Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:00 PM

944 posts, read 3,850,920 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just returned from vacation in upstate NY. We spent a good deal of time discussing if we'd ever move back to Rochester, which naturally led to a discussion about quality of life. I'm just wondering what you use to compare Florida to other places. For me it's difficult because Florida is very different than most other places in the U.S. For example, if you compared Buffalo and Cleveland, they'd be pretty close, but how do you compare, say, Burlington and St. Pete?

One big plus for upstate is that, despite the supposed crappy weather, we spent a lot of time outside. However, there is a cultural complacency in upstate that bugs me. Worse, many obnoxious behaviors that I thought were Florida-specific are just as out-of-control up there (tailgating, lane-changing, cursing in public, etc.).

Anyway, I'm interested in your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 06:19 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,520,591 times
My family is in NEOH & my dh's family is in Mass.

That was our comparision.

Seeing our families once or twice a year, at this time in our lives with young children, was why we worked so hard to get back. Driving 26 hrs in a car with toddlers is not enjoyable. Our drives now to see family are 20 mins up to 8 hours...much more practical.

SWFL was due to job circumstances. We were well aware of all that came with the move. The other choice my dh had was not even considered. Our situation was unique.

SWFL had its good points, but it didn't have our families.

There was nothing else to compare for us.

And tailgating & cursing, that's across the US

Muggy, places are just DIFFERENT. What appeals to one person is another's nightmare.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,676,697 times
Default You situation similar to mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
My family is in NEOH & my dh's family is in Mass.

That was our comparision.

Seeing our families once or twice a year, at this time in our lives with young children, was why we worked so hard to get back. Driving 26 hrs in a car with toddlers is not enjoyable. Our drives now to see family are 20 mins up to 8 hours...much more practical.

SWFL was due to job circumstances. We were well aware of all that came with the move. The other choice my dh had was not even considered. Our situation was unique.

SWFL had its good points, but it didn't have our families.

There was nothing else to compare for us.

And tailgating & cursing, that's across the US

Muggy, places are just DIFFERENT. What appeals to one person is another's nightmare.
I only saw one of my daughters once in an entire year. It was heartbreaking when she left.

Yes, I also spent more time outdoors in NY than here. I hibernated in the summers up North and it was nowhere near as hot as year round here.

I lived in central Florida decades ago. In comparison to SW Florida, it was better, not great either, but better. Nowhere near as hot.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,460,172 times
I moved to Florida in 2001. I was 36 at the time. Prior to this I had lived in both Massachusetts and Texas, splitting about half my life in each place. I had also spent time with family in Colorado and California and being dragged through all but about 3-4 of the other states by my parents who were semi retired by the time I was born.

As a child Mass and playing in the snow was GREAT, when I returned there for college, the cold was too much for me.

The lack of cold weather to the degree you find in the NE was great in Texas however the LONG dry summers of Texas killed me. We could go for a month at a time with NO rain, 100 degrees everyday and no lower then 90 at night. It was TOO much. I also missed access to the ocean like we had in Mass. In Texas I lived just a little South of Fort Worth.

I love living in Florida, the weather is ideal for me. I still feel a presence of Southern hospitality but there are enough people from the NE here for me to feel at home as well.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:49 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,905,322 times
I dislike Florida alot these days and it sucks because I'm a native. ( born in Orlando )

I compare Florida to Tennessee in many ways...

Tennessee has alot of high paying jobs, Florida has alot of McDonalds openings.

Tennessee has 4 seasons, snow in the winter, and a beautiful fall and spring. Florida is pretty much 90 in the summer and 80 in the winter.

Houses, insurance, and cost of living are GREAT in Tennessee, In Florida... well.. you already know.

And finally, In Tennessee we have a lower paced lifestyle and aside from Memphis, we are not too crime infested, Florida on the other hand... not so much.

( waiting on compelled to reply to come talk crime stats )

Old 07-05-2008, 07:00 PM

561 posts, read 1,924,987 times
I came here in 2003 and since then had 2 children here. I tried to compare here to Connecticut (where i am from), and instantly realized there is no comparison for me. I am making the best I can here for now until we can move back to CT where we will have the quality of life we were used to and desire again.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:03 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,905,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
I came here in 2003 and since then had 2 children here. I tried to compare here to Connecticut (where i am from), and instantly realized there is no comparison for me. I am making the best I can here for now until we can move back to CT where we will have the quality of life we were used to and desire again.
I feel for you, I've been there. The weather and beaches are great until reality of the economy and job market hits you in the face.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:17 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,930,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
( waiting on compelled to reply to come talk crime stats )
Every time you post yours, they are always wrong . Look, it's all about your perception. If you feel safer, that's all that matters ! Remember that Orlando is not Florida, Orlando is a part of Florida. Even South Florida is safer than Orlando nowadays.

Anyway, what do I use for comparison? I try to generally compare FL to everywhere else I have been. I'm not a full blown world traveler but I have been to a lot of states and cities, pretty much every major east coast or southern city between Boston and Miami, throughout the midwest, Texas, California, etc. Haven't really been to the SW (Phoenix/Scottsdale once), NW or deep into New England. I just try to compare what I see around me, try to talk to some of the locals about how they feel about their place (even if I am staying for only a week), and I will intentionally drive myself through "da hood" or wherever the equivalent is. I am very fascinated with place so to me it's second nature. I had it narrowed down to either Atlanta or Ft. Lauderdale, and after a miserable months stay in Atlanta, I decided that the only thing the area has going for it (to me) is cheap housing and "friendly" people. It has other amenities too but it's nothing worth breathing brown air or sitting in traffic literally all day for. I already knew what Ft. Lauderdale was (after all I went to high school down here) and decided I wouldn't mind coming back. No, the "changes" and pesky third worlders didn't "ruin" it in a matter of four years!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-05-2008 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-05-2008, 07:18 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,432,069 times
It appears many people on this forum compare their present situation to the fantasy they've created in their head about "the other place."

"High paying jobs" and "Tennessee," for example, while the median income in Florida is 44k/year, and it's 40k/year in TN.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:19 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,460,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It appears many people on this forum compare their present situation to the fantasy they've created in their head about "the other place."

"High paying jobs" and "Tennessee," for example, while the median income in Florida is 44k/year, and it's 40k/year in TN.
It would make more sense to compare places that have something in common. I don't see that Florida and Tennessee have anything in common AT ALL.

I believe most people move to Florida for the weather, it would make sense to compare Florida to California. Yes you get paid more there but dear god, I can't imagine how much it would cost to buy my house there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida