Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:50 PM

168 posts, read 763,033 times

Advertisements

oh, the hair! in florida my naturally wavy hair was a breeze - i could often just wash and fluff. for more sophisticated hairdos, it was always a nightmare...when i was a teenager and as a young adult straight hair was absolutely "in" and trying to make my hair straight was a huge task, and never really worked.

however...here in the west how i wish there was more humidity. i can't do a darn thing with my hair other than to blow dry it straight (in florida it would just curl right back up). sure, it will stay straight here, but it's so damn ugly and "fly-away" - too much static electricity! the only time my hair has some curl here is if it rains (a lot, sure) but i STILL can't make a hair do out of it.

it's been a damn struggle here with the hair - i never thought i'd miss wonderful, hot humid days...but my hair sure does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 06:52 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
haha - florigidge - I kind of like the humidity for my own hair! It makes is feel very thick. I once took a trip out west, and the air was sooo dry and static-charged that my hair got straight as a board and clung to me, or would literally float out to the sides with electricity - ugh! So humidity does have its virtues - its a lot better for the skin, too!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:41 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times
Oh my, when I was in Colorado, my hair was WONDERFUL. BUT, I was there in the summer and it rained almost every day. I'm not sure how the humidity still seems low when it is raining but it did?

My problem in Florida is that I need to look professional for work and that's hard for a 50 year old woman to pull of with curls bouncing all over her head!! LOL

Get a visual on that one...NOT!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
heehee
I hated both my hair and skin in Colorado--especially in the winter.

I know a lot of women here can't stand frizz, and they deliberately blowdry the curls right out of their hair.
I understand that professional women have to look more presentable, but I am an old hippie and don't have to look too fancy for preschool. So I have been much happier with this climate. No more cracks in my hands or eczema elsewhere. And the hair just does what it wants.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
My hair is doing ok cause right now we have no humidity up here. BUT my skin, especially my hands are so cracked and dry that they're bleeding. I think it has something to do with our -32 windchill this morning.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:04 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times
I think it has something to do with our -32 windchill this morning.

Oh my...I just can't imagine that kind of cold. The lowest temp I've experienced in recent years was around 18 degrees. That was in North Georgia over Thanksgiving weekend several years ago. I had already spent several years in Florida by that time and wasn't used to that kind of cold. I thought I would freeze.

But I do remember one January in Orlando where it got that cold...it was around my birthday and we went out to lunch at a restaurant by Lake Eola in downtown. There was a thermometer on one of the banks there and it registered 18 at noon. Now THAT'S cold for Florida and extremely unusual. The thing is even when we have cold snaps they only last for a couple of days and then it's warm again. It's about noon here now and 76 outside.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:37 AM

69 posts, read 394,105 times
I used in live in Central Florida, and I thought the weather was wonderful, most of the time, even on the warmer days. I'm from Maryland, but the humidity seems worse there.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Perfect weather for washing cars, cleaning the garage, some BBQ later today and 12 OZ curl's.....

Gulf Breeze, FL

Current Conditions:
As reported at KPNS, Pensacola Arpt..
Last update Mon 15 Jan 2007 9:53 AM CST.

Cloudy Cloudy
68°F
http://www.att.net/global-images/channels/weather/26.gif (broken link)

Feels Like: N/A°F
UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: From the SSE at 7 mph
Humidity: 90 % Not here feel perfect....
Visibility: 10.00 miles
Barometer: 30.16 inches and Steady

Old 01-15-2007, 11:14 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Sunrico, I suppose those 12 oz curls don't have anything to do with your hair, do they?

Warm and sunny here in G'ville. Need to mow my yard, though. It's supposed to get cold again in a day or so.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Sunrico, I suppose those 12 oz curls don't have anything to do with your hair, do they?

Warm and sunny here in G'ville. Need to mow my yard, though. It's supposed to get cold again in a day or so.

The hair is a Flat Top (14 years, great for hot places like Saudi and Colombia). Now the 12 oz curls are the energy to survive the wifes tasks for the day. Every good SNCO has a general....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida