Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times

Advertisements

OK, I can answer "YES" to all those questions and I'm tired of that kind of weather. I'm definitely ready for the sunshine and warmth and palm trees of Florida.

NAH, check this out. Go to Oil City, Pa detailed profile. Scroll further down the page to where they have the snowfall chart and see how much snowfall Oil City averages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 08:03 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I think that it's one of the few good things about living here. There really isn't nothing better than shorts and t-shirts year round.
I know a guy in Port St. Lucie who hasn't worn close-toed shoes in the over 20 years he's lived there!

Old 01-17-2007, 08:11 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
OK, I can answer "YES" to all those questions and I'm tired of that kind of weather. I'm definitely ready for the sunshine and warmth and palm trees of Florida.

NAH, check this out. Go to Oil City, Pa detailed profile. Scroll further down the page to where they have the snowfall chart and see how much snowfall Oil City averages.

South Dakota is far colder and snowier than Pennsylvania. You are probably in zone 5a, Oil city is zone 7a, big difference! If you want really warm, try south Georgia, I think its zone 9a and rarely snows or gets to freezing, yet its much cheaper than Florida. As for palm trees, ill be growing some when I move north. You dont need FL for palm trees, see proof:

Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
Better grow them inside. The picture you're showing in the UK is on it's south shore in the warm gulf stream.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You dont need FL for palm trees, see proof:

Please, the palm tree I planted in my backyard here in Tallahassee looked GREAT until about December when it shrivelled up and gotten brown. It was quite depressing. I had to replace it with a young oak sapling.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinenjim View Post
I gotta chime in here and list some stuff about winters in PA. Need affordable home, take heed:
I shall take heed. Oil city is zone 7a which isnt too bad, I have alot of people saying not to worry about zone 6a Des Moines, IA winters. I do worry I may not like the cold and ice of Des Moines but a milder zone like 7a and up is alot less problamatic.

Quote:
-At my old condo, I would have to gun my truck to get it up the hill into the parking lot nearly every day from Nov thru March because of ice.
Then ill park downhill or on level surface.

Quote:
-Three winters ago, a guy was literally sliced in half in my town when he slammed the front door to his house, which loosened the sheet of ice on his roof. He obviously bled out and died within seconds.
Freak accident. I will check for this, if any icicles are present, close the door slowly and gently. I could say there could be a snake perched on the roof in Florida and slamming the door causes it to fall on you, biting you and the venom kills you in half hour. Freak accidents happen anywhere.

Quote:
-Like a clean car? forget it from November until at least mid-May. It's called salt dust.
Ill just buy an old dirty car and use it till it breaks down then buy another for really cheap. I dont care at all about cars, its just to get me to point B.

Quote:
-Salt dust also gets in your lungs and is bad for people with asthma.
Its nontoxic.

Quote:
-PennDot DOES NOT salt / plow on weekends or holidays. If it snows on Christmas...You are on your own! Drive at your own risk!
Ill stay indoors and let the highs of above freezing melt the snow.

Quote:
-Hate the hot sun down in FL? Good. Prepare yourself for 6 moths with NO SUN here in PA. It's like going into a black hole. Very depressing.
Good, I wont be missing all those sunburns I get from being outside 5 minutes in the hot, direct south Florida sun. My skin will thank me

Quote:
-Since the winter sucks here, the area compensates with beefing up the Christmas season and Football. Dress in black and gold during Steeler season EVERYDAY or be outcast. Also, get used to seeing plastic santas and tacky Christmas decorations everywhere from Haloween well into spring.
I dont celebrate christmas(am jewish) so it wont affect me.

Quote:
-Suffer from dry skin? prepare to buy stock in Aveeno. Buy in bulk at Sam's and save. You will be greasing yourself up twice per day from October until June.
Its not dry in the northeast(unlike the midwest) and my skin doesnt get dry.

Quote:
-Like snow and cold weather? You better. Last year it snowed (and layed) in mid-may. No plowing or salting so we had to deal with icy roads for a week and a half until the weather finally rebounded from the mid 30's to the upper 60's (where it should have been).
I am sweating now. A little cold is what I need now. I dont mind a change of seasons as opposed to the endless summers here where I need a/c 24/7

Quote:
-Believe in global warming? Move to PA and you will be a non-believer in that silly notion.
Its often above freezing in PA. It stayed that way for most of this winter. I have checked the past history and its very common for the highs to be in the 40s, sometimes even the 50s in December, January, February! Its zone 7a so it rarely gets bitterly cold or stays below freezing for extended periods.

Quote:
-Learn to like the flu. You WILL GET IT every winter here. And it's not the fever / chills flu either. It's the puke your guts out for a week then dry heave for another week type of flu. Forget a flu shot too. They don't work on the Pennsylvania Plauge.
I have a healthy immune system and ill refrain from touching everything and wash my hands all the time.

Quote:
-Like funerals processions? Prepare to be stuck behind them on a regular basis here. Winter kills alot of old people here.
Then they dont know how to take care of themselves. I have old friends who do just fine in the winter.

Quote:
-And last (but certainly not least)...Hate those AC bills in FL? They WILL be as high here in the summer time. As for winter, prepare to spent the same if not more on your HEATING BILLS! If you live in the country, prepare to spend at least 700/month on HEATING OIL!
LOL Oil city summers average a high of 80 and a low of 60. You can check Moderator cut: link cut and city-data yourself. High latitudes are cooler year round because the sun's rays strike the surface at a slant. I have been up north before and I can assure you it was much cooler from personal experience. What could be 90 easily in south Florida was 70 in Toronto, Canada or how about the time I went to Alaska and it was 50 degrees in midsummer at noon? The sun's rays were at a long slant angle. As for heating, ill improvise and save on that. My friend pays $100 a month to heat.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
WHY??? WHY???
Take a look at this & you won't EVER have to ask again!!!!!!
Oh - & don't neglect to check out the time stamp...
The more I think about it, the more I like it...IT IS GOOD!!!!!!!! (Slightly altered King Crimson quote...)
Thank you Elfyum...this old saying definitely fits here:

A Picture IS worth a thousand words!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need_affordable_home
I am sweating now. A little cold is what I need now. I dont mind a change of seasons as opposed to the endless summers here where I need a/c 24/7
I spoke to my friend in West Palm just a half hour ago and he told me it's about 72. Open a window. It's beautiful outside where you are. It's in the 40s up here right now in North Florida.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I spoke to my friend in West Palm just a half hour ago and he told me it's about 72. Open a window. It's beautiful outside where you are. It's in the 40s up here right now in North Florida.

Opening a window doesnt really help, I am going to turn the a/c on now. Even if I go outside, its pretty warm and humid. I want some of your 48 degree Tallahassee weather, please! My god im so hot, its 85 in my room and im drenched in sweat! I think im gonna take another shower. How can anyone like that kind of heat?

Old 01-17-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Opening a window doesnt really help, I am going to turn the a/c on now. Even if I go outside, its pretty warm and humid. I want some of your 48 degree Tallahassee weather, please! My god im so hot, its 85 in my room and im drenched in sweat! I think im gonna take another shower. How can anyone like that kind of heat?
A large chunk of the world lives in hotter and more humid conditions than Southeast Florida. 72 is not hot. Neither is the average summer temperature, where in actuality, it can be MILDER in South Florida due to to sea breezes in the summer than in the middle of the Country.... like Chicago, where they freeze one season and bake the next.

I do like the weather up here better down there, although I'd like a bit of snow every now and then, but unless you're 9 months or 90 years you shouldn't be THAT intolerant of 80 degree weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida