes, and not politics. (If I could think of better words, I would use them instead!).

Let me try to clarify the intention of my post again: I'm really just trying to determine whether or not I can expect to find people living in the Emerald Coast area who celebrate diversity, who are tolerant of lifestyles that may be a bit different than their own, such as artists, free-thinkers, those with a bohemian slant, etc., etc.

I know from past experience that I can do that and am hoping that I can find like-minded people there.

[Edited by me to add clarification]
I had to pop in here because I think you may have gotten some misinformation about the area being the "panhandle". That's a generalization which is not applicable to the 12 mile stretch of beach between Destin and Panama City Beach. I live on 30A as does 2 bohemians. We are both artists. The area contains the largest number of "free-thinkers" that I ever seen short of maybe San Francisco or Amsterdam. The people on the stretch of beach known as 30A are highly educated, financially comfortable free spirits who love diversity. We have an artist colony at Seaside, an openly gay population and we all party together. We're a small but strong, diverse and unified community where people are free to be who they are. If you come to scenic hwy 30A, you won't want to go home

Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Tallahassee, only 20 miles from the coast.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork on the Ocean View Post
I had to pop in here because I think you may have gotten some misinformation about the area being the "panhandle". That's a generalization which is not applicable to the 12 mile stretch of beach between Destin and Panama City Beach. I live on 30A as does 2 bohemians. We are both artists. The area contains the largest number of "free-thinkers" that I ever seen short of maybe San Francisco or Amsterdam. The people on the stretch of beach known as 30A are highly educated, financially comfortable free spirits who love diversity. We have an artist colony at Seaside, an openly gay population and we all party together. We're a small but strong, diverse and unified community where people are free to be who they are. If you come to scenic hwy 30A, you won't want to go home
Thanks for your input. It really helps. (And I loved your comparison of the 30A area to San Fran and Amsterdam, two places that we both have visited and liked).

I have been steadily researching areas of Florida and I seem to have narrowed my choices down to either the 30A area or St. Petersburg. (We both prefer the Gulf Coast over the East Coast of Florida).

One of the biggest factors for my wife and I will be employment and the possibility of having to commute will always be there (even though we are both admin/writer/editor types and could possibly work from home via telecommuting, something that we are currently seeking to get more heavily involved in).

Again, thanks. It is nice to hear that art is alive and well where you live.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Your answers to my post were a big help, and I appreciate the links that you provided.

What about the "liberal/progressive" part of my questions? I'm a pretty liberal person (I live in Seattle, Washington) and am trying to avoid living in an overly-conservative area. I can mix with anyone of any stripe, but have a very low tolerance for overly-conservative people.

Thanks again.
You may find that in Tallahassee, but it is a little "blue" island in a lake of red, electorally speaking.

My experience in this area is that people are not overly keen to shove their politics in your face anyway.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your input. It really helps. (And I loved your comparison of the 30A area to San Fran and Amsterdam, two places that we both have visited and liked).

I have been steadily researching areas of Florida and I seem to have narrowed my choices down to either the 30A area or St. Petersburg. (We both prefer the Gulf Coast over the East Coast of Florida).

One of the biggest factors for my wife and I will be employment and the possibility of having to commute will always be there (even though we are both admin/writer/editor types and could possibly work from home via telecommuting, something that we are currently seeking to get more heavily involved in).

Again, thanks. It is nice to hear that art is alive and well where you live.
It's funny that you've narrowed to those 2 places. I grew up in Clearwater and still own property in Tampa Bay that my parents live in. Regarding quality of life, I don't think they can compare. St Petersburg has lots of cool people but they are all so spread out that their influence is not quite the same. For inspiration, I feel that you will definitely prefer 30A. The beaches are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Very white sand and bright turquoise bands across the water. You can actually see your feet. Negligible traffic compared to St Pete and the beaches remained relatively unspoiled. The coastal dune lakes are gorgeous to sit by or kayak in. We are getting more tourists but the low density housing doesn't accomodate as many as a community that allows high rise condos. Also there are about 5 or 6 connecting roads to our little stretch of beach so traffic is minimal. The new urbanistic design of the area encourages walking to everything and we have a bicycle path connecting all of the villages so vehicular traffic is kept to a minimum. In winter, the tourists are gone and it's all ours again. St Pete can't compare in any of these areas. Perhaps Sanibel.

Now the downside. Live Theater, concerts etc are sorely lacking. We do have several community theaters and many free concerts and outdoor movies throughout season. We have wine festivals, telluride film festival, various other boating, art, charity events. What we don't have is a good venue for large shows so that's a drive to Pensacola, Tallahassee or even Atlanta. 30A doesn't have any chain stores (except starbucks lol) so you can't hop to the store in 5 minutes. The opening of Pier Park has brought an array of shopping and dining much closer to us.

St Pete - the crime is higher but it is definitely metropolitan. Riding your bicycle is taking your life into your hands. The beaches are horrendously crowded and growth planning is nil. If I had stayed there, I thought I might get a condo downtown. It's changed a lot and there's a lot of activity within walking distance. Throughout the holidays, there's so many things to do which is cool. If you need to find work with a company, this would probably be the best place. We don't have a lot of business on 30A and don't really want it. If you can telecommute, then no problem. My sister and her hubby just moved here from Tampa bay and she works from home. They came for the first time over Christmas, put their home on the market and picked up and were moved by end of March. My mom is also in love with it and wanting to move here as soon as I can set up housing arrangements for them.

Bottom line, if you want a small community where everyone knows each other which is somewhat isolated from the stresses of big cities - 30A is your place. This is peace.

If you like a lot of action, don't mind not seeing the stars at night, honking horns and all the stuff that comes with bigger cities, St Pete has some great boating and a wide variety of activities. I love to visit, it's great stimulation.

Go to both places, see what you think and email me when you come to 30A and give you the scoop on where to go and introduce you to some cool people if they're around.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork on the Ocean View Post
Go to both places, see what you think and email me when you come to 30A and give you the scoop on where to go and introduce you to some cool people if they're around.
That is a most kind offer and if/when we decide to come to 30A, we'll definitely send you an email.

We are still in the early planning stages with our "Florida research," so chances are we will not be visiting the area anytime soon. But visiting is most definitely part of the plan.

I fell in love with the 30A beaches and areas the moment I saw photos. And I've been to St. Pete a number of times. As far as the choice between 30A and St. Pete, being able to telecommute will be a major factor in our decision.

Thanks,

Last edited by Sailor Curt; 07-09-2008 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Correct spelling

Old 07-09-2008, 04:03 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
This are the counties that are part of the Northwest Florida League of Cities

[Municipal Members | Northwest Florida League of Cities

and the link to the cities: Member Cities | Northwest Florida League of Cities (http://www.nwflc.com/cities/alpha.php - broken link)

Cork on the Ocean,

Your post "I had to pop in here because I think you may have gotten some misinformation about the area being the "panhandle". That's a generalization which is not applicable to the 12 mile stretch of beach between Destin and Panama City Beach. I live on 30A as does 2 bohemians."

If you live in Bay County you are part of the Panhandle or North West Florida.

Last edited by sunrico90; 07-09-2008 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Cork on the Ocean,

Your post "I had to pop in here because I think you may have gotten some misinformation about the area being the "panhandle". That's a generalization which is not applicable to the 12 mile stretch of beach between Destin and Panama City Beach. I live on 30A as does 2 bohemians."

My impression of what Cork on the Ocean was referring to by using the word "generalization" re the 30A area was this: Cork thought that the area was unique from the rest of the panhandle area, but was still a part of it geographically. Cork on the Ocean, correct me if I'm wrong! (We artsy types understand each other, right?).

Old 07-09-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
This are the counties that are part of the Northwest Florida League of Cities

[Municipal Members | Northwest Florida League of Cities

and the link to the cities: Member Cities | Northwest Florida League of Cities (http://www.nwflc.com/cities/alpha.php - broken link)

Cork on the Ocean,

Hi Sunrico,

I don't live in Bay County, I live in south Walton County. Most definitely walton county is part of northwest Fla (aka, the Panhandle). However the recommendation by mg83 to stay away because it's still the "deep south" or " panhandle" is what I was referring to. Along with the comment comes the inferences that it's redneck. My comment was that there's a niche area in South Walton which is far from that. There were a bunch of celebrities vacationing on 30A last weekend including Jessica Simpson and her boyfriend, Sheryl Crowe, Greg Kinnear, Faith Hill and several more. The area is nothing like the "redneck riviera". That was my point.

Quote:
My impression of what Cork on the Ocean was referring to by using the word "generalization" re the 30A area was this: Cork thought that the area was unique from the rest of the panhandle area, but was still a part of it geographically. Cork on the Ocean, correct me if I'm wrong! (We artsy types understand each other, right?).
You hit it right on the head. In fact, the area is nothing like anywhere else in Florida and most places in the country. Stringent growth restrictions has made it quite the paradise. I just realized your handle of "Sailor". A friend and I are preparing to take off sailing for a couple of years. If artsy people like living life to the fullest, I'm there! I knew you couldn't be bad when you said you've been to Amsterdam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida