Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Bottom line, Florida has its negatives, but it has a LOT to offer if you can find the right situation. I think more is being made of the weather than needs to be. Reading your posts you don't like the gloomy - NEITHER DO I! You will love Florida, it has some gray days, but this is THE SUNSHINE STATE. Nowhere has more beautiful sunsets, either.
Or sunrises.
And for those who like it, Florida does have a lot of coastline--and it is very unspoiled in the north.
I agree that more is being made of the weather than needs to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 07:04 PM

7 posts, read 16,630 times
Beautiful picture, cil. Is that on the Gulf of Mexico?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 8,602 times
Arizona, New Mexico....basically the desert southwest has the lowest humidity....

Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,462 times
I live in Washington, in the desert east of the Cascades. It's not uncommon in summer to see temperatures over 105, and I've seen 117 on a couple of occasions.
I grew up in the south with LOTS of humidity and maybe because I became used to it early on, I think a dry heat is worse. At least if you have humidity, your sweat acts to cool you off. In an oven, even a breeze justs blows hot air in your face and there is absolutely no relief.
I always tell people, "My oven has no humidity, but it gets pretty hot, you wanna try?"

Old 01-19-2012, 07:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce1686 View Post
I live in Washington, in the desert east of the Cascades. It's not uncommon in summer to see temperatures over 105, and I've seen 117 on a couple of occasions.
I grew up in the south with LOTS of humidity and maybe because I became used to it early on, I think a dry heat is worse. At least if you have humidity, your sweat acts to cool you off. In an oven, even a breeze justs blows hot air in your face and there is absolutely no relief.
I always tell people, "My oven has no humidity, but it gets pretty hot, you wanna try?"
" At least if you have humidity, your sweat acts to cool you off"
??? Humid conditions act just the opposite of this ... what are you talking about? In humid conditions your sweat doesn't evaporate -- the act of evaporation is exactly how the body cools.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:55 PM

258 posts, read 614,590 times
Anywhere on Coastal Florida, not so bad ... Constant breezes. You get used to it ... I lived in L.A. many years, then moved, and after 2 weeks, I adjusted.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:36 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,634 times
So, Iriegirl, where did you wind up going?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 955 times
I am just curious what decision you ended up making. I am always so amazed at some of the comments I see about Florida, because some of them are simply not true. If you move to the St. Augustine area, the weather is nearly perfect October through April. I just came back from there, at it was actually windy and cold half of the week we were there. There was not much humidity going on at all. In fact, I would have invited some, because there were a couple days it was not pleasant to be outdoors. I was also there last July, and yes, it was an oven. I also visited in October a couple years ago and there was low humidity and absolutely perfect weather. The maintenance man at the hotel we stayed at in April actually told us he was looking to move to Hawaii because St. Augustine is getting too cold over the years! Bottom line, in the most northern areas of Florida, it is definitely NOT humid and uncomfortable all year long. No way......

Old 04-26-2018, 12:18 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyonunya View Post
I am just curious what decision you ended up making. I am always so amazed at some of the comments I see about Florida, because some of them are simply not true. If you move to the St. Augustine area, the weather is nearly perfect October through April. I just came back from there, at it was actually windy and cold half of the week we were there. There was not much humidity going on at all. In fact, I would have invited some, because there were a couple days it was not pleasant to be outdoors. I was also there last July, and yes, it was an oven. I also visited in October a couple years ago and there was low humidity and absolutely perfect weather. The maintenance man at the hotel we stayed at in April actually told us he was looking to move to Hawaii because St. Augustine is getting too cold over the years! Bottom line, in the most northern areas of Florida, it is definitely NOT humid and uncomfortable all year long. No way......
Please don't tell anyone this.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:27 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Please don't tell anyone this.
It is true though,coastal areas in North Florida have pretty excellent weather for a good chunk of the year and for some tastes can get downright too cold in winter.It gets hot everywhere in Florida but by being on the coast and more north it won't be as bad or last as many months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida