Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

I don't think you understand what I posted...You don't subtract the amount that "didn't graduate" to get the dropout rate. Dropout rates and graduation rates are mostly (not entirely) unrelated. These stats all get confusing anyhow .

http://www.fldoe.org/news/2006/2006_...opoutRates.pdf

This is the OFFICIAL state report of both GRADUATION and DROPOUT rates. It's a tad outdated keep in mind but the best I can do for now. As of 05-06, 3.5%. I believe the current rate is 3 flat but I can't find any link to support it.

But don't worry, usually the media doesn't even know the difference between dropout rates and graduation rates, but I just want to clarify that they aren't anywhere near synonymous. Kind of like is it a robbery or a burglary for comparison...

HERE I FOUND IT!!!! . 3.3%, my b.

http://www.fldoe.org/eias/eiaspubs/pdf/dropdemo.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 03:15 AM

434 posts, read 1,482,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
LOL, yes, no, no and NO in that order.

'Cept for the beautiful water and sand (and temps of NJ and NYC).

There is so much truth to that Time piece you could spend all day deconstructing it.
Florida is in a much better state than California. California is a about to implode. Its been losing jobs to Texas do to some of its major corporations getting out of dodge.

They are this close to going bankrupt. Gov. Arnold is planning on closing MANY schools soon. Teachers without jobs, Students getting packed into other overstrained school systems. Even making concessions for higher education is on the table in CA. Wow!

Lump that together with the cost of living in California which is xTimes more than Florida with their 50 year interest only mortgages to help people who make 50K a year afford a 1/2 a mil to a million dollar house and you will have some super high stress to deal with.

California's fiscal woes largely of its own making - Los Angeles Times

Old 07-16-2008, 04:14 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I don't think you understand what I posted...You don't subtract the amount that "didn't graduate" to get the dropout rate. Dropout rates and graduation rates are mostly (not entirely) unrelated. These stats all get confusing anyhow .

http://www.fldoe.org/news/2006/2006_...opoutRates.pdf

This is the OFFICIAL state report of both GRADUATION and DROPOUT rates. It's a tad outdated keep in mind but the best I can do for now. As of 05-06, 3.5%. I believe the current rate is 3 flat but I can't find any link to support it.

But don't worry, usually the media doesn't even know the difference between dropout rates and graduation rates, but I just want to clarify that they aren't anywhere near synonymous. Kind of like is it a robbery or a burglary for comparison...

HERE I FOUND IT!!!! . 3.3%, my b.

http://www.fldoe.org/eias/eiaspubs/pdf/dropdemo.pdf

You're right I don't get it LOL

The first link agrees with the other Fl ed links I read, a graduation rate of 70 or so percent.

The second one seems to be an analysis of each demographic per county - each ethnic group's contribution so you have all these small 3% figures but the total dropout rate would have to equal about 30 percent or so if the graduation rate is 70. In my math lol.

Regardless, it sucks being last in the country!

Thanks for helping me learn Florida, though

Old 07-16-2008, 04:21 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscountry View Post
Florida is in a much better state than California. California is a about to implode. Its been losing jobs to Texas do to some of its major corporations getting out of dodge.

They are this close to going bankrupt. Gov. Arnold is planning on closing MANY schools soon. Teachers without jobs, Students getting packed into other overstrained school systems. Even making concessions for higher education is on the table in CA. Wow!

Lump that together with the cost of living in California which is xTimes more than Florida with their 50 year interest only mortgages to help people who make 50K a year afford a 1/2 a mil to a million dollar house and you will have some super high stress to deal with.

California's fiscal woes largely of its own making - Los Angeles Times
Well I agree that Ca and Fl have alot in common especially that you have Prop 13 and Florida has the similar constraint of the citizens refusing Income Taxes as a source of revenue. Well, even more than that the hot sun seems to fry the brain lol.

Significantly, the housing crisis put both Fl and Ca into numbers one and two, and I would suggest this was largely because both states had a concentration of sub prime borrowers ripe for the picking by the Countrywide and other scam artists and the citizens believing they "deserved" to own a house whether the calculator said so or not.

The Florida government calls them the victims of fraud. That's to save face, imo. Everyone with half a brain knows these were Liar Loans and you can't tell me the poor "VICTIMS" didn't cause this themselves. Now all of us get to bail them out to prevent the state from becoming a cesspool of abandoned properties.

I'd be happier if they just demolished said properties, it would decrease the population invitation and decrease the ugly, too. And CHEAPER. Instead, in Fl (and CA) Congress is making us pay for each state to buy up these homes and AGAIN RESELL THEM TO SUB PRIME OWNERS including down payment assistance.

The MAJOR difference, though, to me is that California is still always in the national average with students graduating high school at around number 30 in rank order. Florida is consistently last or near last. You can't expect an educated informed citizenry with such a lack of respect for education. This impacts all their decisions imo, from job choices, to being suckers for bad mortgages, to not giving a crap about things like Everglades to bad voting, to lousy work ethic etc.

I can't comment on the school closing thing, taxes fund schools, but at least in California they seem to attend whereas in Fl they seem to not want to be bothered. But I guess someone has to be last lol.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-16-2008 at 04:30 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 11:27 AM

208 posts, read 605,253 times
According to the 2000 Census, the % of adults 25 and older with a High School Diploma in Florida is 79.9%. In California, it's 76.8%. Florida ranks slightly above New York (79.1%). The national average is 80.4%.

UPDATE: I found some recent figures (2006). From the census website. In FL, % of adults with a high school education 84.5%; California 80.1%; New York 84.1%. National average 84.1%. So Florida isn't exactly at the bottom in that category.

However, % of adults with a college degree is 25.3% in Florida, 29.0% in California, and 31.2% in New York. National average is 27.0%. While not awful, that's where Florida needs to improve.

While I do not live in Florida anymore, I still don't like it when it people compare it to a third world country or make it worse than it really is. While I've griped about Florida, I don't make it a point to do it every post.

Last edited by blueeyes30; 07-16-2008 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 02:49 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Who are these people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
According to the 2000 Census, the % of adults 25 and older with a High School Diploma in Florida is 79.9%. In California, it's 76.8%. Florida ranks slightly above New York (79.1%). The national average is 80.4%.

UPDATE: I found some recent figures (2006). From the census website. In FL, % of adults with a high school education 84.5%; California 80.1%; New York 84.1%. National average 84.1%. So Florida isn't exactly at the bottom in that category.

However, % of adults with a college degree is 25.3% in Florida, 29.0% in California, and 31.2% in New York. National average is 27.0%. While not awful, that's where Florida needs to improve.

While I do not live in Florida anymore, I still don't like it when it people compare it to a third world country or make it worse than it really is. While I've griped about Florida, I don't make it a point to do it every post.
Are they NATIVES of Florida? Did they come from another state? Florida has a very high percentage of transplants and seniors from other states. These people were educated in another state and then move to Florida. In that case, you cannot give credit to the state of Florida for their education.

Both my husband and I have college degrees. We were not educated in Florida.

Give credit to their NATIVE States, not Florida.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Are they NATIVES of Florida? Did they come from another state? Florida has a very high percentage of transplants and seniors from other states. These people were educated in another state and then move to Florida. In that case, you cannot give credit to the state of Florida for their education.

Both my husband and I have college degrees. We were not educated in Florida.

Give credit to their NATIVE States, not Florida.
Wow - can you be any more condescending? How the heck do you know who was educated here and who wasn't? It's the superior attitudes like yours that we natives don't welcome here. And for your information, we were college educated here!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:09 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
You think anyone could get anymore snooty? LOL

Old 07-16-2008, 03:12 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Wow - can you be any more condescending? How the heck do you know who was educated here and who wasn't? It's the superior attitudes like yours that we natives don't welcome here. And for your information, we were college educated here!
I wasn't born in Florida, so don't think all of us are that condescending and just nasty!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default It's flawed statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You cannot state that because 70% of the adults with a HS diploma are a result of Florida education. This state has far too many transplants to assume that. You are giving too much credit to Florida schools with that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida