Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:07 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post

Tell that to the literally THOUSANDS of Floridans moving here.

Yea and give it ten years and it will be worse then Florida and have the crappy cold and snow. All yours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 05:12 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Yea and give it ten years and it will be worse then Florida and have the crappy cold and snow. All yours
Actually, It has already gotten bad.

There was a story on the news several weeks ago about how northerners are now looking to retire in Tennessee because they can get things cheaper then in Florida due to the economy/housing situations and the winters aren't THAT bad here.

People are moving here in droves, People in Florida are going to be saying to themselves " yeah right, whatever " but it's true. I'm a manager for a construction company here in Nashville and we build houses it seems non-stop for Floridians and Californians, We also seem to get a large number of people from New Jersey.

Anyways, with all the people moving here, All the jobs are going away and the real estate prices are sky-rocketing. That's why my family is considering a move to Texas, which is why I have the username that I do.

The un-employment rate here has risin from like 2% to 7% and keeps climing.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:17 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Yeah some areas of Texas are cheap to live and still has the milder weather along the coast, a good alternative for people wanting to get away from the cold and snow.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Yeah some areas of Texas are cheap to live and still has the milder weather along the coast, a good alternative for people wanting to get away from the cold and snow.
Yeah, we're headed to Houston.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:54 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Yeah, we're headed to Houston.
Yeah but you will be SURROUNDED BY CRIMINALS AND SEX OFFENDERS.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Yeah but you will be SURROUNDED BY CRIMINALS AND SEX OFFENDERS.
Criminals and Sex Offenders are EVERYWHERE... obviously the numbers will be higher in the larger, warmer, states.

Florida, Texas, and California

Old 07-06-2008, 08:54 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:

Tell that to the literally THOUSANDS of Floridans moving here.
All I am saying is that people who would consider a move to a place like TN, are willing to give up any kind of lifestyle like you have in Florida.

I would consider South Carolina and North Carolina LONG before I would TN.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:23 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
I like South Carolina a lot, it has a compelled to reply gold seal of approval.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:22 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
I have been to Florida recently for the first time so I can only base it on that. Of course, that's not the same as someone who has been living there for some time.

The one complaint on my visit to the Orlando area was the lack of ethnic or original places to eat. We were so busy going to Disney and The Space Center and just wanted a good place to eat where we were staying.
All we could find was chain after chain after chain. Our time was very limited so we just drove through Daytona Beach and were hoping to grab a bite to eat- more chains. Even the beach front has no restaurants- where do they eat?

Luckily we found a restaurant near where we were staying that was not a chain but it took a long while. (1hr north of Orlando)

Believe me, I loved eating in chains for the first few days but finally got to the point that I want a close to home cooked meal out.

Florida is beautiful but I can't imagine the lack of culture that I'm used to in Jersey. Does anyone feel the same?
Remember, I am only basing this on a few days- maybe it's just the area where I was.
LOL I'm laughing because I don't eat out much but isn't it EPCOT that has several different "countries" in there with cuisine from all over the world?

I don't think rushing around in a tourist mode gives anyone a true picture of where/how people really live as far as restaurants go, there are not in abundance anywhere or mediocre anyway.It's usually better to plan in advance where you're going to eat on vacation ime, versus driving around.Ruth's Chris has a steakhouse in Orlando, a "chain" but pretty decent chain. If you eat meat which I really don't....there's also a thread here with several suggestions in Ft Lauderdale and not chains. (just by example)

here's a bunch that came up on the very first google hit that all sound independent, non chain

Top 20 Orlando Restaurants in Orlando, Florida by Orlandoescape.com

Here in Vero beach I'm surprised to find about 7 local nice looking restaurants all over towards the beach but have no idea about the food. Not a single one between my house and there though, it's about 4 miles.

My favorite restaurant on the Lower East Side of NY is non descript looking but it's been there 75 years but you may not even think to look at it (luckily lol).

That being said, I just moved from Philly and you cannot compare downtown Phila to most places in FL... it is known as a restaurant capital. (albeit in the City of Murder LOL)

The suburbs of Philly and NJ are mostly chains, too if you're just driving around on major roads. Except for a few mom and pop places that are nothing more than chain-like IMO. Using frozen stuff to make up a sauce with some frozen protein yuk.

I've been all over NJ and don't see these restaurants you're referencing either. Chambersburg in Trenton, yes, Italian. I lived in Bucks County and can name maybe two that I'd bother to go to. You really have to drive around up there too, and know where you're going.

Once I worked for a chef part time when I lived in Lambertville NJ and they opened next door to me, thinking I'd learn alot. I sure did. His lasagna was Stouffers family sized LOL. People are used to the sodium fast food now.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-07-2008 at 05:33 AM..

Old 07-07-2008, 06:18 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Florida has multi-millionaire's living there for weather/beaches.

I've lived there. You would need almost 4 people making the typical Florida $6.50/hr to hit 44k.

I worked in Tampa at an Albertsons making $6.25/hr the last time I lived there because it's all I could find that would call back.

Moved to Nashville and was hired off the street by Kroger for $12.50/hr.

Yeah, keep believing the flawed numbers.

What's "flawed" about the numbers? Those are STATISTICS, and they are variable controlled. They aren't comparing two different situations of 6 people/household in Florida to 2 people/household in Tennessee.

I live here NOW. My 18 year old brother got a part-time job at a Comcast call center making $10-$11 a year ago, and since moved on to a department store (again, part time) for more money.

And...$12/hr. won't get you to 44k/year.

But you did the right thing. If your skill set didn't find you a job "here", you left for "there".... and good for you. But please note that not all of us share your situation, and that you don't speak for a state you don't even live in anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida