Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2006, 04:37 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,182 times

Advertisements

You are so right Lulu,
we have alot of time to get prepared here. And a direct hit from a hurricane usually doesn't hit in the same place over and over again.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:54 PM

312 posts, read 1,904,892 times
St. Augustine for the small historical town and Port Orange for the popular family town. Sadly, I'm leaving Florida after living here for 15 years, but happily that I'm heading to the Carolina. Moved just because I need a change.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 9,149 times
My husband and I lived in Sarasota and Englewood and though both were great places to live I preferred Englewood.We lived just minutes from the beach and it was just great.I miss it terribly.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:43 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,182 times
Where are you now JK?

Old 07-23-2006, 05:19 PM

4 posts, read 19,110 times
Melbourne/palmbay Thats Where I'll Be Soon

Old 07-23-2006, 05:24 PM

152 posts, read 476,725 times
treasure island, on the gulf of mexico, absolutely beautiful

Old 07-29-2006, 08:39 PM

18 posts, read 57,511 times
bamboosmom, Punta Gord's east side has run down houses and crack cocaine. There is no real beach in Punta Gorda. 30 minutes to Englewood? Not anymore with all the traffic. Punta Gorda is still repairing Hurricane Charley damage. The city has few good restaurants. I wouldn't move there. I would pick Venice over Punta Gorda. At least you have nice beaches and a real seabreeze since you are really by the gulf. Not as overpriced as Punta Gorda Isles

Old 07-29-2006, 09:47 PM

27 posts, read 167,296 times
I lived in Port Charlotte for 6 yrs and was a Realtor back then. I hope I don't get bash for saying this but.... here is what the area is like. My parents still lives there so I visit often.

It's true there is no real beach in Punta Gorda, there is one in Port Charlotte but nothing to 'wow' about because the water is so murky, and that is TRUE.

Englewood has the nicest 'closes' beach to PG and PC and it's a good 30-40 minutes drive to get there from PG & PC (depends which town someone lives in)

Punta Gorda 'Isles' is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! No questions about that. One must not confuse Punta Gorda and Punta Gorda 'Isles' - it's together but totally different (lifestyle, housing and all). The only attraction there is Fisherman's Village. That is the 'happening place' of the weekend. It's very quaint, a real nice place worth visiting if one goes to PG.

There are nice places to see 'around' Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda but you'll need to drive a way or need a boat to get there.

That area has grown immensely in the past 5 yrs. The down side, it's only 'housing' that has grown. One has to drive to Fort Myers for fun. I would have thought that, at the pace it has grown, more would have been brought in for fun... it hasn't happened.

Those 2 towns (Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte) are VERY safe thus. I have to give it that, a great place to raise kids. Someone will definitely feel safe in either of those 2 communities. However, kids will grow to dislike it because of the lack of activities for them. It's even boring for people in their 20's and 30's.

Venice is really the place to go if one wants that area; it's safe, has beautiful beach and much more to do then PG & PC. And it's only 15 minutes drive to Sarasota which offers plenty to do for fun, things to see and do.I would chose Venice before PG, PC or North Port.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:58 PM

7 posts, read 43,423 times
After 27 years in South Florida, I can not for the life of me pick a place. They are either to congested or don't have the clean stores, I have come to love. If Palm Beach weren't so over populated say if we could turn back time even by 15 years I would live here again. The beaches were awesome to go to when I was young and I didn't mind the traffic then. However, now that I have a family to raise, I want out to a place where they still teach respect for others, to be polite and treat others how you want to be treated. Maybe, some northern Florida area have that but I am headed in land away from the Hurricanes and hopefully some of the selfishness that seems to be occuring on a regular basis in S.Florida. Sorry guys enjoy what you can, it is just to hard to raise a family in this kind of environment where social skills are at an all time low.
Still a FLgirl36 until I sell my home like so many other Floridians I know.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:01 PM

25 posts, read 117,586 times
Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida