Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: cost of living, tax help, market, retirement, home prices.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:21 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
T because of perceived things like "Rudest people ever, crime, too many Hispanics, bad weather, bad customer service one time at Walmart, crime, crime" which are bound to exist to an
<sigh> LOL Compelled, well I was goin along fine with you 'til you cited my reference to the Walmart deal...sort of a cheap shot when my CONTEXT was "you have to move here with a different mindset because it's a different atmosphere" in answering the OP on the thread about why people complain. Especially given she was from NY. I'm sure she understood the shorthand too.

I'm confused why you'd dismiss advise to someone to NOT MOVE HERE without knowing what to expect, when you say all the time that people are irresponsible for just that. And I'm confused why you say it happens everywhere, but we're talking about here. Just like if the forum was another state they'd be talking about that state.

The illustration was one of several, representative of every day events ime, that add hours to your day wasted until you develop workarounds or accept the inevitable which I have known about here, for decades when they delivered my mother's wall unit 3 months early randomly,and left it sitting out on the catwalk...I notice you didn't mention that It's constant here. I see my time as of more value.

How 'bout this, is NO USABLE FURNITURE for 12 weeks ...enough to allow me to complain?Purchased $5000.00 sofa and two chairs OFF THE FLOOR of a major furn store [on FED] in FLL... promised no feather (I'm allergic). Had a LONG discussion with them about making sure it was poly. Flew down for delivery and it was full of feathers. They refused to take it back and I"m waiting 14 weeks now for a poly replacement. Cant use what I have so I have a home made cushion on the frame. It's real fun entertaining on that... not to mention being allergic for 14 weeks.

Here's my favorite. The creep property owner who rented me a Hollywood beach duplex when it was already occupied with a tenant. (against the statute, it's illegal). Now I get to go to court for a lien that will never be paid because this guy has several already. Caveat emptor? yes. Just like the other wacky landlords that my kid has had, including the last one, foreclosed in month 9.

I'm pretty sure there's a generational difference between you and me. My son is more tolerant too. But he still calls a dope a dope. And that's fine, it's as nature intended. He wasn't so happy though when his FL moving company pulled the old scam of giving you one written quote then holding his stuff hostage till he paid an extra 2000.00 (for 5 pieces). Another famous regional problem. (no, not EXCLUSIVELY FL but FAMOUS to Fl. And he was scared as hell since they used physical intimidation on him.

I'm sure you're aware that several FLORIDA moving companies have been federally indicted for corruption...conspiracy, fraud, extortion, false bills of lading conspiracy to commit money laundering and several FBI operations have gone on down here. Unfortunately the big indictment was two years after my kid's experience.

UNHEARD of up North.

To deny regional difference in people is not statistically sound. Just like it's not good business to deny cultural differences from around the world. My former company required extensive diversity training back in the dark ages, 1989 with role playing between employees in Iowa and NJ/NY.

To illustrate that you cannot manage corn farmers with the same expectations and language as NY subway riders. All the Iowa people said "my employees would cry if you said that to them" and all of us East Coast people said "you are a bunch of babies then" LOLOL

Our last diversity training emphasized that you cannot give an interview to people from India and invade their personal space etc etc. We had to sit through all this body language stuff....

I don't assume, though, that you moved here from New York as an independent adult and self sufficient and never noticed any of these work ethic, space cadet problems.

Hell, I went to the mall for Hurricane Education day and tried talking to the ASPCA woman about shelter with two small birds and she kept talking about dogs and I kept saying I HAVE NO FREAKING DOGS I HAVE BIRDS, and she just kept telling me about dogs, put them in carriers etc .....HAHAHA....lots of nuts down here....but beautiful palm trees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:49 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Transplants are fine if they come RESPONSIBLY seeking JOBS or if a change is TRULY necessary, not looking for the promised land or no rude people or blah blah taking nothing else into consideration. There has to be some movement, we obviously can't all just stay in one place all the time and love everywhere we are, but this extreme transience right now is really eroding our sense of community and ruining a lot of Sunbelt cities...a lot of it is being done very selfishly and it's amazing how people are willing to uproot their whole friend and family network in their safe, middle class, reasonable neighborhood because of perceived things like "Rudest people ever, crime, too many Hispanics, bad weather, bad customer service one time at Walmart, crime, crime" which are bound to exist to an extent everywhere... people tend to become representative of what they are complaining about and a lot of us need to hang loose as human beings...
Well, we live in a society where instant gratification is the norm & expected as well as accepted.

People in this country feel "entitled" to everything under the sky but don't want to deal with some of the consequences & many times the work that comes with their choices.

Make a choice but remember it has consequences, both bad & good.

Last edited by 121804; 07-03-2008 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-03-2008, 07:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Well, we live in a society where instant gratification is the norm & expected as well as accepted.

People in this country feel "entitled" to everything under the sky but don't want to deal with some of the consequences & many times the work that comes with their choices.

Make a choice but remember it has consequences, both bad & good.
Exactly!

And runwithscissors, you are 100% right and I actually wasn't referring to you at all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida