Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 05:30 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,647 times

Advertisements

From Todays Ledger:

Sports Mecca In the Making | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 09:22 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
Mark I just read that this a.m. - isn't that wonderful? For some reason it seems that Polk County gets overlooked and underrated as a wonderful place to be. I still maintain that the Lakeland-Auburndale-Winter Haven area is among the best areas in Florida to live for a number of reasons. This region gets overlooked on this forum, but I think if people took the time to come here and discover for themselves what it has to offer they would be very surprised at how nice it actually is.

Until then, I guess we can have it to ourselves!

Old 07-05-2008, 10:08 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
I don't want to be a downer on the issue as gypsychic knows all too well that I'm not a fan of Polk County.

Anyways..

What's going on in Florida ? Granted, I haven't lived in the state in about 5 years but seriously, Gov. Charlie Crist buys a part of the Everglades for $1.75 billion. The City of Miami is set to rebuild a few parks, put money into the Marlins new stadium and is fixing to build an underwater toll tunnel next to a bridge that goes the same place for $900 million. Now, I see Polk County is building a sports complex that will provide millions to the economy ( actually to fast food chains, hotels, gas stations, ect, ect who's employees make a cool $6.50/hr ) and the same employees that are making that $6.50/hr also get to pay to build it with their tax dollars. How nice.

The part that gets me the most is, " 20 full-time employees and uses 40 to 50 volunteers " So.. It's not even bringing more jobs to an economy that needs jobs BAD.

Tourism isn't going to save Florida and once gas prices get high enough, people will cancel their trips to play in Polk Counties brand new complex. Seriously what's the point ? What does a sports complex do to help the average person in Florida that's trying to keep their head above water ?

The 1.75 billion used to buy land from a sugar company, The 900 million to build a tunnel, and whatever it's going to cost to build this sports park, Why couldn't the state take that money and offer to give people breaks ? Lower property taxes maybe ? use the money to lure major companies to move their HQ to the state to increase jobs ?

I'm sure I'll get hammered on this, but I don't care. I hate to see my native land going down the toilet when it all could have been prevented.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Mark I just read that this a.m. - isn't that wonderful? For some reason it seems that Polk County gets overlooked and underrated as a wonderful place to be. I still maintain that the Lakeland-Auburndale-Winter Haven area is among the best areas in Florida to live for a number of reasons. This region gets overlooked on this forum, but I think if people took the time to come here and discover for themselves what it has to offer they would be very surprised at how nice it actually is.

Until then, I guess we can have it to ourselves!
Polk County has a great opportunity to set itself up for some serious growth in the future. From what I have seen so far they are doing it smart. The new USF campus is going to be a catalyst for great things to come. I just hope that the county and towns continue to work together to springboard off of this and try to bring in some high tech companies into the area. This will all play into the "High Tech Corridor" vision, from Tampa to Orlando along I-4.

In my opinion northern Polk along I-4 has the most potential for the county's growth and Polk has enough warehouse and distribution business. Let’s see some high tech manufacturing, research and development, and medical research facilities come to the area. East Orlando is heading in that direction with the new UCF medical School and Burnham Institute planned over by the Lake Nona area. That area will just explode once all of that is complete. The new USF Polytechnic college is the first step in the right direction for Lakeland and surrounding areas.

Polk County has A LOT of primo land along I-4 and close to it as well. I just hope they don't let a bunch more warehouse and distribution centers purchase it up. We need to raise the bar here and start bringing in these high tech and professional jobs. Otherwise with all of these colleges out here the majority of the graduates will just continue to leave the county to where the jobs are.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
I don't want to be a downer on the issue as gypsychic knows all too well that I'm not a fan of Polk County.

Anyways..

What's going on in Florida ? Granted, I haven't lived in the state in about 5 years but seriously, Gov. Charlie Crist buys a part of the Everglades for $1.75 billion. The City of Miami is set to rebuild a few parks, put money into the Marlins new stadium and is fixing to build an underwater toll tunnel next to a bridge that goes the same place for $900 million. Now, I see Polk County is building a sports complex that will provide millions to the economy ( actually to fast food chains, hotels, gas stations, ect, ect who's employees make a cool $6.50/hr ) and the same employees that are making that $6.50/hr also get to pay to build it with their tax dollars. How nice.

The part that gets me the most is, " 20 full-time employees and uses 40 to 50 volunteers " So.. It's not even bringing more jobs to an economy that needs jobs BAD.

Tourism isn't going to save Florida and once gas prices get high enough, people will cancel their trips to play in Polk Counties brand new complex. Seriously what's the point ? What does a sports complex do to help the average person in Florida that's trying to keep their head above water ?

The 1.75 billion used to buy land from a sugar company, The 900 million to build a tunnel, and whatever it's going to cost to build this sports park, Why couldn't the state take that money and offer to give people breaks ? Lower property taxes maybe ? use the money to lure major companies to move their HQ to the state to increase jobs ?

I'm sure I'll get hammered on this, but I don't care. I hate to see my native land going down the toilet when it all could have been prevented.
I agree tourism is not going to save Florida. I think we need to focus on high tech industries and manufacturing. More professional jobs that pay a wage to support a cost of living in line with a safe and comfortable existance here. Florida needs to improve on it's quality of life factors for it's residents (professional jobs, wages, public safety, education, and healthcare).

Old 07-05-2008, 11:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
I agree tourism is not going to save Florida. I think we need to focus on high tech industries and manufacturing. More professional jobs that pay a wage to support a cost of living in line with a safe and comfortable existance here. Florida needs to improve on it's quality of life factors for it's residents (professional jobs, wages, public safety, education, and healthcare).
I agree with this also, and I do think Polk County is headed in the right direction with the new USF campus and development in the "high-tech" corridor. I think the new university focusing on polytechnic programs will bring more of the industries that Florida needs, and with it better and higher-paying jobs. With all I am seeing, I do think the area is about to explode in the next few years - unfortunately right now economic issues are slowing things down a bit. Still, things are still happening in the area, just not as quickly as they would have in the past.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:56 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
Quote:
I didn't mean my post as a putdown to anyone. I was just curious why all the money is being spent on worthless things.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:27 AM

6 posts, read 12,546 times
I do believe the 1.75 billion sugar purchase is to restore part of the wetlands that supply most of southern florida with fresh drinking water - so not exactly worthless...

I do believe there is wasteful spending - but so often people get up in arms about 'wasteful government spending' when they really have very little info on the subject.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:56 PM

331 posts, read 1,544,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Now, I see Polk County is building a sports complex that will provide millions to the economy ( actually to fast food chains, hotels, gas stations, ect, ect who's employees make a cool $6.50/hr ) and the same employees that are making that $6.50/hr also get to pay to build it with their tax dollars. How nice.
Oh, how dare you?! Haven't you heard the good news? These days it must be at least $6.79/hr, but some places have enough grace to start you at the whole 7 bucks! And those generous hiring managers almost never fail to inform you that there's no state income tax in Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida