Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:14 PM

1,247 posts, read 919,650 times

Advertisements

It doesn't cut it? Then please explain where the good people of New York who make $40k/year are living. In cardboard boxes?

Comparing New York to Florida is ridiculous. The two are completely different. Florida makes nothing. Nothing, except diseased oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 04:32 PM

669 posts, read 3,184,553 times
You compared NY to Florida. "Cost of living in NY is higher, but so are the salaries".

A higher salary in a state obviously means expenses are higher. So just because you get paid $10k more in New York vs. Florida, you're not gonna be living some high life or something. You'll be in much the same conditions, or maybe worse, financially, as Florida.

And comparing NY to Florida is not ridiculous. Florida is a moderate cost of living. NY is a high one. There's nothing wrong with comparing them on that level.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:00 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,114,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Why are people comparing New York to Florida? The two are completely different. There is substance to New York. There is no substance to Florida, it's all fluff. The cost of living is higher in New York, but so are salaries. Regardless, there are more places to live than New York or Florida...like, the rest of the world.
I lived in NY for 36 years. The Village and then Westchester. What do you call "substance". If you want to go out, you pay an arm and a leg for parking, theater tickets, any slightly decent dinner, the winter clothes, the car maintenance, the rat race, day in, day out. What's substance?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:32 AM

70 posts, read 353,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
A $250,000 mortage with a payment of $2,900 is at 11.5%!

Now, if you are including taxes and insurance, that's a different story.
No that includes taxes and insurance of course... I would be nuts to take a mortgage at 11%

Old 02-06-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Why are people comparing New York to Florida? The two are completely different. There is substance to New York. There is no substance to Florida, it's all fluff. The cost of living is higher in New York, but so are salaries. Regardless, there are more places to live than New York or Florida...like, the rest of the world.
I don't compare the two... The link is merely because everyone from New York in most cases is moving to FL. So, I think it creates a link by default. I understand there is an extreme difference between the two states no doubt about that. However, I was offered a job there with a salary of 85K. I currently make 98K. Now the difference being, If I sold my house here I would walk away with about 225K cash for a house there. Hence, no or little mortgage. So now I would be making 85k (a little less money) less a 2,900 mortgage payment a month and maybe a small mortgage of about $200 - $300 a month just for tax purposes. That's the only comparison I use. I know the lifestyle is different by far and I'm prepared for that.

-rjp

Old 02-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
I have to say that the whole "salaries higher in NY (or any other expensive place like CA)" doesn't really cut it. Okay, you might make $3 more an hour. I don't think it covers the cost of living just because of the somewhat higher salaries. I'm just saying, don't mislead people. If you make $30k in Florida, you might make $40k in say, NY. It doesn't mean you'll live the same way there or anything.

Hey, newsflash - 60k in NY don't cut it anymore... Both parents have to work and bring in a income of at least 100k to live a decent life where you don't have to struggle to much. Just to say I live in NY just doesn't cut it for me...

Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I lived in NY for 36 years. The Village and then Westchester. What do you call "substance". If you want to go out, you pay an arm and a leg for parking, theater tickets, any slightly decent dinner, the winter clothes, the car maintenance, the rat race, day in, day out. What's substance?
I couldn't have said it better. Not to mention, every time you turn around your getting a ticket for $65.00 for an expired meter in front of a hospital no less when your family is sick and in need. Please, don't get me started on Bloomberg and his tactics cause I'm so fed up with that homo that I would love nothing more than to punch him square in the face. The city is about nothing more than squeezing the life out of the working class. New York is and will become a rich state with a bunch of homeless people. Substance, there is none. How about you work ten + years riding the LIRR, dealing with people's attitudes, standing for an hour because there's no seats, standing on the platform in the freezing weather waiting for a late train just to work in the city so you can make that extra 20K than working on LI. To pay off that great 1300sqft house you just closed on for $520k. Give me a break, please...

Old 02-06-2007, 09:57 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,114,595 times
Oh Rperreta... I had almost forgotten about all those other "perks" of living in NY. Thanks! :-)
Honestly, Florida, namely Miami, may have a ton of problems but I won't trade it. I left NY 10 years ago and I never, for one second, missed NY.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:59 PM

162 posts, read 228,130 times
Those who don't like Florida should MOVE!! If all those on this board and their kindred spirits would move back north the cost of renting/owning would go down!!

Old 09-19-2008, 06:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,598,107 times
Default I will when I can retire in about 5 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1077 View Post
Those who don't like Florida should MOVE!! If all those on this board and their kindred spirits would move back north the cost of renting/owning would go down!!
back to NY and take my State of Florida Pension with me. Thank you Florida and good riddance.

That is the ONLY satisfaction I get from living in this state. Who will have the last laugh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida