Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,893 times

Advertisements

Hi There!
We also are NJ residents(near Atlantic City)and we are relocating to the Tampa area soon. You will find that people down there are pretty friendly. You'll run into nasty people now and then, but that happens everywhere. The pace of life is slower in Fla.--I love it!!!

We'll be relocating to Wesley Chapel, which is a bit north of Tampa. It's a pretty new area and nice developments are going up there. Three new malls are being built there too. The families are nice, and I find that people are very polite. If you have kids, it a great place to rear them. Kids there seem to be more respectful and tame than kids here up north.

Good luck!!

nj tootsie

Old 05-21-2006, 09:08 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
(Disclaimer:I'm not from Florida, but I am a native southerner from a beach state with many relocated northerners)

I think this is a good question, jerseygirlgoinsouth. The truth is, southerners don't hate northerners. You could compare it to how the French view Americans. The French see Americans as rude, loud, and generally disrespectful of their culture and way of life.

Southerners feel a similar way. Most northerners I've met in the south either:
A. Don't know..
B. Don't care..
C. Make fun of..
Our customs and way of life. Typically things like humility, friendliness to strangers, putting others before yourself, respecting women (opening the door for a lady, etc.), and particularly, keeping your mouth shut if you can't think of something nice to say. I find this particularly prevalent with guys from up north.

Remember: "Good manners do not cost you anything to exercise, but the lack of them may cost you dearly"

Now, there are other things going on as well, some of which you may have no control over:
-Y'all are moving down south, causing development of land that is very important to us.

-Politics are a factor - we typically favor small government, y'all typically favor big government.

-The media's portrayal of the south. Southerners are made fun of in the media. Southern characters in movies are usually uneducated or unintelligent. Stories involving the South always involve racism. So northerners come down with the assumption that we're all racist, ignorant xenophobes.

-"Well, let me tell you how we used to do it back in CLEVELAND!" oh god, please don't say this (or any variant of it). I wouldn't go to New York and say, "Well, this is how y'all run your state, we do it like THIS back in the swamp.."

-Try not to make fun of our accents. Contrary to popular belief, southerners are proud of the way we talk.

Now, if you move down south, you'll probably catch some flak from someone for being a yankee. Chances are, someone is just picking on you. I got picked on last time I was in Philly, and the last time I was in New York. I shrugged it off, and we all had a good laugh.

I honestly hope this was informative. I was just reading this thread and I felt like the general question was, "Why are they so hostile?" and the answer was "Well, that's because they're rednecks, but we're displacing them, so it's no problem."

Good luck!
-anonymous

Old 05-22-2006, 06:51 AM

91 posts, read 336,950 times
Hi anonymous,

I agree with you on most issues and you put it in such a nice way! I recently visited the Savannah area and talk about old southern charm! It was just lovely, truly. We had to wait for a table at a restaurant and the way the hostess said it, "I'll be with y'all in just a minute" I didn't mind waiting. In fact, I would've waited longer with a smile on my face. It was just something in the way she said it, that was just so charming. Same with the waitress, and everyone we met along the way.
I think in the north, people are just so rushed and have to fight, kick and scream to get service that it's a little difficult to diffuse oneself from that way of life when going to other areas, like the south.
As for me, I am looking forward to moving south in the hopes to find the southern charm and embrace it in my life. Why do you think people of the north are moving to your neck of the woods? They are just as done with rude, annoying people and being in a rush all the time. Unfortunately, we will find that some of these people will bring their northern ways with them, but maybe in time they will settle down. I realize that Florida is being built up to accomodate people moving from all over, but again, I can't find fault with folks saying things about where they came from, after all, it is comfort to them to speak about where they came from and who knows, they may have something to share that might be useful or even a better way to do something, is all. It doesn't hurt to listen, anyway.

Being from NJ, I find people equate that with being like the characters on the Soprano's or that Jersey attitude. Women with high hair and clicking their gum and trashy clothes. It's not to say that there aren't parts of NJ that have that, but not EVERYONE is like that, from NJ. So on the flip side, we maybe can agree that people are people no matter where they come from, some are nice and some are not. I have high hopes that my move will improve my lifestyle and I hope to make alot of southern friends

Old 05-22-2006, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,140 times
Default Welcome to Ft. Myers

Jersey Girl,

I was at an interesting conference a few weeks ago in Ft. Myers (which is where I live). The speaker at the time asked everyone who had lived in FM for more than 10 years to stand up -- about 10% stood up. He then asked everyone who living in Ft. Myers for at least 5 years to stand up -- about 25% stood. Consequently, when he asked everyone to stand who has MOVED here within the last 5 years, the majority stood.

My point is, EVERYONE is from outside the area. I'm sure you will be more than welcome -- especially if you have money to spend!

Welcome to Ft. Myers!

Old 05-23-2006, 06:57 AM

91 posts, read 336,950 times
Thank you, gatorguy1969! I am so looking forward to it and your post only encourages me
I just feel that meeting people from all over, I am bound to come across some interesting folks with much to share from where they came from and from people who are native to Fla and the south. I can't wait!!

Old 05-25-2006, 05:42 PM

33 posts, read 100,903 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the responses...It is really helpful to get different perspectives. I have lived in a bunch of states and even in Florida once for a few months as a child (Ft. Myers). Unfortunately, I do not have much of a choice as the the area in Fla we move, it must be commuting distance to Tampa for my husbands job. If I had my choice I would go to St. Augustine in a heartbeat, it is one of my all time favorite places in the world. But at least we will be able to go there on the weekends. The media portrayal of northerners and southerners and midwesterners and new englanders, texans etc...is all so stereotypical. I have no beef with anyone, I have young children and just want to meet people and have fun and embrace a new, slower, hopefully less hectic way of life. I think I'll manage in the Tampa area because coming from the most densely populated state in the country, I am all too familiar with traffic and crowds!! At least I won't have to deal with traffic and crowds AND snow!!!

Old 05-28-2006, 12:07 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Jerseygirl, I've been following this thread because I liked the name of your post. I've been to Fla, but don't live there. Just by your attitude and your friendliness, I will venture to guess that you'll fit in any place you want to live. So relax and enjoy your new home.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:45 AM

363 posts, read 2,019,824 times
All I know is... I was born and raised in Florida and my view on "Northerners" is interest! I like likable people! With all due respect, I can't figure out how anyone can speak for ALL southerners. Just so "Northerners" understand- Floridians are not all the same- people from the south, people from Florida,or people from ANYWHERE. As we all know, Florida has become a melting pot in itself. I know. I know. Every state has their stereotypical resident... It's just am not one of them and by belonging to this forum I am sure that I have seen many who break all the "rules". All people from anywhere are not the same. Gosh! I'm not trying to be overbearing, I just despise being lumped together with a group that doesn't reflect all of my views. Bottom line is, I love Florida, but most of all I LOVE our country!!! It belongs to all of us, in it's entirety! Anyway, good luck in your move. There are many great places and people to experience in our AWESOME United States!

Last edited by pioneer8; 05-28-2006 at 04:50 AM..

Old 05-28-2006, 08:43 AM

33 posts, read 100,903 times
Thank you, I appreciate that because I feel the same way. I am excited to try something new, I 've been in Jersey for the past 25 years but I've also lived in PA, CA, and NY and a lot of my family is in FL so I'm excited for a chance to live near them. I look at this as an opportunity to meet new people and embrace a new place and I've heard more from nice people than not so I think things are going to be great, I'm looking forward to it!

Old 05-28-2006, 04:43 PM

38 posts, read 217,517 times
Thumbs up I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer8
All I know is... I was born and raised in Florida and my view on "Northerners" is interest! I like likable people! With all due respect, I can't figure out how anyone can speak for ALL southerners. Just so "Northerners" understand- Floridians are not all the same- people from the south, people from Florida,or people from ANYWHERE. As we all know, Florida has become a melting pot in itself. I know. I know. Every state has their stereotypical resident... It's just am not one of them and by belonging to this forum I am sure that I have seen many who break all the "rules". All people from anywhere are not the same. Gosh! I'm not trying to be overbearing, I just despise being lumped together with a group that doesn't reflect all of my views. Bottom line is, I love Florida, but most of all I LOVE our country!!! It belongs to all of us, in it's entirety! Anyway, good luck in your move. There are many great places and people to experience in our AWESOME United States!
Thank you Pioneer8, I agree with you 100%. I don't like lumping people together either. Everyone is an individual, although many share similar mentalities. We can all hate eachother and be rude because of our differences and out of selfishness, or we can learn to get along and respect everyone as a human being. Why not? Life is too short and there is already too much hatred in the world. I found that the best way to deal with angry bitter people is to kill them with kindness, or at least try not to feed their fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida