Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:24 AM

317 posts, read 1,229,276 times

Advertisements

My time was spent in the Space Coast and Merritt Island areas. Not looking good guys. There is alot on the market, in some neighborhoods, in seemed to be a good 10-15% of all the properties, maybe more. BUT, IMHO, Sunrico was right on (hope I am not misrepresenting you here Sun!)..the prices are just way overpriced. Many of them are empty, yet the asking prices are still really really high. Until things settle down, if they ever do, I will probably just stay put. At least here I know what I know about the areas, the neighborhoods, the schools, etc., in Florida, I don't even know what I don't know. It's so damn hard to tell. I looked at a few homes in the 400k price range. I mean these houses looked like they were worth "maybe" 200K as they would basically have to be torn down. Yeah, there were a few that were nice that I found, but damn...a .19 acre lot, with taxes that match NJ when the insurance costs were added on.

On a lighter note, the drivers down there really are crazy! I see what ya'll mean! I think it is a combo of areas being overdeveloped without any supporting infrastructure, combined with the either really old turtle drivers (who are not nice by the way)....god, nobody would ever let me in a lane when I needed to merge...added to the drag racers who seemed to think every green light meant they were entering the Daytona 500. I was scared!!!

Very sad today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 12:07 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Overdeveloped with no infrastructure to support it, slow turtle-drivers and drag racers. Wow, you summed up Florida in a nut shell in your one short post!

Old 01-16-2007, 12:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Nancy, sorry that things turned out that way for you. I was waiting to hear what you thought of things and what you found. It appears that for the moment the only people who will be able to buy houses down there are the very rich.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:49 PM

627 posts, read 2,848,944 times
Now you know what most of us deal with daily.... See, the grass is NOT greener in our back yard.

But, you know, if you are looking to move to Florida and have reasonable home prices, maybe the panhandle is worth a peek. It is very pretty there too!!!

God luck!

Old 01-16-2007, 01:22 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post

My time was spent in the Space Coast and Merritt Island areas. Not looking good guys. There is alot on the market, in some neighborhoods, in seemed to be a good 10-15% of all the properties, maybe more. BUT, IMHO, Sunrico was right on (hope I am not misrepresenting you here Sun!)..the prices are just way overpriced. Many of them are empty, yet the asking prices are still really really high. Until things settle down, if they ever do, I will probably just stay put. At least here I know what I know about the areas, the neighborhoods, the schools, etc., in Florida, I don't even know what I don't know. It's so damn hard to tell. I looked at a few homes in the 400k price range. I mean these houses looked like they were worth "maybe" 200K as they would basically have to be torn down. Yeah, there were a few that were nice that I found, but damn...a .19 acre lot, with taxes that match NJ when the insurance costs were added on.

On a lighter note, the drivers down there really are crazy! I see what ya'll mean! I think it is a combo of areas being overdeveloped without any supporting infrastructure, combined with the either really old turtle drivers (who are not nice by the way)....god, nobody would ever let me in a lane when I needed to merge...added to the drag racers who seemed to think every green light meant they were entering the Daytona 500. I was scared!!!

Very sad today.
Welcome To The Florida Lifestyle!!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:21 PM

Wink Another chuckle from my trip

I hope I don't offend any realtors on this forum. My best friend is a realtor and I have been fortunate enough to work with some great ones.

But......the realtor in the Sat Beach area, showed up to pick me up in his bright red VIPER!!! Big blaring gold rolex and all! I mean, geez, I could hardly get in and out of the thing!

The one in Merritt Island...I nicknamed her "Mrs. GOT ROCKS"! She had on more diamonds in more places....geez! In many ways, I felt like a "small fry" in their presence.

You know, guys, I know there are lots of people with alot of money. Up here, I have to say, for the most part - not always - or maybe it is just the kind of people I am around - but those that DO have money, are very understated about it.

Whattyathink? Mrs GOT ROCKS HAS GOTTA GO!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:29 PM

Thumbs up The nicest people were...

"the kids" who worked in the restaurants that I ate at.

And you know what else?????? I stayed in some cheezy hotels to save as much as I could on the trip....and they were still damn expensive!!!!! One "motel" in Sat Beach/Indian Habor was used as a partial dormitory for college students, and it still costs me $85 bucks for the night!

Oh, well, I am passing the time here as I was SUPPOSED to have a phone interview with a company in Naples at 4:00 -- but it appears I might have been blown off. Similar thing happened with a phone interview I had with a company in Melbourne. They asked me to rewrite their website content so that "they could get a feel for my creative writing"....I spent HOURS on it and it was one of my better pieces of work. Guess what? I called....did you receive it. Answer, yup, we did, we'll get back to ya. That was 3 weeks ago!

......Luv you guys and your support on this forum.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Nancy Lynee - Thank you for letting everyone know your opinion. People on here for the most part are telling the truth like it is. Some exaggerate somethings. But, over all it is all like it is. Those $400,000 dollar houses you saw, were probably $150,000 in 2001.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Florida is filled with the nouveau riche. Tacky idiots that never learned any manners.

Oh, and Nancy, if you think where you visited was bad, you should see Naples! I'd forget about that interview.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Kids and being accepted

One of the other things that struck me was the following in Sat Beach for example:

They were some REALLY REALLY pricy gated neighborhoods which, of course, I didn't even bother to go near! Tortoise Island - $1M and up, Lansing Island, $2M and up! I got the feeling from the realtor that the kids in those elite neighborhoods didn't really associate with the kids in "the lower class " neighborhoods. Yet, they would go to the same school. WOW! Our towns here are pretty much consistent. You have a few upper crusters, but mostly all middle class. You can move to a ritzy town like Rumson, where you would have to keep up with the Joneses, but with Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi living there, I would bet it would be pretty tough....except for the Wall Streeters, that I see flying back and forth to work over my house in their private helicopters.

Oh my, this nation is truly in trouble for us middle folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida