Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 AM

17 posts, read 96,436 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Florida forever and grew up running around in the Panhandle woods. I've seen -tons- of alligators and have canoed past some close enough to touch. I've stepped on a snake with barefeet (a pygmy rattler), shot a coral snake, been chased by a moccasin, had a small cornsnake fall down the front of my shirt, and killed numerous rattlers with my car. [I've even seen a black bear in the woods (which was the most frightening time in my life).]

Seriously though . . . besides my female cat wanting to feed me snakes when my boyfriend is gone on extended business trips, I have NEVER had a problem with alligators or snakes. I stay in my turf, they normally stay in theirs. I'm not stupid . . . I don't go swimming in random lakes where alligators might lurk, I don't walk along the edge of dark water, and when I canoe through the river/marsh I stay in my canoe. I don't poke sticks at snakes, try and squeeze down into gopher tortoise holes, or leave piles of leaves/sticks/trees laying around my yard.

With all that said, I HATE HATE HATE snakes. When my cat brings the half-dead things into the house, I cry and cry and cry a little more. Then, I throw a towel over it and cover that up with a big box/trash can until my guy can get home to remove it from the living room floor. In all of my misadventures with the stupid little creatures (see: poisouness snake under barefoot, rat/corn snake down shirt, evil moccasin, and off-roading in my Civic just to kill the rattler who thought he could cross the road and live), I've never been bitten, nor have I ever known anyone whose been bitten.

Alligators and snakes live in Florida. It's life and it's okay. Don't be afraid to move here just because of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:46 PM

464 posts, read 1,735,542 times
Maybe what ill do is this : Each weekend, ill go to the Pet Store nearby and hold a small Boa Constrictor that they have there , talk to it, and try to make peace with snakes before buying a place in Florida . Its a shame to not retire in Florida because of a creature God created which am scared of ; Im hopeful in time I can look at and touch snakes without any fear involved. If i moved to Florida , I wouldnt mind seeing a snake or two every now and then, but, I dont want to be infested with them in my Yard . That would be a turnoff.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,816,637 times
I live in Marion county and out here we have wild pigs, snakes, bears, even had a couple of alligators in our back yard before...

The first night my parents and I moved out here, when I was 11 or so, I woke up to find a snake in the kitchen at 6am.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:24 AM

464 posts, read 1,735,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
I live in Marion county and out here we have wild pigs, snakes, bears, even had a couple of alligators in our back yard before...

The first night my parents and I moved out here, when I was 11 or so, I woke up to find a snake in the kitchen at 6am.
I think I would have ran away from home right then and there !

Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,798,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Maybe what ill do is this : Each weekend, ill go to the Pet Store nearby and hold a small Boa Constrictor that they have there , talk to it, and try to make peace with snakes before buying a place in Florida . Its a shame to not retire in Florida because of a creature God created which am scared of ; Im hopeful in time I can look at and touch snakes without any fear involved. If i moved to Florida , I wouldnt mind seeing a snake or two every now and then, but, I dont want to be infested with them in my Yard . That would be a turnoff.
Actually, that's exactly what you need to do. Yes it's a shame and not necessary ! And really, the only thing to be afraid of is the venomous ones. But no snake is looking for trouble.

I bought a pet shop (in a former unenlightened life) and had to learn and practice with the snakes because I was scared too and you cannot be in that business and have any fears. You have to be able to handle them and show the customers etc. They are not always happy to be in confinement and stressed in that environment.

The pet store guys can show you with one on the floor how they act and how to gently lift one up with a broom or something, there's nothing to it. A small boa is nothing and even the large 11 foot ones are very calm and if used to people, they are a non issue. You cannot smell like animal though so don't pet your dog before walking in the store if you want to handle some.

They have poor eyesight so that's part of the problem. And they get scared easily since they are easy prey.

The black racers are the most scary looking because they are "active" LOL I used to order 5 foot ones that nobody wanted from my wholesaler and have my guys think the bag was something else for a joke when they had to wrestle one out of the bag lOL.

Snakes are gentle, reclusive, and try to live without bothering anyone. They need sun to live and live food. And some water and a yearly shed. It is very easy to remove a snake from right in front of you but obviously not a good idea to mess with it if you don't know what you're doing especially alone, if it's venomous. PEACEFULLY AND GENTLY NOT WITH A HONDA.

You can buy a snake hook thing to gently scoop one up and just put it in a bucket or walk it over to the woods. It's not like it's a spitting cobra spitting at your eyeballs from 5 feet away LOL.

The problem is when humans and snakes collide inadvertently and I have to tell you I drove to the airport 1.5 hrs after your post and had the fear there was one in my car because i noticed my garage has big openings in the bottom (on purpose) LOLOL.

This is not a deal breaker just you have to weigh the risk of CHOSING to live in the WOODS over the benefits.

Alligators I wouldn't give a moments concern over. Just the poor snake who is sitting in your walkway with no ability to run away from you before someone smashes him on the head for no reason.

To the person who said "off-roading in my Civic just to kill the rattler who thought he could cross the road and live)"......

Please don't do that, the snake was put on earth with his own agenda and wasn't bothering anybody, especially you, in a car.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,093,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Im seriously considering moving to either Levy, Dixie, or Gilchrist Counties (west of Gainesville/Ocala) from another State. I will want to purchase a Mobile Home in the country and in a wooded area possibly close to lakes and rivers. Are there alligators near these bodies of water or large numbers of snakes on land in wooded areas ? Are some poisinous ? Thanks.
Snakes and alligators should be the LAST thing to worry about....

They aren't going to bother you if you do not bother them. If I were you, I would be more worried about the neighbors.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,202,043 times
Angry Yes There Are Snakes In Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21 View Post
There are snakes all over the south. Thats just the way it is. As far as gators there as far north as georgia and alabama. If you want to get away from snakes you should take a look at Hawaii. Its the only place I've lived where there were no snakes.
There are brown snakes in Hawaii....they come over on the bananna boats on the bananna's and have made it out into the wild....where unfortunately they thrive......they are venomous...and from time to time will crawl up the septic lines and make it up to the bowl.......I guess a HOT SEAT!!!!...they are also destroying some of the bird population and other small ground animals....

Old 07-13-2008, 08:58 AM

10 posts, read 54,688 times
Just like the brown snakes that have invaded Hawaii, Florida now is dealing with an expanding Burmese Python population caused by people turning loose their pet snakes that have just gotten too large for them to handle. There are pictures on the news, in the paper and on the internet of alligator/python encounters, and fortunately (so far) the gators are holding their own. Florida is starting an irradication program for the pythons, but I fear it may be a little late getting started. Hopefully they will have an open season on pythons and let the hunters get them under control. These pythons eat small kids, and unlike gators actually travel long distances to find food. Give me an alligator any day, at least I know what they are going to do.
As for snakes in general, I am used to them and do not fear a snake, as they are just trying to survive and help keep the rodent population in check. I really hate it though when I see or hear of some ignorant _$$ killling an Indigo snake, the very snake that will keep a property free of rattlers, or other harmless snake just because of a "the only good snake is a dead snake" mentality. If you just use common sense, keep brush and leaves picked up, grass trimmed around your home and logs and rocks up off the ground, you should be alright. Oh yeah, and be careful during the dry/drought seasons when the rattlers travel distances looking for water.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:24 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,105,114 times
The other day a alligator was removed from a swamp in Sevierville Tennessee - which is southeast of Knoxville in eastern Tennessee! I do not think they would live here happily in the winter, because its too cold, so it was removed and I think it was relocated to a swamp in downstate South Carolina.

When I last visited my relatives in upstate South Carolina we went walking in the subdivision. Toward the back there is a rec area and it has a huge pond that eventually turns into a swamp. It was getting dark and they talked me into going. All was fine until I starting hearing hissing and other strange noises. I think I even saw a water moccasin! I got out in a hurry. Still gives me chills!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:10 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,324,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post

That is fantastic I would love that. Bears I am used to as seen countless in PA even had a Female with 2 cubs den under an old abandoned farm house 200 yards from my house .

They are neat . I wish I had the type of wildlife here in S.Florida you have in yours minus the wild pigs . They can be dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida