Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2007, 02:05 PM

11 posts, read 68,494 times

Advertisements

I was checking the weather today and I noticed that north Florida is under a Wind Advisory tommorow. Winds will be sustained at 20-25 mph and gusts around 30. Is this a common occurance? Living in Wisconsin, I think I have rarely seen these advisories. It is windy all the time, especially in the winter time. When I went to work today, the temp was one below with a wind chill of about ten below, and I didn't think it was that bad out when you are dressed properly. Are people in other states just more accustomed to winds and cold than people in Florida??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 02:08 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times
No, I'd say it's definately not normal. At least in Central Florida. Of course if you're along the coast it will be more breezy than inland, but all and all it isn't windy enough if you ask me....

Of course I'm originally from Chicago, so.....

Old 01-16-2007, 02:15 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,189,453 times
West Coast Winds

In summer the winds are about 2-5 mph except during intense thunderstorms where they can gus up to about 25 mph.

In fall, maybe 5-10 mph on average.

In winter, when the cold fronts start sweeping the state: As front approaches, winds out of the South East blow toward the front at about 20 - 25 mph, and as the front passes, they can be as high as 20 - 25 mph out of the North West.

In spring, winds are still generated by fronts,but more like 15 mph. Some Thermal action in late afternoon generates Easterly breezes at about 15 mph.

East Coast Winds

In summer - dead, maybe 2-3 mph except during thunderstorms

In fall - still dead, unless we get a cold front, then out of the North at 15 mph

In winter - similar to West Coast, except winds have a tendancy to blow from the South prior to the front passing and then from the North East as the front passes.

In the spring: Good thermal action all through out the spring with winds blowing consistantly from 15 mph to 20 mph in late afternoon.

Inland
very little wind except during cold fronts and thunderstorms.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:55 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
The temparature drop 30 plus degrees since yesterday, is windy....

Gulf Breeze, FL

Current Conditions:
As reported at KPNS, Pensacola Arpt..
Last update Tue 16 Jan 2007 2:53 PM CST.

Cloudy Cloudy
44°F

Feels Like: 37°F
UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: From the NNW at 16 mph
Humidity: 68 %
Visibility: 10.00 miles
Barometer: 30.29 inches and Rising

Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
No, I'd say it's definately not normal. At least in Central Florida. Of course if you're along the coast it will be more breezy than inland, but all and all it isn't windy enough if you ask me....

Of course I'm originally from Chicago, so.....
Fury, I read something interesting a while back about Chicago. I had always thought it was called the "windy city" because of actual wind. The article said it got that name because of the politicians they had in the past.

Root, I'm also from the north and have family that live down in Fla. My bro grew up here and said that Fla. has very little wind compared to us. Like the others said, it's unusual for them to have wind and it's very normal for us. Guess that's why we're putting those wind turbines to generate electricity. I don't know about you, but I could go for that 44 degrees in the panhandle.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
The following site keep track of weather records: http://www.weatherbase.com/?refer=

Old 01-16-2007, 08:18 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Fury, I read something interesting a while back about Chicago. I had always thought it was called the "windy city" because of actual wind. The article said it got that name because of the politicians they had in the past.
That may very well be. It was mostly meant as tongue in cheek, though the wind off Lake Michigan up there is no joke. Takes 10 degrees and makes it feel like -20 at the snap of a finger......

I don't remember it as so much a high gust sort of wind, but rather a constant 5-10 MPH breeze that just made it so much more harsh....

Anyway, sorry about the tangent....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: