Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 AM

20 posts, read 37,820 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

We are a english family looking to move to Florida (Vero Beach area) from France later in the year, we have two children age 10 and 8, currently in an international/french school.

My query if anyone would be kind enough to help is how does the american school system work? what school do i need to be looking for ie middle school, high school etc, and what is the criteria for being accepted into a school, do you have to live in a catchment of the school, or can you choose which school you would prefer them to go regardles of where you may live, do they have to pass an entrance exam etc etc i am a total novice sorry, i have tried to do a search and have found good information on the local Vero schools both public and private but i could do with a little local knowledge as to how we go about applying etc

Plus if anyone has any recomendadtions of schools in vero that would be great to

Many thanks in advance

kx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:32 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,789,535 times
Public school in the US is governed by local School Districts with elected officials supervising them [the SCHOOL BOARD] and uniform standards exist. Each district is sort of independent usually by county in most places for all intents and purposes, and when you have an issue or concern you can escalate it beyond the local school personel to the board.

Special needs whether it be for "handicaps" or "gifted" are managed by school boards to ensure federal laws of the US are being followed. As such, if your child has any issues, it's the responsibilities of the public school system to determine the issue (testing), and come up with a plan called an IEP , an individual child's plan. For example accelerated classes for gifted students or special test taking methodology if for example a student is found to not test well by written tests due to a developmental problem etc. The range is broad from a minor problem to a severe handicap.

This is not uniform in a private school over here so for that reason I mention it. Some students do much better in public schools if there are resources they can utilize. Private schools make up their OWN rules and standards. Also sometimes over here, if you attend a private school there is a small limited pool of potential friends so that can be an issue. Public school is the opposite a large pool of kids including "problem kids" but
your kids have a broader diverse group to choose from AND usually their friends will live closer. In the neighborhood. Both types of schools have merit.

If your children require public transportation to and from school, this is arranged by the school and they will give you the schedule and rules. Ask about that too.

I just moved to Vero also. I have no young kids but I DO have a great real estate agent who is very professional and knows alot and tells it to you straight.... AND she's from France LOL.

Give her a call or send an email. She may be in France right now, as a matter of fact. I think her partner might have kids here she's younger. Linda.

Mod Deleted

Alternatively, for public school, just call the school district: 772-364-3000 they work all summer in my experience in another state. Yes there will be requirements for showing documents of residence to start, I'm sure. and likely to be some basic testing for placement I'd imagine. And each district has different cut off points and even different school schedules depending on the county so it's best to get the entire rundown from them.

Hopefully someone here knows more but this will get you started.

edited to add: schools here can be grade 1-5 or 1-6 or 1-8 or 5-7 or 6-9 or 7-9 ha ha ....it all depends on the state and county. some counties here actually have school all year round (or almost).

Also it is unlikely your children will be given French in public school at age 8,10 but I may be mistaken. I attended private school here with classes in French and transferred to public in grade 10 and was well beyond the grade 12 class level so I had to take Spanish. If you are living in Florida learning Spanish is not a bad idea for the children in fact living anywhere now, bilingual employment is a whole other world for people when they start working and can be more lucrative.

Last edited by sunrico90; 06-27-2008 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: DM info to member

Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 AM

By the way if you speak with Monette feel free to tell her the "tenant from down the street from Pennsylvania" referred you. I'd be happy to help you out over here with the ways of the US lol. (we live on the same block) or send me a direct message on this site but I only come here off and on.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:24 AM

Thank you for taking the time to reply, thats a great help i shall certainly contact the agent.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:27 AM

Oh nearly forgot, can you let me have her details, and i can contact her, thanks

Old 06-28-2008, 07:43 AM

Hi I sent you the information via direct message on this board.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,562 times
Default Vero Beach

I have done a lot of research of the schools and area, since as yourselves my 8 year old daughter has attended french school since she was 2 years old. Being an american I can tell you that the public system is not the way to go, unless you enter into what we call a charter school. Charter schools are in specific areas and you must live within the zip code area in order to attend. There is a great private school call Saint Edwards and you can access this information online. I hope this will help you. Betty If you need more info let me know [mod]Contact via Direct Message[/mod]

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlemons View Post
Hi Everyone

We are a english family looking to move to Florida (Vero Beach area) from France later in the year, we have two children age 10 and 8, currently in an international/french school.

My query if anyone would be kind enough to help is how does the american school system work? what school do i need to be looking for ie middle school, high school etc, and what is the criteria for being accepted into a school, do you have to live in a catchment of the school, or can you choose which school you would prefer them to go regardles of where you may live, do they have to pass an entrance exam etc etc i am a total novice sorry, i have tried to do a search and have found good information on the local Vero schools both public and private but i could do with a little local knowledge as to how we go about applying etc

Plus if anyone has any recomendadtions of schools in vero that would be great to

Many thanks in advance

kx

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-21-2010 at 09:51 AM..

Old 07-19-2010, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 12,955 times
Other than St Edwards which is very very expensive, what is the best elementary school in Vero Beach. I have a 7 year old daughter and we will be relocating to Vero Beach. We currently have a home on the Barrier island. I was on line looking at the statistical test scores of Beachland elementary and Osceola Magnet and was very very dissappointed. I also saw Beachland Elementary buses underpriviledged children to the school. I do not understand this. We live on Long Island, NY and I am extremely happy with my daughter public school education; however I am concerned that she will not receive the same education in FL. If any one cn shed some light on this subject I would highly appreciate. My daughter for the past 2 years has attended St. Edwards camp. I am fimiliar with the private school; however I have a hard time justifying spending $17,500 or more on an elementary school education. Can not wait for the replies.
Worried in NY

Old 07-20-2010, 07:18 PM

707 posts, read 1,460,961 times
I am from New York and I will say I think that the teaching is lower than up their because of the fact you can become a teacher without a Masters degree unlike in New York.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:22 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I am from New York and I will say I think that the teaching is lower than up their because of the fact you can become a teacher without a Masters degree unlike in New York.
You can teach in NYC without a masters degree. All that is required is a bachelors and certification which is the same as my county in Florida.

And it is there not their.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida