Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 07:31 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times

Advertisements

What are the requirements to become one?

Is this a money maker or depends on mother nature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 PM

179 posts, read 1,209,095 times
It is a good steady income but not the big $$ or anything...you could definitely find a job in Florida b/c it's the type of job that an insurance company has in every state they write business. Many people start out in the field (underwriting/claims) and end up with important jobs in the corporate headquarters, which would require you to move out of Florida (unless the hq is in Fla). I think a bachelors degree is all you need...insurance experience would be helpful though. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:17 PM

14 posts, read 65,022 times
I have been an insurance adjuster for ten years and I would not recommend this job to anyone!! There are two type of adjusters, staff and independent. Independent adjusters work for adjusting companies, not actual insurance carriers. There is much more money in independent adjuster, however you earn every penny. There is no such thing as a eight hour day if you are working a storm or a five day work week. Most catastrophe adjusters (storm adjusters) will work a large storm and then take a few months off. It sounds much more appealing than it is.
You spend your days arguing with homeowners, contractors and insurance carriers. Every one hates you and you don't see you family or friends for months at a time if you work the storms. Living in hotel rooms suck and that is if you can find a hotel in the area you are working. I worked the Florida hurricanes and had to stay in a hotel two hours away from the area in which I was working. Sometimes Fema would come in and the hotels would kick me out to allow fema to have rooms.
I would run and run fast!!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 05:42 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRyder View Post
It is a good steady income but not the big $$ or anything...you could definitely find a job in Florida b/c it's the type of job that an insurance company has in every state they write business. Many people start out in the field (underwriting/claims) and end up with important jobs in the corporate headquarters, which would require you to move out of Florida (unless the hq is in Fla). I think a bachelors degree is all you need...insurance experience would be helpful though. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Is that what you do?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,080 times
Is there workk in this field still im studying to take the test is it worth the time and effort

Old 01-07-2011, 06:33 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
My friend who works in construction told me of a few adjusters that he has met. There are different types of adjusters (auto, property/homeowners, etc.). It is stressful from what I've gathered. I think it really depends on which company you are working for. Usually (in FL) start off in the low $40k's, company car, cell phone, laptop provided. Some work from home. Some work out in the field and get their assignments from home.

Storm/Cat adjusters (mentioned above) can live a pretty stressful life... working 10 -12 hr days, living out of a hotel room, etc... could be gone for a few days or a few months. But, they are compensated for it. Some make $800 - $1000 a day.

Staff/field adjusters work for an insurance company and are paid less, but Cat opp's are available (and usually mandatory) if a big storm hit.

Public adjusters work for the client (the insured) and not the insurance company. They are usually paid a fee (like 10%) of the claim.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMOM3 View Post
Is there workk in this field still im studying to take the test is it worth the time and effort

There's always going to be storms and claims, as far as I can tell. If you do daily claims, you can usually get on FT with a company. If you're just doing CAT work, it could be months in between assignments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida