Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 9,738 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am a resident of Massachusetts at the present.
I have been reading your comments for the past couple of days along with doing my own foot work in regards to research.
My husband is being relocated to SW Florida, he works out of our home so we are not made to live in a particular county.
I have two children a 5 and 4 year old; I am looking for a family community and schools that meet(prefrebly exceed) the standards.
I look forward to your correspondance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 06:18 AM

41 posts, read 144,443 times
Look into the North Port area. Go to cityofnorthport.com for info.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:42 AM

185 posts, read 746,217 times
Check out Charlotte County. Port Charlotte,Punta Gorda,Deepcreek & Englewood. This area is still pretty clean and most of the damage from Charlie has been cleaned up.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 9,738 times
I have heard good things about both North Port and Port Charlotte. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:47 AM

42 posts, read 254,364 times
Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda~very nice! Still quite affordable, not too, too crowded yet.

Fort Myers~ While I *love* Fort Myers, the crime is really rising. There are only pockets of desirable neighborhoods.

Cape Coral~ It's ok :-) I lived there for a few years. Quick commute to Fort Myers.

Naples~ too $$$$$.

(I don't know of any SWFL counties with great schools. There are supposed to be some good schools here and there but not all in a particular area. That's why we homeschool. :-)

Last edited by FLsunshine; 01-18-2007 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Add info.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:12 PM

33 posts, read 177,506 times
Ft Myers schools OK, crime rate not so ok.
Cape coral schools not as good as FT myers, but crime rate lower than Ft Myers.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,954 times
Don't believe what you hear about Fort Myers. There's only one neighborhood called Pine Manor that I wouldn't dare walk in, but it's isolated from everything there. It's safe, and great to raise a family in. Look at neighborhoods off of McGregor Blvd. Lee County does have a great school system despite what you might hear. I went to Fort Myers High, rated one of the best in the nation.

I couldn't imagine growing up anywhere else. Don't torture your kids and live in Cape Coral, they'll be bored to death; unless they find empty lots and canals exciting.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:33 PM

35 posts, read 174,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
Don't believe what you hear about Fort Myers. There's only one neighborhood called Pine Manor that I wouldn't dare walk in, but it's isolated from everything there. It's safe, and great to raise a family in. Look at neighborhoods off of McGregor Blvd. Lee County does have a great school system despite what you might hear. I went to Fort Myers High, rated one of the best in the nation.

I couldn't imagine growing up anywhere else. Don't torture your kids and live in Cape Coral, they'll be bored to death; unless they find empty lots and canals exciting.

I am so glad to see somewhat finally say something positive about Fort Myers. It is a scary thought thinking that everything is bad about a place. There has to be some positive somewhere!

Old 01-19-2007, 03:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Well, there is more bad areas than Pine Manor. The poster neglected to mention the Dunbar/MLK area. I think that area is worse than Pine Manor, and that is saying something. Dunbar is also right next to the small downtown area. Heading to the east of Dunbar isn't really great, either.

In other words, Pine Manor is bad, but it is at least fairly contained. However, it does spill out to the nearby hotels. I always feel bad for the tourists that stop there.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:14 PM

33 posts, read 177,506 times
Noone is doubting the A rating that Ft Myers high school received.
The crime rate is statistically higher, thats all.
Compare here @ City-data.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida