Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:50 AM

517 posts, read 1,806,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
What is "culture" in your opinion? I think that "lack of culture" is one of the most vague statements someone can make about a place.
ok- you're right- it is vague.

I mean that as far as the restaurants. I can only compare to NJ- but I also understand it is a different state.

Here, no matter what kind of food you want- it can be found. I can have chinese today, portuguese tomorrow, then Cuban, then Mexican.
I know not every place will have that but I would miss that.
A friend of mine misses that in NC and now I see what she means after visiting FL.

I guess that's what makes NJ, NJ! Very diverse (people, their culture and customs and the food).

Was not trying to put FL down- just an observation and something I would miss. Then again- it's probably a better respresentation of the US than Jersey. I don't know- haven't been to too many different states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 12:45 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Hahaha, I didn't intend to come off so dry either! Thanks for your opinion!

What part of NJ are you in? Oddly enough every time I go to Monmouth County I notice how less there is in food variety than there is by me. If you live in Jersey City or New Brunswick, different story. Then again, Florida is a huge state and if I moved to say, Ocala (no offense to Ocala!), I better learn how to become a master chef!

Old 07-06-2008, 01:05 PM

Here I live near Middletown (Rt. 35 & 36). Not that I have them in my town but they are close enough. We have chinese, italian, portuguese, mexican. Usually I would go up to Newark, Elizabeth or anywhere in Union County. I don't live in those areas anymore but they are convenient to where I live and where I work.

I was in Palm Coast/Ocala/ Daytona Beach and Orlanda- too many chains!
The portuguese restaurant made me very happy

Old 07-06-2008, 01:48 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Where did you find the Portuguese restaurant? That`s my nationality was born in Providence RI.

I didnt know there was any around here.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Smile Portuguese info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Where did you find the Portuguese restaurant? That`s my nationality was born in Providence RI.

I didnt know there was any around here.
Hi Alphaman.

I am also Portuguese so I was very happy to find a place down there. My parents are retiring to Palm Coast (between St. Augustine and Orlando).

Portugalia Restaurant
1 Commercial Court
32137 Palm Coast, Florida
-------------------------------
Portuguese Restaurant
15 Palm Harbor Village
32137 Palm Coast, Florida

Search for Portuguese Barbeque.

I think I went to the second one. It was a Churasqueirra. There was a restaurant and a pastry shop in the same strip. Also, a few minutes away is the Palm Coast Portuguese Club (social club). Probably close to what you had up north- we have some in Jersey.
My parents tell me there is a nice portuguese community there (portuguese parade in June, and araiais (outdoor feast).

Tell me what you think. Where are you located?
M

Old 07-06-2008, 03:41 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Sounds nice and after all this time living in Florida I find out Portuguese community`s are here? Wow you learn new things every day.

I`m in Orlando I will have to go over that way and check it out.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:46 PM

It only took us 1- 1/2 hrs. from Disney (epcot) and the Space Center) last week. Nice area. Palm Coast. We ate - 3 people- 1 chicken, rice, fries and 3 sodas for $16 + $2-4 tip for $20.00. Can't beat that. Also, they automatically bring Port. bread, zeitonas, butter, cheese and persunto!

It was too late or we would've tried the pastry shop. Never got to see the other restaurant in another location (1st address) because there wasn't enough time. The portuguese club is just minutes away from Churasqueirra.

I hope you enjoy!

Old 07-06-2008, 04:22 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Sounds nice and after all this time living in Florida I find out Portuguese community`s are here? Wow you learn new things every day.

I`m in Orlando I will have to go over that way and check it out.

They also have a Portugese club in on SR50 in Winter Garden.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:38 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It appears many people on this forum compare their present situation to the fantasy they've created in their head about "the other place."

"High paying jobs" and "Tennessee," for example, while the median income in Florida is 44k/year, and it's 40k/year in TN.
Florida has multi-millionaire's living there for weather/beaches.

I've lived there. You would need almost 4 people making the typical Florida $6.50/hr to hit 44k.

I worked in Tampa at an Albertsons making $6.25/hr the last time I lived there because it's all I could find that would call back.

Moved to Nashville and was hired off the street by Kroger for $12.50/hr.

Yeah, keep believing the flawed numbers.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:39 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
It would make more sense to compare places that have something in common. I don't see that Florida and Tennessee have anything in common AT ALL.

Tell that to the literally THOUSANDS of Floridans moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida