Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 19,731 times

Advertisements

I have commuted to and through De Land for nearly all my life it does have some serious crime problems. one of my friends was jumped and shot at just walking through a bad part of town luckily they missed, but his arm was broken and had some bad bruising. I was talking to a D eland police officer the other day, he was telling me along the road Spring Garden is actually the scene for the largest cocaine trafficking areas for all of central Florida. Gangs are a problem You will notice graffiti from a local Mexican gang everywhere. Football is very big in Deland though to so if you like that your good . if you move to the right part of deland i.e. victoria park or near stetson you will love it. just stay out of the bad areas such as west beresford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 19,731 times
If you want a nice town in the area pick DEBARY a nice river town. very quiet but look out for flood zones

Old 03-06-2009, 11:34 AM

8 posts, read 66,390 times
  1. We went back to Deland and visited The Highlands new community been built by Gallery Homes at Ridgewood Avenue and Minnesota Avenue. We also visited Willow Ridge Subdivision at Blue Lake Road and East Minnesota. If anyone familiar with these areas and builders. I would really appreciate any information. We are still looking for a place to buy a house in Deland. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 31,085 times
Default Did you have any Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casamia View Post
  1. We went back to Deland and visited The Highlands new community been built by Gallery Homes at Ridgewood Avenue and Minnesota Avenue. We also visited Willow Ridge Subdivision at Blue Lake Road and East Minnesota. If anyone familiar with these areas and builders. I would really appreciate any information. We are still looking for a place to buy a house in Deland. Thanks in advance for any help.
Where did you end up buying?

Old 06-17-2014, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,091 times
My Uncle lives in DeLand and I'm going to visit him for the very first time. I'll report back in a couple of weeks and let you know all about it! Until then, I remain very excited about the trip.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Good luck w/ your trip, keep in mind these threads are very old and the posters may not even post here anymore. Have a good time

Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 9,091 times
Default DeLand !

Thank you for your reply, HoneyCrisp. Came back from Florida last week (haven't even finished unpacking yet!) and all I can say is that my Floridian experience was life-changing. Saw my Uncle for the first time in my life and was amazed that DeLand isn't at all what I thought it would be.

Last edited by Il4peace; 07-21-2014 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-21-2014, 07:10 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Have you been to DeLand? It's not a nice place. Lot of crime, large minority population, basically it's just a ghetto... you should visit there before deciding to move there. The houses are cheaper there for a reason, because the area is not good.
What is wrong with having a population of minorities? Sounds rather racist if you ask me.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:02 PM

644 posts, read 1,484,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il4peace View Post
Thank you for your reply, HoneyCrisp. Came back from Florida last week (haven't even finished unpacking yet!) and all I can say is that my Floridian experience was life-changing. Saw my Uncle for the first time in my life and was amazed that DeLand isn't at all what I thought it would be.
What was it like? Did you like Deland, or were you disappointed in some aspects of it?

Old 09-17-2014, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,240 times
Depends on where you're coming from. I came from the southwest and boy oh boy what a reality check I had!! Drug users are prevalent here and there are more drug and alcohol rehab centers here than there are apt complexes! A lot of the population here love to play the 'victim' card and have no shame when it comes to handouts and government programs. Where I come from we work for a living and take care of the things we owned. Be very aware of what you consider quality of life because if you are a law abiding citizen who isn't looking for a handout this town is NOT for you. There are not very many educated people here even though the town boasts of it's Stetson University. This is one person who wishes they would have had someone be this brutally honest before I moved here. The homeless camps along hwy 92 are scary and be careful driving down that road at night because they come out and walk along the hwy in the dark or maybe they are coming out of the many jails and rehab units or bail bond places along that hwy. As for police? Do they even have a police dept in DeLand? Never see them. We had loads of law enforcement where I come from and homeless walking the hwy at nite would not have been tolerated like it is here!
In short....there is a reason FL is always in national news for crime!!! Beware!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida