Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:33 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Have you checked out taxes and insurance,you will also PAY 7 percent florida sales tax.We got setup before impact fee went into effectThis is why we bought a repo.,28 by 60 1998 fleetwood for $17,000 after elbow grease.total cost with new heat pump,permits,setup etc. $28,000.A well constructed home with super sized closets and large kitchen.There are many things to look at before buying or you will be hurting!!
REPLY: Prop. Taxes run $1,000 on the 2005 and i havent looked into insurance yet. I would consider a repo if its not in too bad of shape and basically cosmetic. Ive been in the heating/cooling trade since 1976 so if they took the a/c and furnace with them, thats no prob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:36 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
I have had no real problems with the Fleetwood. It came with a one year warranty. We had some minor imperfections and the factory sent out a fix it guy and he fixed it all in 2 hours.The only major gripe I have is that the hot water heater is not easy to access.

Your prospects sound good. All MHs since 1994 are much stronger and better built since the newer codes were enacted after Hurricane Andrew and upgraded in 1998.

I would get a pro to inspect it before you buy though. It shouldnt cost more than 300 bucks and if he finds any major problems then you can negotiate the final price down.

It is a buyers market. I would offer at least 10 percent under their asking price for starters. You are paying a lot for the turn key packaged deal although you wont be paying extra for an impact fee. Not sure if you pay sales tax if you buy the home and land together.

Check out the price of vacant lots in the area to get some cost basis to compare. If the vacant lots are in Marion County check out the impact fees. They are super high for any new building projects on vacant land.

I think Williston is a nice country town. I donno much much about the schools and that sort of thing though. North, East and South of Williston is horse country with some areas of big oaks and rolling hills. West is sand hills with small trees and sugar sand. Not as scenic but the skeeters are not as bad and you get good perc in your septic tank.

There are some large developments that were first laid out in the 70s between Williston and Bronson in the sand hills. Some of those lots are off long dirt roads that will beat your car to death and will really up your commute time to town. A little distance on a dirt road is no big deal but if you have to drive for miles at 10mph in soft sand and through mud holes it can be difficult. Even some of the county maintained roads get rough between gradings.

Paved road access is your best option if you have a choice.

You can add on a carport real easy. Just buy some aluminum pans roof sections and run them off your facia board to a post and beam. It is something you can do easy as long as you lay it out the beam plumb, level and parallel to the facia board.

Good luck and welcome to Florida.
REPLY: Encouraging info ; thanks. I think id rather have a pole barn built on the property to store a couple of cars i have and to use as a workshop. Williston sounds like a nice quiet town which is what im looking for and not far from bigger towns like Ocala and Gainesville for shopping. Ill take the dirt roads into consideration .

Old 08-02-2008, 01:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
You have no A/C? How can you sleep at night? I love Florida but I need a break from this heat sometimes and to sleep at night I need Air!

I would be like living north with no heat in the winter.
When I'm tired, I sleep, it doesn't matter what the temp is. I work hard for the money.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:57 PM

185 posts, read 652,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
Im considering buying a Manufactured Home of 1300 sq. ft living area and it is located in North Central Florida near Gainesville . There are a moderate amount of shade trees around the house . Since there is no attic space in these types of homes, im wondering how difficult it is to cool the home in 90 f. plus outdoor temps ? What are some things that are typically done to these types of homes to reduce the Cooling load ; window tint film ,roof sunlight reflective products , etc ??? Lastly, are there any special considerations to these kinds of homes in terms of common problems, etc ? Thanks, David.
I've lived in a single wide 2 bath and 2 bedroom for the past 12 years. Also am the 3rd. owner of this property. Your lucky to have shade trees. I have ficus around mine and this has cooled down the inside of my trailer a good 20%. My central air/heat was repaired a good 3 times and that ended it. I have one 10 thousand BTU wall unit, and two 5 thousand BTU wall units. My electric bill during this summer with the 16% hike is $120.00 a month. Use to be $59.00. That is running the lights, a/c units, hot water heater, fridge (average size), computer, washer/dryer, and my gourd carving tools. In my case I would have put in a new central heat/air, but look for this area to be bought out soon. As it stands I think that I'm wasting money putting in a privacy fence around my car port. Don't know but love the feel of a court yard patio. Been to New Orleans in the past to many times. I watched H Wilma peel off my car port roof like a top on a can of sardines. Lost a beautiful Ruby Red Grapefruit tree. My property has no sheds, and had 2 delapetated sheds torn down. Not bad for an old timer trailer. Thing is that you don't want anything around you like old sheds that might be a projectile. My ficus held it's own and bent with the wind. Good luck on your MH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida