Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: cost of living, tax help, market, retirement, home prices.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:28 AM

657 posts, read 1,787,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B to the T View Post
I am in Sacramento... and La Jolla ROCKS! That place is beautiful... I also love the beach life of Santa Monica... all of which I cannot afford... so to have the opportunity to be near beautiful beaches without sawing off an arm and a leg... I think that is great!
just wondering about la jolla. i am curious, i have a three yr old little one that says she has an angel... and her name is jolla. i heard her say it when she was 2 and didnt think much of it then when she said it again, how could she remember that? so i believe in angels myself.. my friend wanted to google an angel with a name of jolla and up it came. we were blown away but there wasnt as much info on the angel name as the place but both were la jolla, so can you tell me if the place has anything to do with a so called angel? how did it get its name?
we are moving to florida soon from expensive Ct and hope "jolla" is going to help.. lol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 09:09 AM

34 posts, read 71,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B to the T View Post
OK... so I am a Cali guy who has yet to move to or live in Florida (just visits) but this might all soon change... but I have been warned by others and have read on here so many people complaining about property tax and the high cost of living etc... let me share a few things with you from where I am at, maybe the FLHaters will see things differently
If you want to get rich in Florida - don't come .
If you already rich - welcome . We need your money here

Old 06-30-2008, 09:40 AM

305 posts, read 805,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslozhir View Post
If you want to get rich in Florida - don't come .
If you already rich - welcome . We need your money here
Basically,

Nothing to really stick up for, Florida is pretty one-sided and caters much better to the weathly, however for individuals who aren't anywhere near wealthy, this place is pretty pathetic...

I think we can all agree on that.

People who love here are people that comes here with money, buy a big home and live off their savings and so forth.

People who hate it are people that cannot make ends meat and constantly worry about survival.

Honestly, nothing to really debate here about Florida... it's one-sided.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:52 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
basically,

nothing to really stick up for, florida is pretty one-sided and caters much better to the weathly, however for individuals who aren't anywhere near wealthy, this place is pretty pathetic...

I think we can all agree on that.

People who love here are people that comes here with money, buy a big home and live off their savings and so forth.

People who hate it are people that cannot make ends meat and constantly worry about survival.

Honestly, nothing to really debate here about florida... It's one-sided.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
^^ A point of clarity. People who retire here do not unilaterally buy "BIG HOMES". Or are demographically "wealthy". They, for the most part are people who WORKED AND STRUGGLED AND RAISED FAMILIES AND WENT TO NIGHT SCHOOL AND WORKED OVERTIME so that their post-income earning years would not be in poverty. Plenty and I mean PLENTY of them buy mobile homes that most people laugh at. (wrong to do).

Perhaps Floridians should wonder why the graduates of the low ranked schools still have no skills even say going for some training for medical assistant, medical biller, , dental assistant, data entry clerk, licensed prac nurse, nurse assistant, pharm assistant, paralegal, court reporter, computer tech things like hardware or graphic arts, culinary chef, hospitality, even dog groomer for heavens sake etc? A simple thing you can take in any tech school or community college. There are also entry level jobs with national companies like The Marriott and I know for a fact the Marriott has an excellent promotion policy. You can get hired into a front desk clerk position and be a supervisor in a year then an assistant property director (in a small property) within another year or two and making 45,000 + and continue (and that salary I quote is from 2005) . I know young women who quit college and did just that. With excellent Marriott bennies and cheap rooms all over the world. Not to mention there are also companies (I think marriott but maybe not) who pay college and if not look for grants.

I am also quite sure that there are entry level jobs with car rental companies, comcast, phone companies (which I know for a fact because I work(ed) there, and other "office" type jobs. The whole world doesnt start and stop with retail but you have to be able to pass a basic test, too.

Publix, Whole Foods all the grocery stores, yes they are not easy to get along with but they have career paths like dept manager and store manager. You have to look past today. Grocery stores have been the saving grace for many people especially people without particular skills all over the country.

You have to commit to a place and prove yourself and opportunities open. Even McDonalds and those type stores have store managers and so does Walmart etc. You can't compare yourself to people who have worked all their lives.

8.00 per hour, I am a mom and do not want to make you feel bad but it's "meet" not "meat". See, it's not the people moving here that should make you feel bad. It's your fellow citizens, politicians and family (assuming there is one) who did not support your needs before you ventured out into the world. If you are not a young person but older, then you already know this and don't need me to tell you. I hope that you can find a path, for real. My son is 28 and struggling but owns a company and has chosen that path.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:09 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
constantly worry about survival.
As much as I disliked our experience in FL, I don't think it's very logical to assume FL is the only state people are worrying about survival. It's at a national level now & will be for awhile.

During times like this, which have happened in the past & will happen again, people need to figure out how to make ends meet by whatever means necessary. Constantly retweeking a budget. Maybe this is also a wake up call to society that keeping up with the Jones's & having the biggest & best of everything isn't really going to make life what it is intended to be.

We didn't move here for the weather & we didn't leave for money. Everyone's situation is different. But many on here, most who don't even live in FL, like to play psuedo psychologist & pass along $.5 judgement. If that is the way they need to live, so be it. I also am starting to wonder how many OPs are true to what they are writing or are just posting certain topics to see what happens. I feel the latter is more common anymore.

If a person wants to live here for the sun & beach, go for it. I am sure they will figure out a way if they really want it. We wanted to get out of FL asap & we figured out a way. So, I believe the same is true for those who want to move here for whatever reason it may be.

My heart does go out to people who are struggling to stay in areas that they love; places that are their "home" wherever it may be. We have friends in SWFL who have to move to GA due to a job relocation & are devastated. SWFL has been their home for 24 years but the job is moving & there is no lateral movement for him in the area or even anything to transfer over at a lower income. Times are tough on many & FL is not the only state feeling this impact.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 AM

8.00 per hr I forgot to say my kid was an unpaid intern at a company that loved him so much they hired him, and said he'd be the last to go because of his dedication, then helped him start his own company at the same time. if there's something you love, figure it out and contact all those places and make your case.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:39 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
^^ A point of clarity. People who retire here do not unilaterally buy "BIG HOMES". Or are demographically "wealthy". They, for the most part are people who WORKED AND STRUGGLED AND RAISED FAMILIES AND WENT TO NIGHT SCHOOL AND WORKED OVERTIME so that their post-income earning years would not be in poverty. Plenty and I mean PLENTY of them buy mobile homes that most people laugh at. (wrong to do).

Perhaps Floridians should wonder why the graduates of the low ranked schools still have no skills even say going for some training for medical assistant, medical biller, , dental assistant, data entry clerk, licensed prac nurse, nurse assistant, pharm assistant, paralegal, court reporter, computer tech things like hardware or graphic arts, culinary chef, hospitality, even dog groomer for heavens sake etc? A simple thing you can take in any tech school or community college. There are also entry level jobs with national companies like The Marriott and I know for a fact the Marriott has an excellent promotion policy. You can get hired into a front desk clerk position and be a supervisor in a year then an assistant property director (in a small property) within another year or two and making 45,000 + and continue (and that salary I quote is from 2005) . I know young women who quit college and did just that. With excellent Marriott bennies and cheap rooms all over the world. Not to mention there are also companies (I think marriott but maybe not) who pay college and if not look for grants.

I am also quite sure that there are entry level jobs with car rental companies, comcast, phone companies (which I know for a fact because I work(ed) there, and other "office" type jobs. The whole world doesnt start and stop with retail but you have to be able to pass a basic test, too.

Publix, Whole Foods all the grocery stores, yes they are not easy to get along with but they have career paths like dept manager and store manager. You have to look past today. Grocery stores have been the saving grace for many people especially people without particular skills all over the country.

You have to commit to a place and prove yourself and opportunities open. Even McDonalds and those type stores have store managers and so does Walmart etc. You can't compare yourself to people who have worked all their lives.

8.00 per hour, I am a mom and do not want to make you feel bad but it's "meet" not "meat". See, it's not the people moving here that should make you feel bad. It's your fellow citizens, politicians and family (assuming there is one) who did not support your needs before you ventured out into the world. If you are not a young person but older, then you already know this and don't need me to tell you. I hope that you can find a path, for real. My son is 28 and struggling but owns a company and has chosen that path.
Many interesting points here. I can totally relate to the first paragraph. At least where I bought in central Florida, I see many good money making opportunities there if I choose to supplement my pension and work some when we move there in 3 years.

Granted, I would not want to be young and starting out again, (therefore I am not disagreeing with some of the more negative posters, there are problems), but I see MANY areas and things I can do and with my skills get paid well in Florida.

My pension will allow me to try whatever I want to without the pressure to feed a family from that business. I have met others who have retired and moved down to Florida not intending to start working full time again, but starting to work just to keep busy. Their business just grows and before they know it they are doing better then they imagined.

The point I'm making is that;

A) Some people who retire and move to Florida are not wealthy....they, like myself, have just worked hard and saved and made 30-40 years of wise decisions.....living within their means, etc. They are now getting older, their kids are grown, the house they lived in for years is now big, and they can now retire and are not too old to enjoy it. They have endured 40-50 years of cold winters, and are beginning not to like it that much. Florida starts to appeal to them.

B) Those same people like to keep busy. They have a strong work ethic. They see real business opportunity where they move. They start working, just to keep busy and because that is what they have always known. They do it because they want to, not have to. That in itself is a big difference.

I am NOT criticizing anyone who finds Florida a struggle. I KNOW those types of people I am describing have the advantage of experience and a pension to fall back on. I am only pointing out that different people can see things differently based of where they are coming from. that's all.

Respectfully, Frank D.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:05 PM

^^ That's exactly right, Frank. And I would not be happy starting out under today's circumstances here either. If I were young and broke and nowhere, I'd be getting roommates, working two jobs, or joining the military, swear.

And you better believe that I cannot sit around doing nothing, particularly with interest on money market going down by almost half since December.

I will be working by 1Q09 if not sooner and I have no doubt that I will be able to find employment and probably something I enjoy. Hard work has never bothered me and sitting around indefinitely has never been my thing.

There's a retiree in the Lowes here who told me he puts 8 miles a day minimum on his pedometer LOL. He never stops and he told me they ask him every day to work more hours. He likes to hustle and is always pleasant and laughing. Unlike several if not all of the 20 somethings there.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:40 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

The point I'm making is that;

Some people who retire and move to Florida are not wealthy....they, like myself, have just worked hard and saved and made 30-40 years of wise decisions.....living within their means, etc. They are now getting older, their kids are grown, the house they lived in for years is now big, and they can now retire and are not too old to enjoy it. They have endured 40-50 years of cold winters, and are beginning not to like it that much. Florida starts to appeal to them.

Respectfully, Frank D.
We are right there with you, Frank. We are middle class folks who have worked and saved our whole lives, our kids are growing up and when they leave the house will go too, the cold, gray, dreary weather has been endured for 50 plus years and it's wearing on us physically as we age. We can't wait to get to Florida and start our new lives in the sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida