Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 05:08 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,186,895 times

Advertisements

The people who are happiest when they relocate are the people who are running TO something rather then running AWAY from something.[/quote]

Jammie, You have such a POSITIVE outlook! We are blessed to have you on this board! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 05:08 PM

168 posts, read 760,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
The Clutter family were targeted, it would not have mattered where they lived. They were not victims of random crime
hey, no kidding. however, my point is still valid. the issue was living in a small town with "zero crime." crime is crime, random or "targeted." it didn't make their crimes any less horrific in a small town that most likely thought it was safe from the outside world, and therefore, safe from crime....in 1959.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:13 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,160,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florigidge View Post
hey, no kidding. however, my point is still valid. the issue was living in a small town with "zero crime." crime is crime, random or "targeted." it didn't make their crimes any less horrific in a small town that most likely thought it was safe from the outside world, and therefore, safe from crime....in 1959.
Your point is not valid at all. You would be statistically much safer in a place that has fewer criminals then one that is a hot bed of crime.

This is an interesting website

http://www.smalltownpapers.com

I was just looking at a paper from a town I am making an offer on some property. The big stories were a guy who was pulled over and found to be intoxicated and arrested. Another was someone's truck was stolen another was the oldest resident in town had died. These towns are a world away from what people are used to in south Florida. This kind of living may not be for everyone but I am looking forward to it.

What people forget is you are not chained to your house or town.. We can close up the house if you want and travel, go visiting or head off to Europe whatever. It is just nice to have a place like that to come home to. Coming home to Fort Lauderdale is downright depressing when we have been away. All you need to do is turn on the news for like five minutes when you walk in and you start to get sick.

Last edited by macguy; 01-18-2007 at 05:34 PM..

Old 01-18-2007, 06:38 PM

168 posts, read 760,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Your point is not valid at all. You would be statistically much safer in a place that has fewer criminals then one that is a hot bed of crime.

This is an interesting website

http://www.smalltownpapers.com

I was just looking at a paper from a town I am making an offer on some property. The big stories were a guy who was pulled over and found to be intoxicated and arrested. Another was someone's truck was stolen another was the oldest resident in town had died. These towns are a world away from what people are used to in south Florida. This kind of living may not be for everyone but I am looking forward to it.

What people forget is you are not chained to your house or town.. We can close up the house if you want and travel, go visiting or head off to Europe whatever. It is just nice to have a place like that to come home to. Coming home to Fort Lauderdale is downright depressing when we have been away. All you need to do is turn on the news for like five minutes when you walk in and you start to get sick.
the argument was about "zero crime" for small towns made by someone in this thread - and i was making a point, apparently lost on you. statistics don't cut it if you are the victim of any crime, small or large. you're not apt to yell "but statistically this shouldn't have happened to me" when you're a victim of [insert crime here] no matter where you live.

there are good places to live. and there are dicey places to live. i've lived in both and never been a personal victim of crime. my folks had a car stolen in dade county in the 70s and a truck broken into in the 80s. that was it. and we lived in blue collar hialeah amid apartment buildings and transients. our house was in a block zoned for apartments, a fact my dad didn't realize when he bought it with the GI Bill in the early 50s.

in gainesville, i was never, not once, a victim of any crime and i lived there 17 years and previously, three years as student in the 70s. and yet, statistically, gainesville was always at the top of the FBI reported crime statistics, especially when i went to UF. i think we were number two on that list then.

btw, crimes have to be reported or they do not get tabulated and therefore, do not appear on any statistical lists.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,160,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florigidge View Post
the argument was about "zero crime" for small towns made by someone in this thread - and i was making a point, apparently lost on you. statistics don't cut it if you are the victim of any crime, small or large. you're not apt to yell "but statistically this shouldn't have happened to me" when you're a victim of [insert crime here] no matter where you live.

there are good places to live. and there are dicey places to live. i've lived in both and never been a personal victim of crime. my folks had a car stolen in dade county in the 70s and a truck broken into in the 80s. that was it. and we lived in blue collar hialeah amid apartment buildings and transients. our house was in a block zoned for apartments, a fact my dad didn't realize when he bought it with the GI Bill in the early 50s.

in gainesville, i was never, not once, a victim of any crime and i lived there 17 years and previously, three years as student in the 70s. and yet, statistically, gainesville was always at the top of the FBI reported crime statistics, especially when i went to UF. i think we were number two on that list then.

btw, crimes have to be reported or they do not get tabulated and therefore, do not appear on any statistical lists.
Even in a place that is a hot bed of crime, there are victims and those that just don't put themselves in a position to be a victim. I would say a lady who exercises normal common sense would have a much better chance of not being raped then someone who spends the day hitchhiking. You obviously are not a victim type. Neither am I although I have been robbed at gun point though when I was in the bar business.

There are no places you can be certain you are safe but away from the criminal element you certainly would have a greater chance of being safe then living in a slum. That's the only point, not sure what the debate is.

Last edited by macguy; 01-18-2007 at 08:00 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 09:14 PM

4 posts, read 8,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Thousands died in Katrina because their city is below sea level and their levies broke.

I have lived in Florida since 1989 when I was 7. I HAVE been through hurricanes. During the two hurricanes that passed RIGHT through Port St. Lucie a couple years back we had some ripped screens on the back porch and some lost shingles.

I have never had to contend with alligators, and while I HAVE seen moccasins, they exist everywhere, including the nice little summer Mountain lake home my grandfather had in New Jersey.

And as far as housing goes, people put up with smaller houses to live where there's jobs, culture, and entertainment options. It's why you will spend 500K on a studio in Manhattan and 40k for a large house in Dayton, Ohio.

Excellent point!

Old 08-29-2014, 08:06 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,015,781 times
So, its been quite a while since you left FL. How did it work out for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
After 15+ years in South Florida, we moved to Indiana this year and are SO glad we did! We made more than $80K per year yet couldn't afford a nice house (because we refused to take out one of those ridiculous ARMs). Well, let me tell you. Up here you can get a 4 bedroom 2500+ sf house in a good neighborhood for WELL under $200K. Property taxes on such a house are typically under $2000 per year. And homeowner's insurance? Maybe $50 a month. Our auto insurance went down about 60% when we moved, groceries are about 25% cheaper, gas is about 15% less...need I go on? Besides the financial benefits - which are staggering - it's not crowded, the traffic's not horrendous (Glades Rd., anyone?), and people are actually COURTEOUS. And finally, the coup de grace...NO HURRICANES!

If you doubt that the United Van Lines numbers are representative of a trend, check out U-Haul's calculations. It costs 3-5 times more to take a U-Haul van OUT of Florida than it costs to take one INTO Florida. That's proof positive that there are WAY more people moving out than moving in. South Florida -- THE retirement destination of the '50s through the '90s -- is toast. Soon it'll be nothing but the migrant farm workers and the ultra-rich, because the middle-class has been frozen out. Thank God most of the rest of the U.S is still relatively sane!

------------------------------------------

Florida has become so unaffordable that when i am ready to buy a house it will be impossible to get into the market and i live here! In a way, we are forced to move to another state just to afford homes and quality living for upcoming families. We are almost better off looking for big city living (Philadelphia, Chicago, Nyc, Boston, Baltimore) soon.. it almost seems MORE affordible!

we are seeing Floridians moving to Georgia every day. I mean who could be a 5 bedroom 4 bath brick home in the mid 200's range.

We sold a nice house on a lot east of Federal in Pompano and had enough money to buy and remodel a farm house on 122 acres in southeastern KY. It is great! We love the changing seasons--and winter is not too cold! We see deer, turkey, rabbits and so many birds. We have a creek, a branch with waterfalls, mountains and fields. The quality of life is wonderful and the cost of living can't be beat. I paid $2.08 for regular gas this morning. Taxes 1K and groceries are cheaper. We miss our friends and the beach, but that's what vacations are for! Come on up!

-----------------------------------------

My home insurance went from $3500 to $9700 this year. My agent said that it will go up again next year.
My property taxes are $8000 per year.
That's $1500 per MONTH - just for tax & insurance!
I'm fortunate to be able to handle the increases but why should I give my hard earned money to the tax man & insurance agent when I can live somewhere else and spend it on my family?
My wife works for a large public utility and in her office, 6 people have left in the last year for Georgia, SC,& NC. Several more have applied for transfer.
The exodus began a long time ago. I am leaving in 2008.

All those people above and many more that I know(and read about) are leaving. How many people do you know that are leaving Florida? What reasons do they have? I am leaving and I want to take my parents with me, even if I have to pay for them, its worth giving my parents a better quality of living

Old 08-29-2014, 08:32 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,964,023 times
The OP hasn't had a new post in over 7 years.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:23 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,956,406 times
I dont think they have internet in Indiana yet.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:27 AM

734 posts, read 914,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I dont think they have internet in Indiana yet.
Des Moines is in Iowa

Edit - You ninja edited your post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida