Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:16 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,319,868 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Nah, We did a bit of checking on a few other states, but Fla. is our best option. It will cut down on the expense of vacationing since it costs quite a bit to be with family for the holidays. Naturally, that's when the airlines raise their prices. I also wish you the best of luck in Oil City or wherever you decide to move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 08:27 PM

44 posts, read 257,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdsimpson View Post
For those tired of the cold up north, would you rather sweat and have to turn the a/c on 24/7 and watch your bills soar? Will you miss the four seasons and snow for the endless summer in Florida(especially south) Are you willing to deal with crime, hurricanes and high costs of living in exchange for no cold weather? That is your choice.
I'll deal with that and more. Winters up north are more than cold weather. Did you read about how many deaths were caused by the latest winter storm?

Have you ever had your fingers or toes feel like they have been hit by a hammer because you stayed out in the cold too long?

Have you ever come to a complete stop on the interstate only to have your car slide sideways on black ice?

Have you ever had the car in front of you do donuts on black ice and and you were unable to stop?

Have you ever gone a month without seeing the sun?

Have you ever seen the destruction that a northern twister can do?

Have you ever shoveled snow until there was no place to put it?

Have you ever spent an hour or more shoveling snow at 6am so you could get your car out of the garage and drive to work on snow covered roads?

Have you ever had a snow plow go by an block your car in with snow?

Have you ever had water back up on your roof and under the shingles because of ice built up on the roof?

Have you ever had to figure out which car was yours in a parking lot because they were all buried in snow?

Have you ever had your car doors freeze up during freezing rain and you could not get in your car?

Have you ever had to stay home on Christmas because the roads were too hazardous to drive to your relative's home?

Have you ever tried to walk on an icy sidewalk without falling?

I could go on and on. Northern winters are more than cold, there a pain in the ____. Hot is uncomfortable, cold hurts.

I moved to Florida 5 years ago and I love the climate. Those of you that long to move up north can have my share of winter. The only thing I miss about Ohio is family and friends.[/quote]

hahahaha love this post!!!!! thats why im moving to ft myers asap. where at in Ohio si you live. i live in Cleveland

Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 PM

168 posts, read 760,637 times
i'm with you, tonym. i am currently in the pacific northwest - the willamette valley area. it doesn't have to get "below zero" to be unbearably cold. i didn't much feel like venturing outside this week and last when temps were down in the teens and the 20s...and the "high" at 30 degrees. puts a crimp in absolutely anything you want to do; absolutely curtails spontaneity.

even with gloves on in 30 degree weather my hand froze trying to brush off the snow from the car with a brush, open the hood, and put the charger on for an hour so it would start.

we got 6 inches of snow in the area i live, the valley floor got about 3. it snowed onto a sheet of ice and stayed there, then snowed again, had another sheet of ice on top of that...and well, what can i say. it was ice rink time on the streets and many accidents.

it's pretty to look at and at first it was all fluffy and powdery. now, it's just an icey cold mess. thank god the power didn't go out in the house i live. otherwise, it wouldn't have been "70" in here - it would have been 17 with no way to get warm and no way to cook.

i'm also thankful that we missed the horrific icestorm that hammered oklahoma and missouri. we had one of those in winter 2003-2004 and i'd thought i'd seen everything (experienced an ice storm in n.c. once), but this one took the cake. and i had to be out in it! had to walk several blocks to a place and then later, walk several blocks back home. crunched on sheets of ice under my feet the whole way. i walked soooo slow and each step had to be deliberate and thought out. i had on my slick duck shoes as they are called - you know the ones. rubber outside with a ridged rubber sole and lined inside. i didn't fall (though i have fallen on an icey sidewalk here a time or two), but only because i walked so darn slow as if walking through an active landmine field!

but for those who have easy glib answers to often times tough realities, i don't think anything we say will deter them.

i am so very much a tropics kind of person. i've always said i would much rather be taking clothes off than having to layer them on.

Last edited by florigidge; 01-18-2007 at 09:26 PM..

Old 01-18-2007, 09:26 PM

24 posts, read 137,253 times
need-affordable-home, I have been reading these threads ever since my wife and I decided to pack it in and move to Florida sometime in 2008. We live in Northern Jersey (born and raised) and HATE the weather. We woke up to a bone-chilling 19 degrees this morning. You seem to be a bit of a wise ---! I think many of us read these treads to get insight on a very important decision in one's life. Relocating your family to another state were you have no friends, family or business contacts is a very scary proposition. As a husband, father and self-employed person one wonders- Did I do all my homework on this move. I read these often to get as many points of view as possible. Your treads seem to be always negative or confrontational. You need a hobby other than being a wise ---. Try bowling, golfing or fishing, maybe that will take up enough time so others who want to help can!

Anyway, I agree with Jammie, Tonym and no-more-snow we can't wait to never see snow again (except pictures), I have had 40 years of this crappy, gray, dismal weather. The change of seasons is overrated! It means nothing but more work! Winter- shovel snow, fall- clean all those freakin' leaves (the gutters on your house are especially fun), spring- replant every thing that died during the winter (including your state of mind from being trapped in your home for 5 months w/no sun) and finally summer- when July and August days rival any summer day in Florida without the relief of your daily afternoon showers. FLORIDA HERE WE COME !!!!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2007, 11:57 PM

6 posts, read 17,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinenjim View Post
I gotta chime in here and list some stuff about winters in PA. Need affordable home, take heed:

-At my old condo, I would have to gun my truck to get it up the hill into the parking lot nearly every day from Nov thru March because of ice.

-Three winters ago, a guy was literally sliced in half in my town when he slammed the front door to his house, which loosened the sheet of ice on his roof. He obviously bled out and died within seconds.

-Like a clean car? forget it from November until at least mid-May. It's called salt dust.

-Salt dust also gets in your lungs and is bad for people with asthma.

-PennDot DOES NOT salt / plow on weekends or holidays. If it snows on Christmas...You are on your own! Drive at your own risk!

-Hate the hot sun down in FL? Good. Prepare yourself for 6 moths with NO SUN here in PA. It's like going into a black hole. Very depressing.

-Since the winter sucks here, the area compensates with beefing up the Christmas season and Football. Dress in black and gold during Steeler season EVERYDAY or be outcast. Also, get used to seeing plastic santas and tacky Christmas decorations everywhere from Haloween well into spring.

-Suffer from dry skin? prepare to buy stock in Aveeno. Buy in bulk at Sam's and save. You will be greasing yourself up twice per day from October until June.

-Like snow and cold weather? You better. Last year it snowed (and layed) in mid-may. No plowing or salting so we had to deal with icy roads for a week and a half until the weather finally rebounded from the mid 30's to the upper 60's (where it should have been).

-Believe in global warming? Move to PA and you will be a non-believer in that silly notion.

-Be prepared to strike and kill at least 3 deer with your vehicle every winter.

-Sinus problems? stock up on saline nasal spray or your sinus cavities will shrivel up and dry out and your nose will start to bleed.

-Ever try to jog in 10 degree weather? Can you say "lung burn"?

-Learn to like the flu. You WILL GET IT every winter here. And it's not the fever / chills flu either. It's the puke your guts out for a week then dry heave for another week type of flu. Forget a flu shot too. They don't work on the Pennsylvania Plauge.

-Like funerals processions? Prepare to be stuck behind them on a regular basis here. Winter kills alot of old people here.

-And last (but certainly not least)...Hate those AC bills in FL? They WILL be as high here in the summer time. As for winter, prepare to spent the same if not more on your HEATING BILLS! If you live in the country, prepare to spend at least 700/month on HEATING OIL!

I do agree with the above poster. Couple things that I like to add:

1. It's so freaken windy here in PA from Oct. to Feb. Sometimes wind speed is up to 60 mph, and we have wind about 4/7 days. I think this past Oct. we had a wind storm that killed several people in this part of the country.

2. snow storm is a killer here. last year we had one over 20", and the year before 30". these were just overnight snow storm.

as far as AC bills, I rather pay $400/month than $700-800/month on the heating oil up here. last year heating oil went up 100% here, and this year it's still on the rise.

hot is bad? yeb, at least the roads are clean and you have sunshine and beautiful sky. cold? you are living in a dark and dirty world. not only that, you still have to suffer the cought, headaches, fever, sore throat, etc... if your immune system is weak, winter up here will shorten your life.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:20 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,046,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernguy View Post
I do agree with the above poster. Couple things that I like to add:

1. It's so freaken windy here in PA from Oct. to Feb. Sometimes wind speed is up to 60 mph, and we have wind about 4/7 days. I think this past Oct. we had a wind storm that killed several people in this part of the country.

2. snow storm is a killer here. last year we had one over 20", and the year before 30". these were just overnight snow storm.

as far as AC bills, I rather pay $400/month than $700-800/month on the heating oil up here. last year heating oil went up 100% here, and this year it's still on the rise.

hot is bad? yeb, at least the roads are clean and you have sunshine and beautiful sky. cold? you are living in a dark and dirty world. not only that, you still have to suffer the cought, headaches, fever, sore throat, etc... if your immune system is weak, winter up here will shorten your life.

1. You think PA is windy, this is nothing compared to the hurricanes here.
2. 20 inches of snow overnight? Is that concentrated in one area or all over? That is a crazy amount of snow I dont mind snow but 20 inches? No thanks!
3. If heating gas/oil costs $700 a month, I might have to find a way to heat much cheaper than that or choose a warmer climate such as Alabama or Georgia or even California if those land deals arent too good to be true and they allow mobile homes(cant afford a stick/brick house)
4. It rains alot in FL. Also cold does not equal dark, it can be sunny with snow on the ground. Nothing wrong with my immune system.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:34 AM

168 posts, read 760,637 times
Norrisrose2, you're on target with your post. the guy you're posting about is young, single, most likely still lives with his folks. i don't think he's seen much of the world yet, hence, all the glib, flippant remarks. perhaps he should give international falls, minnesota, a shot.

i think you might have success with a medical billing business in florida. i would think with all the hospitals, clinics, etc. you could do quite well.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:49 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,190,237 times
Need_aff_home, I'm in NNY, about an hour south of Montreal, and about an hour west of Burlington, VT. This is not a typical winter for us; we've actually had the warmest December on record this year. This week was the first time it's been below zero this winter, which is highly unusual. I can't tell you our exact # of days below zero, but it's way too often for me.

You mentioned in an earlier post that it's not dry in the NE. You're right. It's not dry outside, but once you turn on that furnace, all you get in the house is dry air. Your skin turns into alligator skin. If you don't moisturize on a daily basis with some serious moisturizer (not the designer stuff), your skin gets red and raw and it cracks. I know some people whose skin cracks so badly it bleeds. And there's no amount of moisturizer that'll help.

I'm sorry you hate FL and you sweat the minute it reaches 70. I hope you find your home and your ideal weather. As for me, after 52 years of this stuff, I'm ready for some warm weather and sunshine. And open windows in January. Write us when you're there, ok?

Old 01-19-2007, 10:45 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,319,868 times
As for me, after 52 years of this stuff, I'm ready for some warm weather and sunshine. And open windows in January.//Unquote

NoSnow, I could've written a big part of your post because we both feel the same way about things. (And I'm still 51 ) What part of Fla. are you moving to?

Old 01-19-2007, 02:33 PM

34 posts, read 163,792 times
The South Florida portion of that map looked really good to me. I must say that it has not been very cold here too much in NYC, no where near normal. A few snow flakes that melt as soon as they fall. No real snow yet and it is already Jan. 19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida