Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 12:44 PM

11 posts, read 50,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Self employed isn't a guarantee of good income. I have had ups and downs, and lately a lot of downs. Here's the qustion, if all the jobs on average are low paying why are housing costs so artificially high? Could it be from the arrogant attitude of entitled northerners and wealthy corrupt south Americans? Maybe it's just the stupidity of the lenders/borrowers.

As for me if I leave this state I am looking for an "up and comming" area. Someplace with lots of energy to be harnessed, or new industries. You Florida fantasy people can continue to praise the rising costs while I figure out how to make a real difference rebuilding the American income stream. Real estate is a liability that just will burn your "gains" in sky high taxes, insurance, maintenance, just to be flattened by a wonderful hurricane.

Energy is the money maker of the future, forget about real estate!

It sounds like you have it all figured out. People from the north pay far more for property. My house is worth 500k in Massachusetts and would probably sell for 300k there. I am not sure if you are familiar with the term taxachusetts, so I guess you can figure that out on your own (maybe). Gas prices are high every where you go. Some people here also need flood insurance and other natural disasters that occur. Maintenence is something you need to do no matter where you live, if you take pride in your own possessions. People from the north need 4 seasons of clothing and when you have children constantly growing it can cost some cash. If you live in the north, it snows. Snow suits, boots, hats, gloves, snow boards or sleds, snow tires, winterizing your car etc... I could go on for days.

People in the north have college degrees. If you think everything was so great before and the cost of living is so high, well then throw away your cell phone, internet access, and all other fake necessities we have all grown to love.

Good luck saving the world and finding energy. Speaking of energy, stop wasting your time bashing other stated and go luck for a better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 12:11 PM

155 posts, read 285,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Some folks here think they are overstated, but the fact is most are telling like it is. You can't judge just by what you read on a message board. The fact is, you can see by the postings here that there are plenty of real problems. You need to weigh the pros and cons of living here, and what is most important to you in a locale. Also, Florida is a big state, so it will really depend on where you want to live.
I agree with the idea of sitting down and writing the pros and cons.

I think the most understated/downplayed problems are:

1. Crime
2. Property taxes
3. Home insurance. Some people seem to think insurance is only high in the coast. Nah, it's abd everywhere!
4. Car insurance. I am surpsied no one seems to talk about it! It is soooooo expensive, it's insane!
5. Traffic. It's getting New York City bad.

The most overstated problems are:

1. Overcorwding. It is bad, real bad, but not as bad as NYC or Boston.
2. Date rapes. It happens in bars and college parties, but not like I have heard people claim it happens everywhere, 24/7. Come on now...

Old 01-29-2007, 07:03 PM

232 posts, read 886,893 times
I did a recent search for jobs as a nurse and was suprised at the vacancies they are everywhere. Some even offering bonuses and relocation assistance. The salary is higher to than here.

Need affordable home if your analysis is correct then nobody could get a home. I dont see to many homes being built for 50K. I find the banks being pretty stringent on giving loans due to the foreclosure risk.

I have 3 coworkers who moved down to FL last year and had jobs before they moved and are doing quite fine. as a matter of fact, one just had a baby and loves it. She is a nurse and he is in the military and they live in a home they had built last summer and paid 200k for it. I am not saying FL doesnt have problems but I am just trying to let need affordable home see it can be done!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Lots of forclosures going on, it was in my newspaper. People have been doing some creative financing. A $200k house in south FL leaves alot to desire and its in an unsafe neighboor. My dad has a PHD and he wouldnt be able to afford his house today, this tells alot. Frankly its no longer about money but lifestyle. Even if I won the lotto, im outta here, theres better locations without all the hurricanes, crime, traffic, illegals and houses are better for cheaper.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 PM

232 posts, read 886,893 times
need affordable home. She lives near titusville on a restricted (not a community) property her homeowner dues are 250 a year. She said it is a nice neighborhood with all new homes. Perhaps her and her mother who live there ( they both built about a year apart) are lying to me. Hummmm

I know she is near a private beach that they can use when no shuttles are being launched.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:10 AM

70 posts, read 354,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
If she took a "fancy" loan, I smell forclosure. The only way that low salary can afford a $179k house is if you have a downpayment of near 100% and have low insurance and property taxes. If I made under $30k being self employed, id be looking at houses in the $20k to $50k range or ill go broke!
I called her and got the facts... Sorry, correction - she makes 34k and her house was 135k.

Still, overall there is no chance in hell you can do that here in NY. Rent is $1,800 for a small 1 bed room apartment. I pay $2,900 for my mortgage and I think it's insane! I purchased my home 12 years ago for $156k did some fixing up and refi (big mistake) now I'm at $250k.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:22 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperreta View Post
I called her and got the facts... Sorry, correction - she makes 34k and her house was 135k.

Still, overall there is no chance in hell you can do that here in NY. Rent is $1,800 for a small 1 bed room apartment. I pay $2,900 for my mortgage and I think it's insane! I purchased my home 12 years ago for $156k did some fixing up and refi (big mistake) now I'm at $250k.
A $250,000 mortage with a payment of $2,900 is at 11.5%!

Now, if you are including taxes and insurance, that's a different story.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 AM

214 posts, read 663,962 times
The problem with the housing market in Florida is that there isn't a lot of "middle tier" homes. I currently live in Pensacola. I settled for less house that I would have liked. The reason- there wasn't a lot between 170000 and 225000. There was a glut of houses from 50k to 160k and then a glut of houses from 250k and up. Not much in between.

I have been looking at houses in Raleigh, NC and a 150k house there is similar to 150k house here. The difference is that you can get an excellent house there for 190 that would cost 250 here.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:19 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,843 times
Why are people comparing New York to Florida? The two are completely different. There is substance to New York. There is no substance to Florida, it's all fluff. The cost of living is higher in New York, but so are salaries. Regardless, there are more places to live than New York or Florida...like, the rest of the world.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:08 PM

669 posts, read 3,194,272 times
I have to say that the whole "salaries higher in NY (or any other expensive place like CA)" doesn't really cut it. Okay, you might make $3 more an hour. I don't think it covers the cost of living just because of the somewhat higher salaries. I'm just saying, don't mislead people. If you make $30k in Florida, you might make $40k in say, NY. It doesn't mean you'll live the same way there or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida